My 930 SPX let me down today - Page 2

My 930 SPX let me down today

This is a discussion on My 930 SPX let me down today within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Improvise, adapt, and overcome then Marine Well, had there been any rocks in my treestand, I would have....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My 930 SPX let me down today

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Improvise, adapt, and overcome then Marine
    Well, had there been any rocks in my treestand, I would have.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Fix bayonets!!!

How long were you out in the cold? Is it possible you went from a warm environment (vehicle) into the cold and then had condensation freeze inside the gun? Maybe next time you need to...uhh...pour some warm liquid on the gun. Ahem. Look up "Frozen Chosin."

If you put some tape on the bolt face, or on the base of a spent shell or snap cap, you should be able to tell if the firing pin is working properly now.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Fix bayonets!!!

How long were you out in the cold? Is it possible you went from a warm environment (vehicle) into the cold and then had condensation freeze inside the gun? Maybe next time you need to...uhh...pour some warm liquid on the gun. Ahem. Look up "Frozen Chosin."

If you put some tape on the bolt face, or on the base of a spent shell or snap cap, you should be able to tell if the firing pin is working properly now.
    I got in the tree stand about 6:30, saw the deer about 8:45, and still wasn't in direct sunlight at that time. It was still a bit chilly.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'm no gunsmith. I do have a Mossberg 500. I have had it go click twice. both times I was aiming at a turkey at close range. I figured out the the adrenaline had the better of me and I was pulling the pump rearward. It seems just enough so that the shell is no longer seated properly? Not sure if that is what happened with you but now I just make sure to put a bit of forward pressure on the pump. No problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    I'm no gunsmith. I do have a Mossberg 500. I have had it go click twice. both times I was aiming at a turkey at close range. I figured out the the adrenaline had the better of me and I was pulling the pump rearward. It seems just enough so that the shell is no longer seated properly? Not sure if that is what happened with you but now I just make sure to put a bit of forward pressure on the pump. No problems since.
    The 930 SPX is a semi-auto, so no chance of that happening. And after pulling back the charging handle on subsequent rounds the bolt was released, not ridden forward, so it would have been seated fully
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The 930 SPX is a semi-auto, so no chance of that happening. And after pulling back the charging handle on subsequent rounds the bolt was released, not ridden forward, so it would have been seated fully
    Got it. Sorry that happened. Hard to find time to hit the deer woods. So, I know that's frustrating. Good luck, hope you find your answer.

I just field stripped my 930,unless you took the firing pin out there is no way you could mess it up,If you removed the trigger group assembly you should be able to tell if it has enough hammer spring tension when you cock the hammer.In the winter time too much lube is worse than no lube.
    Push in on the back of the firing pin with something so it will go all the way in and make sure the point is protruding thru the breech face,The only lube I use is a little on the bolt assembly slide rails.
    I would use something like degreaser or brake cleaner and spray the bolt assembly and firing pin hole,then wipe it clean.then lightly lube the slide rail guides on the bolt assembly and reassemble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I just field stripped my 930,unless you took the firing pin out there is no way you could mess it up,If you removed the trigger group assembly you should be able to tell if it has enough hammer spring tension when you cock the hammer.In the winter time too much lube is worse than no lube.
    Push in on the back of the firing pin with something so it will go all the way in and make sure the point is protruding thru the breech face,The only lube I use is a little on the bolt assembly slide rails.
    I would use something like degreaser or brake cleaner and spray the bolt assembly and firing pin hole,then wipe it clean.then lightly lube the slide rail guides on the bolt assembly and reassemble
    The firing pin looks fine. Not broken at all, still rounded like always.

I will see what happens when I try to shoot the gun when it is a bit warmer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Took the SPX to the range today. Along with a sample of 4 different types of shell.

All 4 shells fired, but 3 of them took two attempts. The primer strikes also appeared rather light on the shells.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I lost a bit of confidence in my Rem 870 when it has repeatedly failed to extract (as in locked-up gun) target loads. Only way to open the action was to slam the butt on a firm surface. No issues with the shorter barrel and buckshot - but I don't shoot nearly as many of those as I do target loads on the skeet field.
    I have also experienced this issue with an 870 Express. In my amateur opinion it was caused by the cheap winchester target loads I was shooting. I switched to the federal target loads available at Walmart (same price as the winchester) and never experienced the problem again. If you compare the hull of each type of shell you will notice the metal ring at the base is more substantial on the federal round versus the winchester. My assumption was that the hull of the winchester shell was expanding more in the chamber than the federal rounds leading to more difficult extraction.

What brand of ammo where you using when you had this problem?

Took the SPX to the range today. Along with a sample of 4 different types of shell.

All 4 shells fired, but 3 of them took two attempts. The primer strikes also appeared rather light on the shells.
    Seems like you need someone to look at that shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    I have also experienced this issue with an 870 Express. In my amateur opinion it was caused by the cheap winchester target loads I was shooting. I switched to the federal target loads available at Walmart (same price as the winchester) and never experienced the problem again. If you compare the hull of each type of shell you will notice the metal ring at the base is more substantial on the federal round versus the winchester. My assumption was that the hull of the winchester shell was expanding more in the chamber than the federal rounds leading to more difficult extraction.

What brand of ammo where you using when you had this problem?
    I thought it was the Winchester ammo as well...until the same thing happened several times with the Federal ammo. I'm not sure the brass on either of them is actual brass anymore - it looks like mild steel...?

In any case, I polished the chamber to see if the issue clears up. Just have not had the opportunity to get back to the trap field since. I'm thinking of getting a polishing wheel for my power drill (don't have a Dremel) to polish it up even more, but I don't want to mess it up, either.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member

I know this seems silly but is something causing your barrel to not seat fully? It could be just a tiny bit of dirt or something and it is creating this issue by creating just a little slop.

I figured I would update this thread, I know there have been a couple threads about SPX's lately. Over the weekend I stopped by the range really quick to test fire a M&P 9, and took along the 930 SPX. It was overcast, but sweatshirt weather, about 50°, so well above freezing.

This time around not only did the shotgun fail to fire on the first strike for several of the 12 rounds I shot, it turned into a single shot shotgun. I got 3 stovepipes and 9 FTEs, without a single firing sequence going correctly. This was with Federal target loads, which I have probably fired a couple hundred through the shotgun without issue previously.

So, today I shot off an e-mail to Mossberg's CS explaining the issue, so I suppose that I will see what happens when they respond and will update accordingly.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I figured I would update this thread, I know there have been a couple threads about SPX's lately. Over the weekend I stopped by the range really quick to test fire a M&P 9, and took along the 930 SPX. It was overcast, but sweatshirt weather, about 50°, so well above freezing.

This time around not only did the shotgun fail to fire on the first strike for several of the 12 rounds I shot, it turned into a single shot shotgun. I got 3 stovepipes and 9 FTEs, without a single firing sequence going correctly. This was with Federal target loads, which I have probably fired a couple hundred through the shotgun without issue previously.

So, today I shot off an e-mail to Mossberg's CS explaining the issue, so I suppose that I will see what happens when they respond and will update accordingly.
    Dang that sucks. I hope it gets fix quickly and correctly so that you will be happy and have confidence in it again. God Bless

VIP Member
    Bummer. I hope they treat you right.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links