Let's review the legality of adding a mag extension to a Benelli shotgun...

This is a discussion on Let's review the legality of adding a mag extension to a Benelli shotgun... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A while back there was a thread discussing Federal Law 922R ( I believe that's the number ) and how it applies to adding an ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Let's review the legality of adding a mag extension to a Benelli shotgun...

Senior Moderator

Let's review the legality of adding a mag extension to a Benelli shotgun...

A while back there was a thread discussing Federal Law 922R ( I believe that's the number ) and how it applies to adding an extension tube to a Benelli shotgun.

The thought was that since the Benelli is an imported shotgun, that adding a mag extension would put it in violation of the law. However, it seems, that if you add the extension, and two other US made parts, it would comply with the law. But.....

You can buy mag extensions of all kinds for the Benelli shotguns and no retailer I've seen so far so much as even mentions the possible violation of 922R. So I thought maybe the conflict was with the M4 because of the pistol grip, but the same situation exists for the M4 - lot's of sellers of mag extensions but no mention of the possible violation of the law.

Thoughts???
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    THe 922R regulations apply to manufacturers that manufacture for resale....not to civilians hotrodding their personal stuff.

Just do it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Many thanks HotGuns! That makes sense - there are too many people selling extensions and installing them, esp. for 3 gun competitions, for it to be a legality problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    THe 922R regulations apply to manufacturers that manufacture for resale....not to civilians hotrodding their personal stuff.

Just do it.
    18 U.S.C. 922(r) says, "It shall be unlawful for any person...", blah blah blah. There are exemptions for manufacturers supplying the government, but I don't see anything that exempts private owners.

Can you clarify or cite a source for your comment? Not trying to nitpick - I'd really like to know for sure how the law applies.

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Moderator
    I talked to a gun tech support guy at Brownell's. He said, what is illegal is imported tubes. Hence, one cannot put Benelli tubes manufactured in Italy on a Benelli shotgun, or any other shotgun for that matter, not that it would fit anything else, still....

But, he said it was not illegal to put tubes made in the US on a Benelli shotgun.

That's not legal advice, but there has to be something to this; there are just too many people selling US made tubes and too many people adding these to their M1, M2, & M4 shotguns without a mention of it being illegal.

If it were illegal, I would think all the organizers of the 3 gun events would be liable for encouraging the use of and allowing the use of illegal weapons.

Links