Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15

This is a discussion on Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Disclosure: This is a post I made on a local state forum, but figured I would share it here. I am currently a AR-15 newbie. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15

Review: Palmetto State Armory 16" Mid-length AR-15

Disclosure: This is a post I made on a local state forum, but figured I would share it here. I am currently a AR-15 newbie. This is only my second AR15. I did a lot of research and reading before I ordered any parts. I wanted as close to Mil-Spec as I could afford, and I felt like PSA was a good value.

I built my very first AR15 Lower late this Summer. I had ordered two Lowers and one Lower Parts Kit (LPK) from Palmetto State Armory, and got everything in sometime middle of August. I acquired a couple tools for the job, but still don't have some of the ones that make things easier like Roll Pin Starter Punches, Roll Pin Punches, Hammer Block and pivot pin installer tool. I went slow and took my time. Watched and re-watched the MidwayUSA.com and Brownell's.com videos on how to build a AR Lower. It was a lot of fun, and it's kind of cool to have a almost finished AR rifle I have built myself.

I couldn't stand it while PSA was having their "Upper Madness" sale over the Labor Day Weekend, and I ordered a 16" Mid-length LW Upper with FSB for $279. I also picked up the Bolt Carrier Group and a Charging handle, so I would have a functional gun when the upper got here.

-------------------------------------------------15 Days go by waiting on my Upper to arrive at the house-----------------------------------------

My PSA LW Mid-length Upper came in today. Also ordered a Bolt Carrier Group and charging handle so I would have a functional rifle. I ordered during their Upper madness sale a couple weeks ago. I haven't figured out which forearm or rail I am going to use up front yet, so that decision will be made later. Bought a used Vortex SPARC red dot sight. It co-witnesses with the front sight.

I like what I see with this upper, and it seems to have a lot of things in common with other quality AR makers. Features it has are chrome lined chamber and barrel, Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened and MPI. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside and chrome lined inside, FNH 16" Chrome-lined, chrome moly vanadium with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. The special light profile barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated. Barrel is finished off with an .750" diameter F-marked front sight base. It fits nice and tight to the Lower I built several weeks ago.

I will be shooting it in the next couple of days. I'll update with how it performs.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

2. Remove Ads

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

A complete dis-assembly was done, cleaned thoroughly, and lubed too much. Took it to the range the other day to shoot it for the first time. Using new 30 round Pmags I put 100 rounds of 5.56 through without any problems. I had some spare Remington UMC .223 ammo in 45 grn JHP and Remington .223 55 grn Soft Point bullets. Both of these bullets created Failure to Extract and Failure to Feed problems. Basically the used case would not eject completely and then the new round would not completely enter the chamber, thus creating the jam. (I should have taken a picture of the failure, but I didn't get a chance to.) It looked very simular to this picture.

From what I have gathered and read, the buffer I have is the standard one. PSA labels their heavier ones with H, H2, H3. Mine has no marking except PSA Logo.

Here is the stripped Extractor. Shiney spring with what seems plenty of tension (It was hard to get out with the firing pin while pressing down on the extractor). No rubber "O" ring. Extractor is sharp to the touch.

-------------------------------------------A couple days later, I went back to the range-----------------------------------------------

I went to the range a couple days later, and put 200 flawless rounds down range of 5.56 ammo. The gun did great. I did a thorough cleaning the night before even though it only had around 200 rounds through it. I think I had over lubed it in some areas that didn't need lube the first time, which made it not run smoothly once it started to get dirty.

It is running good for now. I was able to dress it up a little more with the Magpul MOE FDE Forearm, Mini Vertical Grip and a BAD Lever. Now I need to make a decision on a rear backup sight, sling and sling connections. My 11 year daughter is already calling this rifle hers. We will have to see about that.

Currently, as it is in these pictures (excluding the Vortex SPARC), I am into the rifle for $722.22 including FFL transfer for the lower and shipping for all parts.

I'll be updating this thread in the future when I get more rounds through it and detail it's performance.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

************UPDATE**************

I was finally able to get out to an outdoor range today with the rifle. I had picked up a rear sight earlier in the week and wanted to zero my irons. I used PMC 5.56 M855 62 gr. green tip ammo for this range trip. About 150 rounds iirc.

I'm not the best shot by any means, and shooting the irons is not the easiest thing to do as far as I'm concerned. I need lots of practice for sure. I'm too use to shooting with a magnified scope. I was able to print off several types of targets on the web, and found one that would make zeroing the irons a little easier by doing the shooting a 25 meters for a 50/ 200M battle zero.

I started out getting on paper at 50 yards with 4 sets of 5 shot groups. Groups #1, #2 and #3 were all aimed at the large center target. #4 was aimed at the little High Left target a little later. My front sight post was low at first, so I had to bring it up a ways to bring down my first group. Then I had to come several inches left, by adjusting my rear sight.

After getting that done, I moved on to the 25 meter (27 yards + 1 foot) target to dial things in. 15 rounds. I think I was aiming to high on the little black silhouette, which is why my rounds were not all in the little circle. I will be practicing more of that on the next range visit.

Here is some more shooting at the 25 meter mark with the irons. I can't wait to get it out again. It is slowly coming together.

New rear sight.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

New 2 point sling was ordered from Frank Proctor of Way of the Gun
    I had read a couple good reviews about it's use and simple lightweight design. It seems to work as advertised, and I really like it's adaptability.

Way of the Gun

Link to the sling: I had it in three days. WOTG: Apparel/Gear

Video discussing the sling:

New light mount came in. I ordered a Impact Weapons Components SMC (Side Mount Cantilevered) 1" LIGHT MOUNT-N-SLOT for my MOE handguard. Install was easy to do and the components seem to be top quality. I'm using it with a old Streamlight Scorpion flashlight that I have had for years, but will shortly be ordering a Surefire soon.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Looks like you covered the bases on good parts.
    Some what concerned it was giving you problems with .223 it should fire just fine with them.
    Enjoy the new tool.

I was worried about it too at first. Since then I have put hundreds of rounds through it with no malfunctions.

I shot with some buddies a week ago and put 150 rounds of the PMC 5.56 and .223 through it with no issues. Also put 150 rounds of steel cased .223 with no malfunctions. Currently, I estimate I have about 950 rounds through the rifle at this point. I just keep lubing the BCG before I shoot it.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Senior Moderator
    Good job on the writeup and on the pictures.

oneshot likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I agree with HotGuns. I really enjoyed that and thanks for posting tmoore. Good job and congrats on the new rifle!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Enjoyed, thanks for your work and photos!

You're having waaaay too much fun.

Looks like a nice AR.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is awesome thanks for posting! The parts for my FIRST AR are being shipped to me as we speak. I'm hoping to have a good experience while building it. I'll try and take some good pictures like you did lol.

I went with PSA LPK as well.... it still hasn't shipped even though everything else has... kind of annoying.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Well done quality review. Considering a SPARC myself.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I think that the review and photos were probably more work than the rifle assembly!

Excellent job
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks guys. It was fun building my first lower. I'm hoping to get a lot more rounds through it soon.

PSA's problem right now is that they are completely slammed and their customer service has been lacking to a lot of people. I got all my stuff before the rush. Hopefully they can catch up. Their parts are quality stuff at a great price, but you have to wait on it.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links