PMAG's

PMAG's

This is a discussion on PMAG's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wanting to know if it is fine to keep say 25 rounds of 5.56 in a pmag for long periods of time ?? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PMAG's

PMAG's

I am wanting to know if it is fine to keep say 25 rounds of 5.56 in a pmag for long periods of time ?? Thx for the advice since new to the AWESOME AR 15
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

It won't hurt anything, you can load them to 30 though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thx Buckeye...How long can the rounds stay in without weakening the spring I wonder ??
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

The biggest thing that damages springs made of modern metal is xcessive repeated compression/de-compression. My understanding is that generally as long as the spring stays in one position, it won't wear the spring out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I have 4 of them and always keep them loaded with 30. I have read numerous sites saying it wont hurt anything......i mean obliviously i wont leave them like that for 10 years without ever shooting them....but for the amount of time youll keep them loaded it wont hurt them.

Thx guys I appreciate your input....Buckeye I like the Little Miami blog and shooting in the cold...Makes tons of sense..thx

+1 on Buckeye's response. Spring fatigue will occur from loading/unloading, not from staying static (loaded or otherwise). This is not always the way for the exotic mags like the drums that hold 100 or more rounds. Pretty much anything you do with them breaks em down.
    I keep dozens of PMAGs loaded in my safe. I actually put 29 in all of them just out of shear habit and superstition.

I assume you folks use the clip to keep the spring force off the feed lips?
    HotGuns likes this.

Senior Moderator
    If you do keep them loaded for extended periods, be sure to put the retainer clip back on the top of the magazine. This protects the lips and keeps them from spreading while under pressure.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have 1 PMAG and 5 TAPCO Molded mags, I keep 4 loaded with at least 15 at all times and rotate 2 out every 6 months or so just so the rounds dont continually put pressure on the feed lips and so I am not keeping old ammo around longer than needed. I dont think the follower puts any pressure on the feed lips when the mag is empty so that is not a worry. Like buckeye stated the worst thing to do is load and unload frequently. The PMAGs are nice because they have the cover that you can put on when loaded so the pressure is not on the feed lips but the TAPCO mags are so inexpensive it's almost a no brainer.

Yup

I did put the clip back on the top...Thx for all the advice

As others have stated, springs weaken due to repeated compression/decompression. Leaving them empty or full for a long period of time doesn't matter.

I recently read about someone acquiring a WW2 vintage 1911 with WW2 dated ammo in the mag from their grandparents. Apparently it was loaded since the war as it was sitting in a drawer of the old couple's home as a HD gun. Magazine worked flawlessly.

Load your mags full and keep them that way without concern. They'll still work for your grandchildren to have fun with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    Thx guys I appreciate your input....Buckeye I like the Little Miami blog and shooting in the cold...Makes tons of sense..thx
    Thanks
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

To Be honest I would buy some replacement springs if you can afford it due to the fact that over time from shooting they will wear out,and with never knowing if they will ban 30 round mags in the near future it never hurts to make sure you have spare components
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links