Armorers Saxophone/Sight Wire tool for the AR

This is a discussion on Armorers Saxophone/Sight Wire tool for the AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am working on my own AR build and am slowly getting the pieces and tools together. One of my references is the “Gunsmithing the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By Sticks
  • 1 Post By RockinRiley

Thread: Armorers Saxophone/Sight Wire tool for the AR

I am working on my own AR build and am slowly getting the pieces and tools together. One of my references is the “Gunsmithing the AR-15, How to Maintain, Repair, Accessorize” It provides a small paragraph on how to build a tool to adjust front sights. It reads:

“The best way to adjust the front sight is with a sight wire, or “armorers saxophone.” This is perhaps the first tool you’ll make yourself for your AR work. To make one, take a section of coat hanger wire six to eight inches long. File the sight end flat and square. Bend the flat-end end of it into a small loop: it need have no more than half an inch clearance in the loop, and half an inch downwards stem. Then bend the other end in a large loop: three inches length straight down, and then a loop for your fingers.”
    I can’t really picture how this tool is built/shaped. Has anyone built one, or has a picture of one?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I use one of these, works great. I store in grip.

31.jpg
    4/5-Prong Dual Front Sight Tool
    Amazon.com: UTG Model 4/15 4-Prong Dual Front Sight Tool: Sports & Outdoors

See also:
    Gunsmithing - The AR-15 - Patrick Sweeney - Google Books
    Eagleks likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

We always just used the tip of a bullet to push the detent down and get the turn started - this was on the range while sighting in with service rifles.

Any small punch would work as well.

Austin

why recreate the wheel..... except in extreme need . The tool for it is very inexpensive.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I buy a box of 20 front sight adjustment tools at a time, costs about 7 bucks, and they double as bullets.

Really, IMHO, there is no need. You only adjust the front sight posts once, and then leave it alone.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Pair of small tweezers work well to. Universal for all makes and models.
    DMan likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Thanks, I believe he makes reference for other uses for this "tool" for other purposes, but it was described on how to make it in sights section. He references this technique in that some front sights have notches that are too small to use some bullets tips in. Hence the easy to make wire tool, without the wait of on online order.

It's been a long time but I think in the army we just used a construction nail!
    DMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    That is indeed the part of the book I was quoting from. FYI - it is an excellent book.

Links