Starting to save for first AR

This is a discussion on Starting to save for first AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm starting to save up for my first AR 15 and have a few concerns I need to work out. First of all the one ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Starting to save for first AR

I'm starting to save up for my first AR 15 and have a few concerns I need to work out. First of all the one I am looking at is the Stag Arms Model 3. I really like it because it is basically a blank slate to work with. I would get iron sights for it first and formost as it doesn't come with any. After that I would look at other optics. Anyhow for those of you with experience with AR's is this a good choice for a first one?

Now for my second concern, and yes it is a touch political, do I really need to be extreamly worried about another assault weapons ban coming within the next year? I will admit that I went out and bought more spare mags for my Glock right after the election but I just want to know if I'm worring about nothing? I was still in high school when the last ban ended so I really have no idea of what it was like or what to expect in terms of when it may happen.

Thanks in advance and sorry for getting a little bit political.

Administrator
    Political is OK as long as it stays firearm related.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Take a look at a Colt 6920. They sell for slightly less than $1100.00 and are the standard by which all other ARs are judged.

Good luck.
    aus71383 and hcrum87hc like this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

NMB
    +1 on the Colt.

So long as the Republicans control the House, another AWB is extremely unlikely. People say that Clinton passed the first one by executive order. That is untrue, it was passed by congress on September 13, 1994.

It also only would effect rifles made after the ban, so anything you purchase now, will be exempt.
    aus71383 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    While I spent more than the Colt on my most recent AR, it is a good solid AR for the money. A good buy at the price. As to an AWB ban, I used to think a Republican congress would hold the line, but recently they seem to be caving like a house of cards on taxes so anything is possible. Low probability though.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

As for the ban who knows, we have many in power that want it back and even more we have to wait and see. Some of The current admin executive orders have been back dated so who knows what they may try.

I am going to ask you to give me a minute or so.
    If your buying your first AR buy one ready to go that you can then set up as you want. The more you shoot it the more you understand what You want from it.
    The Colt 6920 at walmart and others for 1097 is a very good buy and a better all around weapon than the cheaper Bushmaster and the like.
    I DID NOT say Bushmaster was bad it can be a good affordable weapon, IMO if you spending that much save a bit and get better.
    The AR/M4 platform has been around a long time and works well. However the gas system it uses is out dated . It makes for a weapon that gets dirty quick and that causes wear. More and more Gas Piston types are coming on the market. They just don't get dirty. Clean barrel every 500 round if you feel like it, the rest a quick wipe down no fouling in the Bolt carrier group. The Gas exits the front of the weapon and helps create a very manageable recoil.
    Colt offers the 6940P with Gas piston but at a price Adam Arms makes a system that is top notch.
    Another another Brand that is on the market using the piston system Is Huldra they use the Adams system.
    Do you home work understand what you buying and why, it is not hard to get a fair deal on a great AR it is real easy to spend to much on one that will do.
    Give the Gas Piston a look. I know It is now the only type I will buy any more.

A great AR in the right hands, iron sites or basic optics is a 0-450 meter easy shooter. many do better, at 600 meters the front site post is bigger than the target but they make the hits
    I just watched two Master Gunners Army using Acog scopes and off the rack Army AR's hit 700 meters over and over . These soldiers live this stuff.
    When looking at an AR one that is 2 MOA and another that is 1 MOA right out of the box may not sound like much but it is.
    Good luck enjoy Shooting the AR is Great

VIP Member
    Oliver North was talking to Sean Hannity today about the likelihood of Obama instituting a ban on assault weapons and guns that look like assault weapons. I didn't hear the entire interview but from what I did hear, Oliver North seems to think that it will happen sometime within the next 4 years and it will be done without the consent of congress. You will probably be able to find a transcript or audio of the interview on Sean Hannity's website Home - The Sean Hannity Show I don't think it is posted yet so you might want to check back tomorrow.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Ars and 1911s are like mac and cheese. No matter how you fix it its still mac and cheese. I have the stag model 2 and its been a great gun. Im not through with it yet as far as rails optics and such. Ar-15s are the erector set of firearms build it how you like.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The Colt LE6920 is the standard and a great gun @ $1097. If you want a mid-length, then consider a BCM as an alternative.

Who knows about any upcoming bans. The future is hard to predict. I wouldn't say its an impossibility. I say get the gun as soon as you can and then start buying ammo - just in case. Worst case scenario by doing this? You end up with a great gun and lots of ammo to shoot. ;-)
    aus71383 likes this.

I looked the Colt up online and will have to go find one to handle before I can make a decision on it. I have to hold something before I can decide if I like it. It seems like it would wind up being the same price as the Stag once I get the rails and sights for it, and the Colt is also 1:7 twist while the Stag is 1:9. Looks like I have some OT to be working.

Anyhow about the AWB I know I want to get it and a bunch of spare mags ASAP. I feel fortunate that I was to young to be affected by the first AWB but also hate that as I'm just getting into buying some of these things they are being threatened again. I'm 25 and feel like I'm losing the things I was raised on. I hate to say it but my generation sucks. I don't have a person under the age of 35 that I hang around and its because I can't stand people my own age. Sorry for the little rant but it makes me mad sometimes.

Depending on your plans for it you must figure out if 1 in 7 or 1 in 9 is right for your needs . Careful of the quick one line answer. There is good reason so many are 1 in 7.
    except for 1 all of mine are 1 in 7. I do own a PreX-1 that is 1 in 8 but is set up for a narrower use than the rest.
    If cash is an issue while not the best they are good you can find deals like this. It is a weapon I could live with Max for it would be 750 IMO
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/.../0000000078847

If it will take you a while to save up for an AR, and you wonder if they will be available then, you can buy a stripped lower for $100. When you have enough for a full AR, you can sell it if AR's are available.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
    If it will take you a while to save up for an AR, and you wonder if they will be available then, you can buy a stripped lower for $100. When you have enough for a full AR, you can sell it if AR's are available.
    Was going to chime in and suggest this as well as a hedge against a ban. For my first, I went the route of picking up a lower, then a parts kit, then eventually a high-end upper. Of course that's not for everyone, but I wanted the experience of understanding how everything worked internally, and there's a sense of accomplishment in doing it yourself.

If you want to go that route, I'd suggest signing up for Palmetto State Amory's mail list as they have some good deals on lowers very frequently...made it possible to put together a lower end model for under $500 during the time when the prices rocketed up on most fully assembled rifles.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Oliver North was talking to Sean Hannity today about the likelihood of Obama instituting a ban on assault weapons and guns that look like assault weapons. I didn't hear the entire interview but from what I did hear, Oliver North seems to think that it will happen sometime within the next 4 years and it will be done without the consent of congress. You will probably be able to find a transcript or audio of the interview on Sean Hannity's website Home - The Sean Hannity Show I don't think it is posted yet so you might want to check back tomorrow.
    I only caught part of the interview too, but the other thing he said is that it would not be like before with "pre-ban" equipment being allowed. He said they would try to make it a straight up ban with a grace period to turn in your old stuff before it all became illegal. I think this would make it a lot harder to get passed, but if he is doing it by executive order or ATF regulations, that won't matter, will it?
    Walk softly ...

You keep talking about passing it they will not go that route it will be executive order and or Court order.
    If you have been watching that is how they are doing everything by passing Congress.
    And it is working.
    Caertaker likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links