AR15 Carbine handguards

This is a discussion on AR15 Carbine handguards within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You want the ones with like these sold under many brands They go over in front and snap in back then secure to them self ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: AR15 Carbine handguards

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,245
    You want the ones with like these sold under many brands They go over in front and snap in back then secure to them self with 4 allen screws once installed they are rock solid Drop ins will move no madder how good they are.
    No movement You can spend a lot more but are you getting anything for the money? Watch the short Video at the end of the page.
    AR15 M4 Quad Rail 6.5 Hand guard Duo Rail Style

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You want the ones with like these sold under many brands They go over in front and snap in back then secure to them self with 4 allen screws once installed they are rock solid Drop ins will move no madder how good they are.
    No movement You can spend a lot more but are you getting anything for the money? Watch the short Video at the end of the page.
    AR15 M4 Quad Rail 6.5 Hand guard Duo Rail Style
    so you are saying you don't "always" get what you pay for.
    Drgnfly likes this.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    so you are saying you don't "always" get what you pay for.
    You could look at it that way.
    The ones I posted work very well for AR they are strong and mount solid what more can you ask for.
    I can post a link to some 150-300 dollar ones.
    They hold my stuff right where it needs to stay on a couple AR's

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    so you are saying you don't "always" get what you pay for.
    You could look at it that way.
    The ones I posted work very well for AR they are strong and mount solid what more can you ask for.
    I can post a link to some 150-300 dollar ones.
    They hold my stuff right where it needs to stay on a couple AR's

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,170
    There's no comparing a $60 handguard (less the MOE) to a $200 handguard. Weight, rigidity, durability, quality of materials, the company itself, etc., all come into play here.

    They may work for general use, but I would never recommend one for any professional or defensive use, ESPECIALLY if mounting a laser or front sight. I'd also never recommend a cheap optic or a polymer lower.... Call me crazy. I'm not saying that nobody should ever use them, I just don't think they are anywhere near the quality of the better options. If I want cheap, I'd go MOE.

    Also, the cheaper ones are usually heavier. Almost 12 ounces for the one liked above. I think my 12" RIS II and barrel nut together weigh something like 17 ounces. The cheaper one would weigh something like 27 ounces including the barrel nut. The Centurion Arms hand guards are even lighter. I think their 12" is something like 13 ounces.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    There's no comparing a $60 handguard (less the MOE) to a $200 handguard. Weight, rigidity, durability, quality of materials, the company itself, etc., all come into play here.

    They may work for general use, but I would never recommend one for any professional or defensive use, ESPECIALLY if mounting a laser or front sight. I'd also never recommend a cheap optic or a polymer lower.... Call me crazy. I'm not saying that nobody should ever use them, I just don't think they are anywhere near the quality of the better options. If I want cheap, I'd go MOE.

    Also, the cheaper ones are usually heavier. Almost 12 ounces for the one liked above. I think my 12" RIS II and barrel nut together weigh something like 17 ounces. The cheaper one would weigh something like 27 ounces including the barrel nut. The Centurion Arms hand guards are even lighter. I think their 12" is something like 13 ounces.
    Understand your point I own some expensive stuff my self just making the point it is often bagging rights over kill and makes no real difference I have beat the heck out of these type hand guards and never had one fail nor has it effect one shot or ever come lose.
    And I have seen many 180-200 ones that are no better. Lot of stuff out there for AR's

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array aus71383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,543
    If it were me, I'd get Daniel Defense.

    Austin

  9. #23
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,136
    So I had to improvise,adapt and overcome! That being said I did what any warrior would do...... I went to ebay and purchased a used Knights Armament. I hope it will be best of both, low cost and high quality part light weight. Already has its first scratch ( I don't mind )I will post photos next week. ( Yes I do hate ebay and pay pal ) The seller had been a member for many years with 100% pos feedback from buyers. Of course it could be fake from China but the photos were great and I felt good about it.
    atctimmy likes this.

