Cleaning Question for Rifle

This is a discussion on Cleaning Question for Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay- I am new to cleaning a tactical rifle. How do you suggest I clean the bore? I have copper solvent to get any copper ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By remington79

Thread: Cleaning Question for Rifle

Cleaning Question for Rifle

Okay-

I am new to cleaning a tactical rifle.

How do you suggest I clean the bore? I have copper solvent to get any copper buildup, I have hoppes cleaning solvent and REM oil. Today I just went through with a bit of copper solvent because I shot over the weekend a little bit. Then I coated the parts with some REM oil before putting it back together.

For thorough cleaning, do you suggest I do copper solvent, then hoppes in the bore and hoppes in the chamber?

2. Remove Ads

Bore does not need to be cleaned every firing , only if you going to put it away for a longtime, some manufactures say you do more damage over clean the barrel than by firing it. run a patch with CLP on it down the barrel pass a few more through you good there is no need to use copper cleaners and solvents with wire brush every cleaning.
    The BCG it going to be a mess if you did some serious shooting it may take some work getting the carbon off the Extractor.
    It your using a stand DI weapon your going to need to do a bit more detailed cleaning it will have residue everywhere. It the lower is a mess full of grit you can flush it out with a mild gun cleaner or WD 40 just make sure you dry it and lube it.
    Now if you using corrosive ammo even if it just primes the game changes, soap and water rinse dry, then clean as normal, some use windex.
    Then clean it again the next day. Nothing will damage you weapon faster than corrosive powered if they are not clean well. I know of no US manufacture that has used corrosive powered or primers in years
    I would rather see CLP used than Rem oil but rem oil works
    There are a 100 Youtube videos out there showing how to clean an AR
    Or just read this
    http://larcpistolandrifleclub.com/pd...005_319_10.pdf
    aus71383 likes this.

Depends on your "tactical rifle."

If you have an AR, an occasional pass with a bore snake is plenty.

If you have a sniper rifle and you're expected to reach out to targets at 400 yards and beyond, then I would pay very close attention to chamber and bore cleanliness.

And if you swab your bore with oil before storing the gun, make sure you run a dry patch down the bore before you shoot again. A bore snake is really convenient for that use.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I don't brush the barrel each time on rifles I shoot frequently. Just run a wet patch or two down the bore and let it sit for a bit. Clean up the other parts then come back the the barrel. Run several dry patches thru. Next, a single oiled patch followed by a dry patch. Just a couple of times a year or end of season I'll run a bore brush thru the barrel.

That is how I do it.

If it's an AR like you mentioned in the other thread ditch the Rem oil and get Slip 2000 EWL, MilComm TW-2500, or Froglube. I have used Rem oil on other guns adn I don't like it. It's too thin and it dries very quickly never mind when firing it. I use the Mil TW-2500 oil and TW-25B grease on most of my guns but I use the Slip 2000 EWL for my AR. Do a search for Filthy 14. They ran that Bravo Company AR hard and hardly cleaned it. All they did was squirt more EWL on it. I forgot the exact round count but it was 10,000 rounds plus. They only issues were parts breakage when the parts were past their service life. What ever you do DON'T use dental picks to clean the barrel extension. (I'm assuming you are referring to an AR) I just use Q tips. The metal picks will just cause damage.
    gasmitty likes this.

what is the difference between froglube and rem other than thinkness? i like now rem oil sprays on and that it can be used for multiple things.

Like already stated, there are plenty of "how to" sites regarding the AR platform, but I don't think you stated which rifle you own.

A good place to start is the manual that came with your rifle. If you don't have one and you are not familiar with the safe disassembly/field stripping/cleaning proceudres for the gun you own, I would get one. Many manufacturers put these online, and virtually all will mail you one if you call them.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

NMB
    Barrel/Bore - I just use a boresnake 2-3 times, followed by a final pass with a few dabs of froglube for protection. You may need to use a brush to get the chamber clear of any stubborn debris.

BCG - Take it down, wipe everything clean, scrub off any stubborn carbon build up, liberally apply frog lube to contact points.

Thats pretty much it, the lower can be easily cleaned with a rag/patch, just wipe it down. you should also put a little lube on the charging handle and where it rides in the receiver.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Sig Sauer M400. I have taken it apart a few times already.

Unless you have reason to believe there is copper fouling in the bore, I would forego the copper solvent. Hoppes is a solvent - good for removing filth, but also it evaporates, so you'll want a little oil afterwards. You do not want a "wet" bore from oil. The main thing to keep clean on that rifle is the bolt carrier group and chamber. It's nice to clean the bore...but not a huge deal. You can run patches with solvent on them through it until they come out clean, then dry patches til they come out clean, then an oiled patch, then dry patch.... Or just run a bore snake with a little CLP by the bristles through it a few times. Whatever you do - only push from the chamber. Never insert anything into the muzzle.

Austin

VIP Member
    IIRC some copper solvent can attack the chrome lining in your bore. Better read you instructions carefully.
    Last edited by atctimmy; December 6th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I use the Mil TW-2500 oil and TW-25B grease on most of my guns but I use the Slip 2000 EWL for my AR. Do a search for Filthy 14. They ran that Bravo Company AR hard and hardly cleaned it. All they did was squirt more EWL on it. I forgot the exact round count but it was 10,000 rounds plus. They only issues were parts breakage when the parts were past their service life. .
    Read about Filthy 14 here: S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links