Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice.

This is a discussion on Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have 28 acres that I'm going to put a shooting bench on and be able to shoot a couple hundred yards, using my pond ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Building my own shooting range,,, Need advice.

I have 28 acres that I'm going to put a shooting bench on and be able to shoot a couple hundred yards, using my pond levee for a backstop. I've bought the materials to build the following bench-table:

http://www.horstguns.com/services/shooting-bench

I need advice on Caldwells, stoney point, Hart, etc. Systems to put on the table. I'm a lefty if it matters.

I will be shotting my ARs, as well as Bolt action hunting rifles off of whatever I decide to buy.

Thanks for any info, advice, and opinions.

I'd be more concerned with how high is your backstop, what the backstop is constructed of (lack of rocks), and what is a mile+ past it before I worried about fluffing up your bench.
    oneshot and dukalmighty like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Levee is made of dirt. I'm shooting at a slight down hill angle. Timberland for 10s of miles behind my land.

Time to fluff my bench.

VIP Member
    I just built my own gun range also. The dirt levee is about 12 feet high and about 40 feet wide and plenty thick. As soon as I finished I seeded it and covered it with hay and a netting to stop it from washing this winter. There is basically nothing behind it but trees etc.

From a liability standpoint, we who shoot on it, will first go to a nearby range and get qualified for their 1000 yd course, mine is 765 yd max, we will also keep a log book on who shot on what date/time, number of rounds, etc.

I haven't come to any decision on benches.
    Dennis1209 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I can't really speak to what bench is best, but I had a thought while visualizing your setup. You will want to be sure to post your property lines for trespassing and it wouldn't hurt to add "DANGER! Private Shooting Range"
    I don't know if your neighbors tend to wander or if you are next to state land, but it would be tragic if someone accidentally wandered too close from the adjacent property.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

The NRA has a full publication with all the specs, precautions, etc completely done. If you are a NRA member, you get the book at a discount.

Before you build or use the range, I'd inquire about insurance to make sure you are covered and also notifying your local sheriff or state attorney to make sure you will not be violating any local statutes.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Agree with Doc above. And while Arkansas law may not currently address the issue, smart builders of new ranges are taking into account the possibility of retroactive regulations regarding lead abatement. The EPA sometimes implements some unexpected, swift, extreme measures upon private citizens. You don't want your 28 acres to be a Federally declared "Superfund Site" five years from now. You might consider sand & sift bullet catch-boxes as a wise precaution.
    oakchas likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Maybe I should have emphasized in my previous posts that this is going to be for MY personal use, and that I won't be burning 100s of rounds a day, or even a month.

I was asking for advice on shooting aids such as Caldwell lead sleds and sand bags.

I'd like to see the EPA make a private shooting range, on private property, any of their business. I don't see the EPA checking every 'back 40' (or 28) for 'sand and sift' boxes.

"Nope mr. EPA officer, this ain't no shootin' range... This is when the deers and pigs like to eat so I tend to shoot here a bunch"

They going to tell me I can't use lead fishing weights anymore either?

Tell me I have to use nontoxic projectiles in all my guns?

Short answer: No.

The only shooting loads that are controlled are for waterfowl because they are very susceptible to lead poisoning. Anyone who suggests the EPA is going to come checking your property for lead abatement has run out of tin foil.

Don't go asking a bunch of people a bunch of questions, look at the local, county, and state laws and see what they say. Where I used to live there was a county ordinance against discharging a firearm. Next county over didn't have one. But you couldn't shoot within 100' of the edge of the road. Look at the law, know the law, then go about your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    I'd like to see the EPA make a private shooting range, on private property, any of their business. I don't see the EPA checking every 'back 40' (or 28) for 'sand and sift' boxes.

"Nope mr. EPA officer, this ain't no shootin' range... This is when the deers and pigs like to eat so I tend to shoot here a bunch"

They going to tell me I can't use lead fishing weights anymore either?

Tell me I have to use nontoxic projectiles in all my guns?