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Understand your point I own some expensive stuff my self just making the point it is often bagging rights over kill and makes no real difference I have beat the heck out of these type hand guards and never had one fail nor has it effect one shot or ever come lose.And I have seen many 180-200 ones that are no better. Lot of stuff out there for AR's
    I certainly agree, there are just certain things I'll only buy higher quality. Then again, I've broken two KAC URX II's. Both had the integrated front sights break and one sheared at the barrel but somehow. So, more expensive certainly isn't always better...

    When the URX II was first released, it was nearly $500. They went down to about $300. Not sure what they are now. Great handguards, but you need the steel barrel nut instead of the aluminum one, and their new rail without the sight would be my choice if buying another..... Which I doubt, unless it's on a 9" 300blk upper..... Which I canceled my layaway on for a Nighthawk.

    I've never had any problems with Daniel Defense. Now that's all I use but will be adding a Centurion eventually.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  11. #25
    los
    los is offline
    VIP Member Array los's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    2,501
    My rail is a Centurion C4 [12"]. It was an extremely easy install ..:

    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,245
    Issue I run into now is Most will not work with my Gas Piston AR's just not enough clearance . I did try to refit an Aluminum one to allow the rod to slide but it failed Had to remove to much. Another addition to the bad idea box.
    Adams Arms does market a selection that are designed for the Gas Piston This will not be an issue as the Gas piston market is growing fast.
    In the world of AR there is so much out there . From high dollar out of this world to Junk.
    Not everyone needs or can afford a 2000 dollar tricked out AR some times they need an affordable will work AR that won't take food from the kids.
    Man I remember looking at a 25 dollar Marlin .22 at a rummage sale one time and could not spare the 25 bucks.
    Today I can have what I want .
    Every American at age 21 should get a 2000 dollar tax credit once in their life to buy a fire arm. Are you with me.

  13. #27
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,136
    [QUOTE=Smitty901;2471530n
    Every American at age 21 should get a 2000 dollar tax credit once in their life to buy a fire arm. Are you with me.[/QUOTE]

    IN!

    new thread??

  14. #28
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Every American at age 21 should get a 2000 dollar tax credit once in their life to buy a fire arm. Are you with me.
    IN!

    new thread?

    (sorry missed one letter)

  15. #29
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,136
    The Knights Armaments RAS hand guards came in today. I installed them on the M4 rifle. Used was the way to go! These are very light weight, have a heat shield and huge vent holes on the top side. They are very secure for "drop in" hand guards. They have an additional clip on the front, along with a lockdown on the back inside. The removable covers are spring loaded and have a great feel. I don't know if they are worth +$250 bucks but these are really nice. Mine were well under a hundred since I found them used. I will update with some photos and compare them with the UTB guards from Fleet Farm on my other M4. the UTB were $54.99. But I have not seen them since. UTB ones are much heavier, no extra heat shield, no lock down springs or clips.
    They do fit very well.

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    The Knights Armaments RAS hand guards came in today. I installed them on the M4 rifle. Used was the way to go! These are very light weight, have a heat shield and huge vent holes on the top side. They are very secure for "drop in" hand guards. They have an additional clip on the front, along with a lockdown on the back inside. The removable covers are spring loaded and have a great feel. I don't know if they are worth +$250 bucks but these are really nice. Mine were well under a hundred since I found them used. I will update with some photos and compare them with the UTB guards from Fleet Farm on my other M4. the UTB were $54.99. But I have not seen them since. UTB ones are much heavier, no extra heat shield, no lock down springs or clips.


    They do fit very well.
    Good it all worked out for you. AR's are so much fun you can play dress up with them for years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ar 15 carbine handguard
,

ar 15 handguards carbine

,

best ar 15 handguard

,
best ar handguard
,

best ar handguards

,
best ar15 handguard
,

best carbine handguard

,
best forearm for ar15
,

best handguard for ar 15

,
best handguard for ar 15 carbine
,

best looking ar15 handguard

,
how to install centurion carbine cutout
Click on a term to search for related topics.