OK then, let's talk about the Benelli M2 Tactical and the M4 Tactical

This is a discussion on OK then, let's talk about the Benelli M2 Tactical and the M4 Tactical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hmmm, some points about weight. The M4 weighs 7.8 lbs; the Remington 870 Express Tactical pump weighs 7.5 lbs - less than 4% lighter than ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OK then, let's talk about the Benelli M2 Tactical and the M4 Tactical

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, some points about weight.

The M4 weighs 7.8 lbs; the Remington 870 Express Tactical pump weighs 7.5 lbs - less than 4% lighter than the M4. A typical AR carbine weighs about 6.85 lbs unless it's a piston version which puts the weight up to about 7.3 lbs. However, a Benelli M2 only weighs about 6.7 lbs, so it is lighter than the M4 but only by about 13%.

870's with an extended mag tube, sidesaddle, and forend with light, e.g. Wilson Combat's Standard tactical shotgun, weighs in at about 8.6 lbs and that's pretty much the standard setup for a tactical shotgun and that weight is pretty well accepted.

The value of weight is softer recoil. I have an M2 Tactical (6.7 lbs) and it has a harsh, hard recoil. I know, because I shot 20 rounds of low recoil 00 and 10 rounds of slugs through it and had a sore shoulder for a day or so - and I know how to mount and shoot a shotgun.

Then I took my 870 tactical, essentially a Wilson Combat Standard model, about 8.6 lbs and shot the same 20 and 10 rounds through it as I did through the M2 and then 25 more rounds of #7.5 shot after that for a total of 55 rounds - the recoil was mild - no sore shoulder.

Weight is a two-edged sword. Heavier is more to carry of course, but easier on the shoulder and faster on follow-up shots. Lighter is less to carry, but hard on the shoulder and is slower on followup shots.

So if you carry little and shoot a lot, like I do, the heavier is a definite advantage. If you carry a shotgun a lot and don't shoot it much, then lighter might be better.

I'll be shooting my Benelli M4 for the first time today and report back what I find.

Plus, the M4 is a bit more than just heavy and expensive. I believe it is parkerized and hardened in some other ways that I can't recall now. Also, and I'll have to confirm this, I believe M4's will cycle lighter loads than M2's. I base this on the fact that the Benelli spec sheet for the M2 has a minimum recommended load, and the M4 does not. Of course that's only an indicator and doesn't mean the M4 will shoot a lighter load. But again, the heavier weight of the M4 should help it shoot a lighter load.

The M2 tactical and M4 both come stock as 5+1 guns and extension tubes are available for both, plus unique quick detach side saddles with capacities of 4, 5, 6, & 8 rounds, are available for the M4. And full length rails are available for M4s.
    aus71383 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links