slings and holsters do you have a drawer full?

This is a discussion on slings and holsters do you have a drawer full? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are a lot of posts from people who have a huge collection of holsters for their pistols. I am certainly guilty. I have had ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckusaret

Thread: slings and holsters do you have a drawer full?

VIP Member

slings and holsters do you have a drawer full?

There are a lot of posts from people who have a huge collection of holsters for their pistols. I am certainly guilty.

I have had a similar problem with rifle slings. Now for the MI Garand or M1A it is the old standby issued cotton web sling. NO concerns. BUT with all of the dress up on the ARs there are so many options and just when you thing you got it, something else comes up. 1 point, two point, QD swivels, attachment points????? then they come in colors, black, coyote,og,tan,camo,digi.......
    Would be nice to find one sling that does everything I want on the first purchase not have to clean out my holster draw to make room for the slings.

My ideal sling would be to use it to steady my shots and to carry the rifle. the single points don't steady your shooting but I like how fast you can " draw" Most 2 points are steady but offer a clumsy draw or awkward carry.

At least with the slings you can use them on different rifles or shotguns. Most holsters are specific to the handgun, right down to caliber and barrel length.

I also figure there are other uses for a sling, I can use to walk the dog, secure my luggage,hold down my fishing gear......

2. Remove Ads

Nope.

I've managed to go 20+ years of pistol and only have 1 or 2 holsters for each one, and in my 1 year of ARs, I only have the one sling for each.

Overall, my collection of "Extras", and I do mean anything and everything firearm related, could fit in a shoe box.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Holsters yes, but not so much with slings. I like plain ol' variations of the military M1907 leather sling. Even the bolt action sporters wear commercial 1-inch-wide copies of this design. Only the M1 Carbine wears a web sling from the World War II period.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

How about a sling hammock or suspenders? A drawer full of holsters, no. I have "The Box"! I wish there was a place like when you donate to the needy, old eye glasses or cell phones, but holsters. But you have to be able to write it off, we do need the deductions!
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Heck yea, I've got a drawer full. I'm ambi which means I have two of everything. I carry either righty or lefty depending on how I feel so I'm constantly switching holsters and putting one back in the drawer.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    After 34 years of carrying professionally I have a large tote or two with holsters, duty belts, and all sorts of accessories.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    When my wife complains about the money I have wasted on my box of well recommended holsters and piles of other gun related gear, I just remind her of her closet full of unworn/seldom worn shoes.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Yep, a whole drawer full of holsters. The wife said I couldn't buy anymore unless I found another use for some of them I don't use anymore. I decided to use some of them to carry around some Twinkies.

Now I have to come up with a different plan.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Ive got more handguns than long guns. So yes I got more holsters than slings. A holster hoarder you might say.

I have at least two 12-gallon plastic storage boxes full of holsters.

Just a couple extra holster not in use, no extra slings. Then again, I went with decent manufacturers like Raven Concealment, Comp Tac, Blue Force Gear. Buy once, cry once.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    When my wife complains about the money I have wasted on my box of well recommended holsters and piles of other gun related gear, I just remind her of her closet full of unworn/seldom worn shoes.
    game on!

Links