Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15 - Page 2

Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15

This is a discussion on Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice write up. I enjoyed building my girlfriends gun with her help last year. PSA upper and lower that looks and shoots good....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15

Lead Moderator
    Nice write up. I enjoyed building my girlfriends gun with her help last year. PSA upper and lower that looks and shoots good.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well written. Good job.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Well done write up.

45gr JHPs are probably a bit light to be shooting out of a 1:7 rifle.

I am currently waiting on a mock dissapator upper and BCG from PSA.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Great pics!

Looks like you had a lot of fun building.
    Tell the daughter to keep her grubby little mitts off until she turns 18, eh.
    If I ever get enough money to be allocated to an AR, it would be a complete rifle from PSA I believe.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    I was worried about it too at first. Since then I have put hundreds of rounds through it with no malfunctions.

I shot with some buddies a week ago and put 150 rounds of the PMC 5.56 and .223 through it with no issues. Also put 150 rounds of steel cased .223 with no malfunctions. Currently, I estimate I have about 950 rounds through the rifle at this point. I just keep lubing the BCG before I shoot it.
    Good to hear the gremlin went away . Some thing to consider down the road.
    Adams Arm refit to a Gas piston simple conversion for your build. Weapon will run cooler. for the most part never get dirty, no wear from fouling the BCG.
    Oil it once for a days shooting.
    Just think with the piston system you would not have even had to clean it yet.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Good to hear the gremlin went away . Some thing to consider down the road.
    Adams Arm refit to a Gas piston simple conversion for your build. Weapon will run cooler. for the most part never get dirty, no wear from fouling the BCG.
    Oil it once for a days shooting.
    Just think with the piston system you would not have even had to clean it yet.
    Everything you described in this post is complete internet folklore. Lubing intervals are the same whether a gun is DI or piston. The difference in temperature between the two is also a moot point.

Piston guns offer no real advantage unless you plan to run suppressed a lot, or if you're running a SBR. Even then, DI can still be used effectively.
    zacii likes this.

I would have to agree based on experience. I have over 2k through my 16" middy since the last cleaning, and not one single problem. A couple squirts of Gunzilla on the BCG and I'm good to go.
    zacii likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

There's no chance of me putting a piston system in this rifle, so there is really no reason to continue talking about it. Thanks.
    atctimmy likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Everything you described in this post is complete internet folklore. Lubing intervals are the same whether a gun is DI or piston. The difference in temperature between the two is also a moot point.

Piston guns offer no real advantage unless you plan to run suppressed a lot, or if you're running a SBR. Even then, DI can still be used effectively.
    Well I have 3 of them now and it anit folkore stepped out last night and burnt a few in One of the Huldras just wiped it off and put it away one mag in any of the Di's and they are a mess.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Well I have 3 of them now and it anit folkore stepped out last night and burnt a few in One of the Huldras just wiped it off and put it away one mag in any of the Di's and they are a mess.
    If anything in your previous post was accurate, there wouldn't be a single manufacturer out there with a direct impingement gun in their lineup.

I bought my first AR about a month ago.( not brave enough to try to build one) I got a S&W M&P. Having a hard time finding a place to shoot it. Also having a hard time finding bulk ammo. I can get a box of twenty or fifty every once in a while but all the places on line that I have checked seem to be out of stock on bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well done write up.

45gr JHPs are probably a bit light to be shooting out of a 1:7 rifle.

I am currently waiting on a mock dissapator upper and BCG from PSA.
    buckeye .45, is there something that you can suggest for good reading on the advantages and applications of different rifling turns for the .223 - 5.56? Affects of different bullet weights vs. ratios, etc.? I found this with a quick search but am curious myself and think that if there was a good chart for reference maybe? Certainly there must be a good reference, maybe even on this forum somewhere but I figured that someone may have something handy that they use.

Anyway, here's a start to what buckeye .45 was commenting on regarding bullet weight vs. barrel twist in .223. It was taken from here - How Rifle Twist Works

As it pertains to .223 projectiles, several different twists are currently produced. Not all ammo shoots well in all twist ratios. A barrel with a 1x7 Twist tends to be too tight for most lighter, more commonly fired ammunition. Originally designed for the military's use of SS109 (the official NATO name of 5.56mm, or .223), further military testing concluded other twist ratios are actually superior for this steel core bullet. 1x8 Twist is best suited for 69-80 grain bullets. Our Federal .223 69 Grain BTHP Match Gold Medal is some of the best on the market for this twist ratio. 1x9 and 1x10 twist ratios are sort of the "middle of the road" for .223 projectiles, and these are the most common. We suggest our Hornady TAP 55 Grain. On the lighter side of things, a 1x12 boasts excellent accuracy on standard and lighter projectiles in the 40-52 grain range. Older M16 rifles were manufactured with the 1x12 Twist ratio. Our item number ARR-115 offers a conversion upper for your AR that takes less than a minute to install, and the barrel has a desirable 1x12 twist ratio. If you are buying a varmint rifle chambered in .223, chances are it will sport a 1x12 Twist Ratio. Our Federal Premium .223 Remington 40-Gr NBT is perfect for varminting. Last, we have the 1x14 twist ratio. Probably the least accurate ratio unless you are into bullet tumble as opposed to spin unless you are shooting custom loads.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

CJM
    I'm not buckeye.45, but 1:7 twist seems to be the twist rate that is the most versatile out of a 16" barrel. Typically with 1:7 you should be good to go with bullets weights of 55 grains and above. Bullet length is also a contributing factor.

With 1:9, 55 grains and below will usually work fine, usually. Every once in a while, you'll get guns that break that philosophy and shoot bullets very well that conventional wisdom tells you it shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    buckeye .45, is there something that you can suggest for good reading on the advantages and applications of different rifling turns for the .223 - 5.56? Affects of different bullet weights vs. ratios, etc.? I found this with a quick search but am curious myself and think that if there was a good chart for reference maybe? Certainly there must be a good reference, maybe even on this forum somewhere but I figured that someone may have something handy that they use.

Anyway, here's a start to what buckeye .45 was commenting on regarding bullet weight vs. barrel twist in .223. It was taken from here - How Rifle Twist Works
    Let me try to dig something up, but it is mostly just based on personal knowledge and experiences.

But, 55gr is the lightest I would shoot out of a 1:7, as CJM noted as well, it also depends on bullet length, so this is me speaking generally.

Jon probably has something good, if he pops in here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Good to see this review, I've been looking at PSA all day before I ran across this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links