Question about AR slings. 2pt or 1pt?

This is a discussion on Question about AR slings. 2pt or 1pt? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a 2-point sling. Although my rifle has several places to attach a 1 point, I figured 2 point is better in case ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question about AR slings. 2pt or 1pt?

I just got a 2-point sling. Although my rifle has several places to attach a 1 point, I figured 2 point is better in case you have to kneel down (muzzle doesnt hit ground) or run.

With it on, I feel awkward wearing it. How do you wear your two-point? Do you wear it on your shooting side or the other side? do you put it across your neck or simply over your shoulder?

I use a VCAS sling on mine. It's a two point and it's easily adjustable. You just pull a tab and it will let you loosen or tighten the sling one handed. I wear it over my strong side shoulder and under the support side arm. I like this set up because if you need to transition to a pistol or let go of the rifle to complete a task it keeps the muzzle from pointing at your feet. In my case the muzzle points at the ground to the left. One points move around too much for me.

So it hangs behind you with the muzzle pointing towards your left/ground? If you shoot with your right side, wouldn't this be hard to pick up quick?

I am a fan of the Vtac sling you can really get it tight against your body for running and climbing.

Typically an adjustable 2 point (VCAS, VTAC, etc) will work best. Single point has it's place, but usually is a great way to rack yourself.

I just have a basic BLACKHAWK! 2 point adjustable. The 1 points def look cool, but I just feel that they are not as versatile when it comes to different situations.

We were always trained to keep the rifle in our hands. The only time we slung the rifle was for administrative purposes. Of course, we were not issued a pistol - so transitioning to pistol was not a concern.

I still keep my rifle in my hands (old habits) - I do not like to "wear" the rifle. Plus, in a CQB situation, it becomes difficult to use the rifle as an impact weapon if you are wearing it - and it gives your opponent something to grab onto and leverage you around. Of course, retention is better if you are "wearing" the rifle.

If I need to transition to pistol, I simply fling the rifle over my shoulder - the muzzle ends up pointing to the ground behind me and to my left. There are different techniques for this, and I do not want the thread to turn into a debate on which is the "best" way. I use a simple two-point sling.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

So you WEAR the gun behind you? Do you shoot with your right side?

VIP Member
    I just ordered a Magpul MS3 with the QD for my M4. I alway use a stardard issue sling. Not for carry but to steady the rifle when shooting.
    So this will be new to me. I will have to figure it out and learn how to best use it. It is advertised as 1 & 2 point.

Lead Moderator
    I like my MS3 sling. Usually I wear it as a two point with the sling over my strong side shoulder( rifle a Ross the chest). This places the rifle further from my pistol if I drop and transition. The single point is nice if you are in tighter spaces and will be shooting weak hand.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I am a fan of the Vtac sling you can really get it tight against your body for running and climbing.
    That is what all of us on PSD have for our M4s. I love it

No when I let go the rifle is in front of me across my chest with the muzzle pointed at the ground to the left. I'm right handed so the stock is well above where my pistol is.

This isn't me but this shows you how the rifle clears your feet and the strong side is high enough to clear a pistol. http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...EkOw_PSQmVybSc

2 point sling is better - you can use it as a "hasty sling" for more accurate shooting from any position. The 1 point is just a way to dangle your gun when you aren't using it. An adjustable 2 point is nice because you can have it loose for use - then tighten it when you're letting the rifle hang/using your hands for other things. I wear my 2 point sling (VCAS) over my strong side shoulder, and under my weak side armpit. Where you attach the sling to the gun can make a big difference in how it works for you as well.

Austin
    remington79 likes this.

aus71383 well put. I forgot about using the sling as a support.
    aus71383 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links