Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice. - Page 2

Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice.

This is a discussion on Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the local range the tables are made from concrete and look like a fat "T" I would set 3 treated 4x4 posts at the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice.

At the local range the tables are made from concrete and look like a fat "T" I would set 3 treated 4x4 posts at the height that comes up to about waist level since you will be adding 4" above that by cutting out a 3/4" treated plywood "T" and then framing it with 2x4 sides,I would make the front about 3 feet wide and 12" deep with the leg of the "T" extendind back about 42",once you nave the Plywood T cutout you can figur where to set the 3 posts to support it,then once you have it framed up mix some Quikcrete fill it and use a straight board to screte it level and then smooth with a trowel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice.

If y'all will click on the link in my original post you will see the shooting bench that I've already purchased the materials to build.

I started the thread hoping to get first hand feedback on lead sleds and related aids for precision stable shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    I'd like to see the EPA make a private shooting range, on private property, any of their business. I don't see the EPA checking every 'back 40' (or 28) for 'sand and sift' boxes...
    Tell that to any of the folks on the Gulf Coast and elsewhere who are sitting in jail for dumping sand on their own property. There are quite a few of them, courtesy of the EPA.

They going to tell me I can't use lead fishing weights anymore either?

Tell me I have to use nontoxic projectiles in all my guns?
    Wake up. There are over 100 environmental groups that have petitioned the EPA to ban ALL lead ammunition AND lead fishing weights. So far, the courts have sided with hunters/shooters, ruling that the EPA doesn't have jurisdiction. You really think that'll never change?

Short answer: No.
    Sounds like you're swimming in a river in Egypt.

The only shooting loads that are controlled are for waterfowl because they are very susceptible to lead poisoning. Anyone who suggests the EPA is going to come checking your property for lead abatement has run out of tin foil.
    Anyone who suggests that the EPA will never come checking your property for lead abatement has his head buried in the sand. Might be better off with a tinfoil hat.

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I shoot a lot of antique rifles, and lead sleds are blamed for damaging a lot of stocks. Mostly from over loading the sled. They are mostly for recoil reduction, not so much for precision shooting. So I use a rest like this.

Caldwell Rock BR Competition Front Shooting Rest 440907 FREE S&H 440907. Caldwell Shooting Accessories.

and a rear rest like this.

Caldwell Medium High Rear Bag Filled/Unfilled 800888, 800777. Caldwell Shooting Accessories.

The combo does very little to reduce recoil but are very stable, very adjustable and very easy to make that perfect adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose71 View Post
    If y'all will click on the link in my original post you will see the shooting bench that I've already purchased the materials to build.

I started the thread hoping to get first hand feedback on lead sleds and related aids for precision stable shooting.
    I built one using the same source. I did a few things differently, but overall the same concept. You can see my photos here: Shooting Bench

It is a solid design and you will enjoy shooting off it. Now for your actual question. I decided to get something cost effective and easily portable. So I purchased Caldwell's DeadShot Combo Filled Shooting Bags. This was only $30 at Academy Sports.

Caldwell Shooting Bags.jpg

Good luck with building your bench.

Ed

EdJean...

Very nice work, you're also lucky to have such a great place to shoot...but then, you already know that.

To the OP...
    Good luck with that range!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links