I SKSed today

This is a discussion on I SKSed today within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently I been searching for an SKS after getting beat to the draw on a Norinco I saw in advertised local for $260 that I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By accessbob

Thread: I SKSed today

I SKSed today

Recently I been searching for an SKS after getting beat to the draw on a Norinco I saw in advertised local for $260 that I thought was a good deal. After a few phone calls to local dealers I found two (new surplus) at a great price ($235) near me. I drove out to look this morning and after checking out the two SKSs they had on the shelf, I brought one home this morning. The other SKS has a little nicer stock, but the metal work on the one I picked seems to have a smoother and flusher fitting appearance. The bores on both were dirty, but I could not see any rust or pits on either. It has a darker stock, not the light colored wood Im used to seeing from China SKSs
    One site I found dated it to late 1956 with the 6 digit serial number. It does have the 26 in a triangle on the left of the receiver. So I believe it was made at the Jianshe Arsenal in China. There is a C.A.I. Georgia, VT stamped on the barrel which I believe means it was imported by Century Arms International located in in Georgia Vermont. That is about all I have found out (or guessed at) so far. I need to clean it real good, oil the stock and buy some ammo to test it out next.
    SKS reciever smaller.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Nice. I have a lot of friends in Wisconsin who have SKS's for deer hunting, great bargain rifle. Congrats!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I remember when you could buy them all day long for $69 and 1000 rounds of ammo from $59 to $69,those days are gone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I remember when you could buy them all day long for $69 and 1000 rounds of ammo from $59 to $69,those days are gone
    As are the days of 69 per gallon gas.
    Jgriner likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellB View Post
    ... (new surplus)...The bores on both were dirty, ...
    Sure that isn't just Cosmoline? I made that mistake on a Mosin M44 I almost bought but didn't because the barrel looked dirty as all get out. And then I got home and realized it was Cosmoline as it was a "new" surplus and not a "used" gun where someone would have cleaned it out then. Turned out okay though as I recently got an M38 Carbine which I like better than the M44.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Dirty bores are common on surplus, especially com-bloc stuff. I've been collecting for almost a decade and don't think I've ever seen an import with a bright bore "out of the crate". No problem though, they shoot just as good as a shiney one.

Good deal on the SKS! I hope you keep it as-is and don't try to "tacticool" it...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I hope you keep it as-is and don't try to "tacticool" it...
    Why not? Then the ones that are not become rarer and are thus worth more. LOL
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I like shooting mine. Spend some time cleaning it up. Then it is range time. I tried the ak look a like detachable mags but the stipper clip system works best. There are some buys out there on the ammo if you shop hard!

If I can find one in PA for a good price, that will be my Christmas gun. Nice score.

Very nice. The SKS is hard to beat as far as fun for the money goes. Congratulations on a nice purchase!

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Why not? Then the ones that are not become rarer and are thus worth more. LOL

Amen. Bottom one has a serial number of 19XX. Now THAT is old

I love mine. Accurate enough for a variety of purposes and so much fun and easy to shoot, clean and maintain. I am seriously considering getting another one as they are cheap in the gun spectrum and so is the ammo. Now a days I usually buy brown bear ammo for mine. The only ammo issues I have had was with Tula. Most people's will eat anything, but 500 rds for $110-120 isn't bad imo.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Links