Starting to save for first AR - Page 3

Starting to save for first AR

This is a discussion on Starting to save for first AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; $899.99 will get you this DPMS with four 30 round magazines: Cabela's: DPMS T.E.K. Rifle Package...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Starting to save for first AR

VIP Member
    $899.99 will get you this DPMS with four 30 round magazines:

Cabela's: DPMS T.E.K. Rifle Package
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    A lot of things can happen. Heck, the Mayans may be right and this will all be academic in 21 days. I for one do not feel the need to put my foil hat back on.

If an all encompassing AWB is put in place (which will be a death blow to the Democratic party - waaaaaayyyy too many gun owners gonna be real upset to stand for that behavior), then I am out $100 in two stripped lowers, and have $4k in components that will be in storage until the next wackadoodle gets in office and lifts the ban.

If you are going to buy an AR for the sake of "They may put another AWB in place", then buy whatever POS rifle you want.

If you are going to buy an AR that you intend to shoot, take a few training classes with, and maybe compete with, then buy a quality rifle - which is not Stag.

Colt, BCM, PSA, can get you an entry level gun for $1k that will be of quality. Save another $1k and then buy your RDS, light, sling, mags, and ammo - AGAIN - Buy quality, not the cheapest thing you can find. Do enough research and you will find that there are only about 2 or 3 manufacturers that make quality items of the first 3 listed. About the only thing you can get away with buying el-cheapo, is related gear like mag carriers. UTG, VooDoo tactical will hold up well enough for the average shooter. I've taken 3 - 2 day courses this year with my cheap chest rig, and have had no problems. My affinity for the ATACS camo pattern is pushing me towards another chest rig/vest to match, except for that little voice in the back of my head saying - "What are you thinking - Tactical Fashion Queen? Gecko45 would be so proud."

Take an Appleseed rifle class, then save another $1k and take a 2 day carbine course run by a professional and really learn how to operate your rifle.

Yup, that's right. $3k and you will be in the responsible and properly equipped AR owner crowd, just a notch above the weekend dirt clod shooter that is just out to make noise with their black boom stick.
    Can I get an amen!

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Can I get an amen!
    Still waiting on a response as to why Stag doesn't produce a "quality" AR. Facts please, where do Stag specs not equal a Colt?

Kind of hard to take seriously anyone who equates spending a certain amount of money (defined by them as adequate) as the difference between being "responsible and properly equipped" and a "weekend dirt clod shooter" out to "make noise".

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks
    up, that's right. $3k and you will be in the responsible and properly equipped AR owner crowd, just a notch above the weekend dirt clod shooter that is just out to make noise with their black boom stick.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
    Still waiting on a response as to why Stag doesn't produce a "quality" AR. Facts please, where do Stag specs not equal a Colt?
    The $100 package "upgrade" from Stag is what quality manufacturers consider standard features. That's why I don't take Stag seriously.
    sammage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    The $100 package "upgrade" from Stag is what quality manufacturers consider standard features. That's why I don't take Stag seriously.
    So offering a budget AR that will be perfectly fine for the average shooter somehow means Stag isn't a "quality" manufacturer?

Hope the OP can see through the brand warfare in these "opinion" posts.

Still waiting on how my $749.00 AR is factually inferior to an $1100.00 Colt.

Everywhere I have looked, they are sold out already. Buds usually has everything, but even they are out.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
    So offering a budget AR that will be perfectly fine for the average shooter somehow means Stag isn't a "quality" manufacturer?

Hope the OP can see through the brand warfare in these "opinion" posts.

Still waiting on how my $749.00 AR is factually inferior to an $1100.00 Colt.
    Colt: Battlefield proven. Literally wrote the TDP(that means technical data package for the Stag owners reading at home) that the military uses as the benchmark for build standards. The Colt is also the AR style rifle that all others are judged by. Like it or not, it's just how it is.

Stag: Uh, lets see, um, well they sure advertise a lot in Guns and Ammo!

I'm sure when the Ford Pinto was introduced there were plenty of folks that bought them and then tried to convince others that they were equal to the Mustang in features yet cheaper in price.

