Starting to save for first AR - Page 2

Starting to save for first AR

This is a discussion on Starting to save for first AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 You keep talking about passing it they will not go that route it will be executive order and or Court order. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Starting to save for first AR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You keep talking about passing it they will not go that route it will be executive order and or Court order.
    If you have been watching that is how they are doing everything by passing Congress.
    And it is working.
    Yup. Pay attention to that^^^^
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I like the above mention of a Stripped receiver. Or maybe just get a full lower and decide on the upper at a later date. At least you would have it.

As for the ban, who knows???? I don't trust them.

Re: Starting to save for first AR

Check out CORE15. Their warranty is, they don't care if you are the 5th owner and the gun has 40,000 rounds through it, they stand behind their product.

Designed and built by vets.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    do I really need to be extreamly worried about another assault weapons ban coming within the next year? I will admit that I went out and bought more spare mags for my Glock right after the election but I just want to know if I'm worring about nothing? I was still in high school when the last ban ended so I really have no idea of what it was like or what to expect in terms of when it may happen.
    Thanks in advance and sorry for getting a little bit political.
    1. Join the NRA - Register as a Republican and vote in ALL Primaries and Elections- Buy a Hunting license every year - Join a good Gun Club.

2. Buy a stripped AR15 Lower and lower parts kit , and a dozen mags. NOW!

The rest can come later.

1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Again thanks for the input. I have some reading and learning to do before I make a final decision, but I am going to look at the Colt and also into building my own. Got to talking to a guy at work that just finished his first build. Like I said I'm just worried the opportunity to get my hands on one is going to be gone before I know it but also don't want to run out and spend a bunch of money right away if it is just paranoia.

A lot of things can happen. Heck, the Mayans may be right and this will all be academic in 21 days. I for one do not feel the need to put my foil hat back on.

If an all encompassing AWB is put in place (which will be a death blow to the Democratic party - waaaaaayyyy too many gun owners gonna be real upset to stand for that behavior), then I am out $100 in two stripped lowers, and have $4k in components that will be in storage until the next wackadoodle gets in office and lifts the ban.

If you are going to buy an AR for the sake of "They may put another AWB in place", then buy whatever POS rifle you want.

If you are going to buy an AR that you intend to shoot, take a few training classes with, and maybe compete with, then buy a quality rifle - which is not Stag.

Colt, BCM, PSA, can get you an entry level gun for $1k that will be of quality. Save another $1k and then buy your RDS, light, sling, mags, and ammo - AGAIN - Buy quality, not the cheapest thing you can find. Do enough research and you will find that there are only about 2 or 3 manufacturers that make quality items of the first 3 listed. About the only thing you can get away with buying el-cheapo, is related gear like mag carriers. UTG, VooDoo tactical will hold up well enough for the average shooter. I've taken 3 - 2 day courses this year with my cheap chest rig, and have had no problems. My affinity for the ATACS camo pattern is pushing me towards another chest rig/vest to match, except for that little voice in the back of my head saying - "What are you thinking - Tactical Fashion Queen? Gecko45 would be so proud."

Take an Appleseed rifle class, then save another $1k and take a 2 day carbine course run by a professional and really learn how to operate your rifle.

Yup, that's right. $3k and you will be in the responsible and properly equipped AR owner crowd, just a notch above the weekend dirt clod shooter that is just out to make noise with their black boom stick.
    CJM, basher052 and hcrum87hc like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Check out CORE15. Their warranty is, they don't care if you are the 5th owner and the gun has 40,000 rounds through it, they stand behind their product.

Designed and built by vets.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Core slipped in the market as a great affordable AR well worth a look. But as others have found out about them the and their rep has grown so has the price.

Core slipped in the market as a great affordable AR well worth a look. But as others have found out about them the and their rep has grown so has the price.
    The basic CORE15 M4 goes for $799 in my neck of the woods. Built beyond MIL-SPEC and they stand behind their product. Can't beat that with a stick.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    The basic CORE15 M4 goes for $799 in my neck of the woods. Built beyond MIL-SPEC and they stand behind their product. Can't beat that with a stick.
    If you still seeing them at 800 jump on it A heck of a lot better weapon at that price compared to the low cost Bushmasters and others. Core does not cut corners.
    I remember seeing them at 650 should have picked up a case.

If you still seeing them at 800 jump on it A heck of a lot better weapon at that price compared to the low cost Bushmasters and others. Core does not cut corners.
    I remember seeing them at 650 should have picked up a case.
    If you saw them at $650, you SHOULD have picked one up for sure. I already got one at $799. I think it's a little heavy though. Feels like it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 pounds, but the specs on their site say it's 5.4 lbs or something like that.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Sticks I agree with you, I've always been of the belief that if you buy quality items the first time there is no need to upgrade and you are ahead in the long run. I guess I've let the thought of another AWB get in the way of making a smart decision. It is still the next item on my list but I'm going to take some time to think about my options. Most likely going to be the colt or building my own.

Starting to save for first AR

I like the idea of buying a CORE piston for the same or less as a Colt 6920 but should a person worry about parts availability if the Oval Office put them out of business? I assume the guts of their piston rifles are proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Take a look at a Colt 6920. They sell for slightly less than $1100.00 and are the standard by which all other ARs are judged.

Good luck.
    Yes. I picked mine up at WalMart.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I like the idea of buying a CORE piston for the same or less as a Colt 6920 but should a person worry about parts availability if the Oval Office put them out of business? I assume the guts of their piston rifles are proprietary.
    The Adams Arms system one that many use is simple The lowers are no different you can quickly covert a DI to Gas piston or the other way around.
    I have swapped out the uppers and lowers on my colts and Huldra's and converted a few with out one issue. I carried the AR for a long time it has come a long way . To a point now the biggest problem with them is how dirty they get from firing. Many of the other weapons that give the AR a run for it's money are Gas Piston design. Before all the deployments The US Military had been looking at making the change it may still happen down the road. keep your eyes open for a switch from Colt to Remington as a supplier .
    The gas piston does stay a lot cleaner and requires less lube, it also does very well using dry lube.
    Just an example I have seen them for less
    Adams Arms Gas Piston Conversion Retrofit Kit AR-15 Carbine Length

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Stag AR15. For the "internet experts" claiming Stag isn't a quality firearm my question is what separates a Colt from the Stag besides name brand and cool factor? It certainly isn't parts specs and from my experience it's not fit quality.

I just built an AR with a Stag upper. I purchased the upgraded specs which match a Colt in every aspect that I'm aware of.

Stag Arms standard carbines (Model 1, 2, 2T, 3, 8 and their left-handed equivalents) feature:

- Carpenter 158 shot peened Bolt with black extractor spring
    - Shrouded full circle AR15 bolt carrier with side staked carrier key
    - 5.56 NATO chambered barrel with chrome lining, 1/9 twist, double lead lapped, and parkerized under the front sight base
    - M4 feed ramps
    - F marked front sight base with taper pins
    - Double heatshield handguards
    - Mil-Spec size 7000 series aluminum receiver extension with staked receiver nut (also known as castle nut)
    - One 30rd USGI Magazine*

In addition to our standard features listed above the Plus Package includes:

- 4150 CMV barrel steel chrome lined
    - 1/7 Twist rifling
    - Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
    - M-16 Bolt Carrier
    - Heavy (H) buffer assembly
    - One extra 30rd USGI Magazine (two total)*

Cost:

Rifle: $100

My total cost for this weapon $749.00 plus $30.00 FFL transfer fee.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links