Short answer: No.

The only shooting loads that are controlled are for waterfowl because they are very susceptible to lead poisoning. Anyone who suggests the EPA is going to come checking your property for lead abatement has run out of tin foil.

Don't go asking a bunch of people a bunch of questions, look at the local, county, and state laws and see what they say. Where I used to live there was a county ordinance against discharging a firearm. Next county over didn't have one. But you couldn't shoot within 100' of the edge of the road. Look at the law, know the law, then go about your business.

"Build it, and they will come" = Your field of dreams just became a nightmare... just one transplant from NY or Chicago... in your neighborhood ... and you might learn about lead abatement.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

There's been a BUNCH of folks who didn't see the EPA coming. Nor did they see the IRS, NFS, INS, ATF or Army Corps of Engineers, etc., etc. showing-up. But guess what? "Hello Mr. Buffett, I'm with the Federal Government & we'd like to speak with you.". Sometimes you can stall them in court if your got DEEP pockets & a LOT of free time. Sometimes you can call your Congressman (let us know how that works for you). And sometimes you can spend a couple of hundred bucks to keep them as faaarrr away for as looonnggg as possible. I choose the latter.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's been a BUNCH of folks who didn't see the EPA coming. Nor did they see the IRS, NFS, INS, ATF or Army Corps of Engineers, etc., etc. showing-up. But guess what? "Hello Mr. Buffett, I'm with the Federal Government & we'd like to speak with you.". Sometimes you can stall them in court if your got DEEP pockets & a LOT of free time. Sometimes you can call your Congressman (let us know how that works for you). And sometimes you can spend a couple of hundred bucks to keep them as faaarrr away for as looonnggg as possible. I choose the latter.
    And what would you mean by spend a couple hundred bucks to keep them far away as long as possible?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Gee! The guy asks for advise building a bench to shoot off of and get 10 posts of doom and gloom!

Ill play. Ive built several benches and I prefer cement over wood. Not everyone does. Some believe that cement transmits vibrations where wood does not. I use sand bags to separate my guns from the rest and haven't had any problems. Id also much rather have an adjustable stool than a fixed one. The one most important thing to my shooting enjoyment tho is a sun shade. Have fun and enjoy your new range! DR
    dukalmighty likes this.

I first built a bench for my wife to sit on. A pair of two by six planks nailed side-by-side and sitting on some 1-foot diameter firewood logs. This is great for spectators and the eating of lunch!

The shooting position is a table about 2 feet wide by 6 feet long and four feet tall. The top is made from two by six planks and the legs are two by fours - braced and cross braced for stability. A table with these dimensions can be set down almost anywhere and wiggled a bit until a stead and solid footing is found - even in my very rocky terrain.

I'm mostly a handgun shooter, so this table was made with that in mind. The height is great for using a pistol rest, sand bags, etc. from a semi-standing position. There is plenty of room for laying down of guns and gear and room for two shooters behind the table.

I built everything using scrap lumber I had laying around. Its painted with left-over oil-based house stain for some protection from the elements. The frame was nailed together and toted into position. The top planks were then carried in and placed into position and tacked down.

Works great for me. A good table to shoot from make shooting more fun!

Oh, yes - this is mine. It is for me. When the neighbors hear me shooting they know not to intrude.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Gee! The guy asks for advise building a bench to shoot off of and get 10 posts of doom and gloom!

Ill play. Ive built several benches and I prefer cement over wood. Not everyone does. Some believe that cement transmits vibrations where wood does not. I use sand bags to separate my guns from the rest and haven't had any problems. Id also much rather have an adjustable stool than a fixed one. The one most important thing to my shooting enjoyment tho is a sun shade. Have fun and enjoy your new range! DR
    Thanks for getting this back on topic DR! I don't have the means to build a cement bench. I will be building the treated lumber one that I posted a link to. I have a few sand bags, but I'm considering some sort of lead sled.

I've never thought about a sun shade. I will ad it to my list of things to get. Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links