Typical, response. Colts are better because they are "battle proven". Colt wrote the book. Colt is the AR that others are judged by.

Again, what makes a Colt factually superior if Stag makes an AR to identical specs?

Surely with Colts history of making AR's you can find some measurable standard that separates them from the "lowly" Stag. You'd think it would be easy based on your conclusive dismissal of Stag's products.

Don't remember a Pinto ever meeting the exact specs of a Mustang but if they happened to make one, I'm pretty sure it would perform exactly like a Mustang, don't you? Only difference is it would say Pinto on the side. Would a simple name change make one better than the other?
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

The bushmaster lower cost ones did tend to wear out a bit sooner, how many normal people will wear one out who knows. I Did have a Bushmaster it was ok but did not hold up well it has moved on. I have had no issue with my Colts. Never owned a Stag so I will not pass judgement on them. Looked on their site not a lot of detailed facts on the weapons no posted MOA out of the box. One false claim they claimed to have the lowest Priced gas Piston AR on the market , not even close, but that can happen to any company someone did not do the home work. Their current prices are not much different than the others that would be in there class. If you know what Gas piston system they are using I would like to know.
    Sense switching to Huldra (their lowers and Piston system are made by Adams Arms) I am very pleased. Colt is not the only Good AR they are a standard to compare others to. Often you do see short cuts in lower priced weapons. I am not a fan of carbon fiber lowers. Short cuts are things like not MP testing all parts only a sample test of on now and then if at all details in pinning parts as they should be, the steel used in barrels not all are equal.
    Remington will be making the M4 for the US military now so new chapter to be written same weapon just different name on it.
    Huldra took one of their AR's in 5.45 using off the self Russain ammo no lube after they started the test they were not nice to the weapon they fired it 4844 round before a failure. They cleaned it and right back to shooting the heck out of it rounds were right on the mark NO DI would get away with that.
    There are many good AR's out there but you do need to be smart where you spend your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I only caught part of the interview too, but the other thing he said is that it would not be like before with "pre-ban" equipment being allowed. He said they would try to make it a straight up ban with a grace period to turn in your old stuff before it all became illegal. I think this would make it a lot harder to get passed, but if he is doing it by executive order or ATF regulations, that won't matter, will it?
    Two words.

Molon labe
    μολὼν λαβέ

I may be found dead in the ditch but it'll be on a pile of brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    Two words.

Molon labe
    μολὼν λαβέ

I may be found dead in the ditch but it'll be on a pile of brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    They just may try.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdco2 View Post
    ...Now for my second concern, and yes it is a touch political, do I really need to be extreamly worried about another assault weapons ban coming within the next year? I will admit that I went out and bought more spare mags for my Glock right after the election but I just want to know if I'm worring about nothing?...
    YES!

Bans on guns and equipment are coming soon.

Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress

Feinstein leads Democratic senators in call to renew gun debate, vows legislation | Fox News
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Everywhere I have looked, they are sold out already. Buds usually has everything, but even they are out.
    And after the current tragedy in CT. with all the anti gunners calling for more gun control the panic buying is at full force.

I'd suggest you make a quick decision and place your order ASAP OP.

Also, if you're not a member of the NRA now is the time to join. Cost is $35.00, the price of a box of ammo.

Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

One would think that the skyrocketing gun sales are an indicator that the PEOPLE are not going to stand for any more gun control. READ - it's not just the previous gun owners making the buys, it's the fence sitters and those that have seen the light.

Introducing legislation and actually getting it passed are two radically different things. We have time to muster our resources and be ready for the political boxing match.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    And after the current tragedy in CT. with all the anti gunners calling for more gun control the panic buying is at full force.

I'd suggest you make a quick decision and place your order ASAP OP.

Also, if you're not a member of the NRA now is the time to join. Cost is $35.00, the price of a box of ammo.

Good luck.
    I just "panic ordered" a mid length PSA rifle. I hear their shipping times already kind of sucked so I expect now its even worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links