shotgun magazine extension question is it ok if..

This is a discussion on shotgun magazine extension question is it ok if.. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all I was looking for some insight on extending the magazine on my 12ga. Benelli M1 Super 90. I wanted to extend the magazine ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: shotgun magazine extension question is it ok if..

Hi all
    I was looking for some insight on extending the magazine on my 12ga. Benelli M1 Super 90. I wanted to extend the magazine on it, but it has a 21" barrel, my question/concern is if the magazine extension is longer than the muzzle of weapon is that OK? I'm asking this question to make sure that this will not cause any adverse effects on the operation of the weapon. Now this being said if it is indeed OK for the magazine to extend past the end of the barrel, what would be considered the Max. safe length for it to extended past the barrel before you have to worry about it getting in the way of the shot/wad or causing any adverse effects in the operation? Thanks in advance for the insight, I'm just trying to buy the right size extension the first time
    G

2. Remove Ads

I would try to keep the extension so that the extended magazine does NOT extend past the muzzle. You do not want that extra length, and the extra shells will change the handling characteristics of the M1 and change its balance significantly.

I have an M1 Super 90 M&P and I followed my sage advice perfectly.
    aus71383 likes this.

It's been done, with no reports of bad results. It might look funny....

Search around online for 3 gun, practical shotgun, stuff like that - and you'll find examples.

Austin

My extension sticks out about an inch past the barrel. No problems. I've seen competition guns where the tube sticks out about a foot or more. S&W I believe is the one who did this.

It also depends on the purpose of the shotgun. If for interior HD, then I would not go too long (any longer than muzzle) because it will adversely effect the maneuverability of the weapon (OAL increases). If for play and plink, I'd say "who cares" except it will look silly.

IMHO, anything longer than the muzzle will look silly, but there might be a purpose for it which could be important, in which case form follows function. Bahaus shotguns, ya know.

Links