Are pistol grips WITH shoulder stock a good option for HD shotgun?

This is a discussion on Are pistol grips WITH shoulder stock a good option for HD shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi. I'm a newbie who has searched the forums, but still puzzled over this issue. I'm looking to get my first shotgun for home defense. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66

Thread: Are pistol grips WITH shoulder stock a good option for HD shotgun?

Are pistol grips WITH shoulder stock a good option for HD shotgun?

Hi. I'm a newbie who has searched the forums, but still puzzled over this issue. I'm looking to get my first shotgun for home defense. I have held the Benelli SuperNova Tactical with the pistol grip, and to me it feels very comfortable... in the store, i.e.I haven't fired it. I see a LOT of people giving thumbs down on pistol grips, but that seems to apply mostly to shotguns with pistol grips only (I have zero interest in those). So, my question: does a shotgun that has BOTH the pistol grip and a good stock, like the SuperNova Tactical w/grip or the Remington 870 Express Tactical BLACKHAWK, make a good choice?
    Or does the pistol grip get in the way, like making it harder to aim or pull the pump? I want both my wife and I to be comfortable using it, and practicing a lot with it.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

I have an older Choate folding stock (with pistol grip) on my 20" 870. I like it a lot. I rarely use the gun folded as it just isn't that great to shoot with a pistol grip only, but with the stock extended and shouldered, the pistol grip actually works better for me than a conventional shotgun grip. I also added a pistol grip forestock. Works like a charm. Each to his own I guess.

870.jpg
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't care for them on my 870, for my HD gun I just want something simple that I'm used to - a pistol grip doesn't feel natural on a shotgun (to me).

IMAG0019_edit0 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

I put a Butler Creek Pistol Grip with Folding Stock on my Mossberg 500. Like it a lot.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 - came with a straight stock, and later on I got a pistol grip stock for it. It is more comfortable (for me) with the pistol grip. I got this one: Mesa Tactical: Urbino Tactical stocks : Products

Austin

I think that a short fixed or telescoping stock with a pistol grip is a great choice for a home defense shotgun. I have two 870's - a 12.5" with a telescoping stock (with a pistol grip) and an 18" barrel with a fixed stock (no pistol grip) and a +2 mag extension. Both have ghost ring sights. I bought the 12.5" primarily as a super-light and super-compact choice for backwoods use in bear country (In Canada the gun laws are such that the short barreled shotgun is easy to obtain and perfectly legal, but carrying a .44Mag revolver or any other pistol is not legal)

If it feels right and you're going to spend the time with it, whether or not the stock on the shotgun has a pistol grip is really unimportant. Buy a quality shotgun (the Benelli definitely qualifies), get some training in how to use it for home defense, and put plenty of rounds through it. You will not be disappointed.

Some people like them, others don't. Really, I don't see one being superior over the other beyond personal preference.

Spend some time with both and see what works for you.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Re: Are pistol grips WITH shoulder stock a good option for HD shotgun?

Personal choice, as long as it isn't pistol grip only. Personally I love my Mossberg 930 SPX, has a pistol grip and stock, very ergonomic and comfortable to shoot, I got used to it very quickly.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

A pistol grip with a sholder stock is a personal choice. I have yet to own one but I'm considering it. I do believe in the K.I.S.S. way of thinking and for a HD shotty I don't think it'd matter all that much one way or the other.

....and Welcome Aboard the fourm!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by tman1966 View Post
    does a shotgun that has BOTH the pistol grip and a good stock ... make a good choice?
    Sure. Many people prefer the feel. I've heard some describe added stability/control. For myself, I don't see any great improvement. I've had them both ways (plain stock, and stock with pistol grip).

Or does the pistol grip get in the way, like making it harder to aim or pull the pump? I want both my wife and I to be comfortable using it, and practicing a lot with it.
    So long as the gun fits well, in terms of length-of-pull, smooth mounting (to shoulder), etc, then IMO it shouldn't require any greater practice than with the plain-stock format.

For me, the greatest problem with operating a shotgun is: poor fit. If I cannot smoothly pump the gun and/or operate the controls irrespective of clothing, left/right usage or situation, then it's not right for me. Having a pistol grip doesn't seem to change that, though I tend to be more comfortable with a "plain" stock.

Pick whatever feels works best for you. Note that with the "right" shotgun, you can start with a given stock and then swap to a different stock later if you choose. Just research the ability to swap prior to purchase.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I think they are a good addition to a HD shotgun. One because I'm in the military and have quite a bit of experience with the M-4 and my AR, having a pistol grip on the shotgun is second nature to me. Also if you were required to clear your house, being able to shorten the stock might give you some advantage in confined spaces. The one thing I don't like about it on my Mossberg 500 is the placement of the safety and with the pistol grip I have to move my hand up to turn off the safety.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I really like my Knox Spec Opsshot4.jpg

I don't have the issue with the safety because I don't use the safety and don't keep a round chambered in mine, just rack and shoot.

Links