looking to buy ar15: kit or complete ar?

This is a discussion on looking to buy ar15: kit or complete ar? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TX expat I agree, sorta... Just because you buy one from a local source, that doesn't necessarily mean that your parts are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: looking to buy ar15: kit or complete ar?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I agree, sorta...

Just because you buy one from a local source, that doesn't necessarily mean that your parts are of lower quality, nor does buying from a name brand assure you of high quality.

What I would suggest is if you really want one "built", buy quality parts and do it yourself. A monkey probably could build one if he had internet access and watched some youtube videos, so why spend the money on the labor when you could put that money into better parts.
    My point was that unless you know what parts he's getting then you could be getting a turd. Meanwhile there is a spec sheet for a factory built gun and you can compare manufacturer specs before you buy and get what you want.
    aus71383 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My point was that unless you know what parts he's getting then you could be getting a turd. Meanwhile there is a spec sheet for a factory built gun and you can compare manufacturer specs before you buy and get what you want.
    Can we say 'turd' here?
    atctimmy likes this.

Errr...how about you go to Wal Mart and buy a Colt AR?

If your local Wal Mart does not carry guns, the sporting goods dept can usually order it in for you.

Done.

(ETA - Personally, I want the warranty support of a reputable manufacturer. Whatever might need fixing, I want to go to one source, not worry about who built what part. JMHO.)
    sammage and atctimmy like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I would buy a complete one, learn how to take it apart, and how it functions. Then build your own. I'd say MOST companies sell less than quality AR's. Only a couple companies use complete mil-spec parts. I know if I was buying one right now, I'd wait for BCM to start taking orders. But I'd start with a basic colt, no optics or anything special, just a basic model with quality parts. Not to get to Yoda here, but if you keep it simple an AR will teach you everything you need to know on it's own. Anything Ar15 related I should say

Both of my ARs have been assembled from parts that I picked and chose. I also have the mechanical skill level to back up my choice to assemble from parts.

If you take your transportation to a shop to have any and all work done to it, then I would recommend buying a complete, or upper and lower (yes, the tax is assessed to the lower receiver and everything attached to it ~ a complete get the entire tax, separate uppers and lowers, only the lower).

Colt, BCM, PSA are your best bet for quality and decent price point. Don't forget about the incidentals - Mags, RDS, Sling, AMMO(!), maybe a light. Factor that into your budget.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The only thing you need special tools for is assembling an upper receiver,Kit guns come with a fully assembled upper and all the parts to complete a stripped lower so in the end you have an assembled gun,There are plenty of you tube videos on AR15 lower assembly builds.
    To be honest I wouldn't play around too long,I think once the POTUS goes through the Inauguration ceremony next month it won't be long before he pulls a Clinton,but actually bans Guns and Mags over 10 rounds,and not cosmetic devices like the old AWB
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I've decided not to have a gunsmith assemble an AR for me and am now looking at a Rock River Arms AR. Anyone have experience with Rock River? I know they're not "mil spec" but have heard that they are very accurate and reliable. Opinions and comments would be appreciated.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I've decided not to have a gunsmith assemble an AR for me and am now looking at a Rock River Arms AR.
    I have a friend that has one the carbine version. The trigger is excellent and the quality is very good. I really like the barrels , very high quality. He has put over 2k rounds through it including the dirty russian stuff with out any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VIP Member
    I've decided not to have a gunsmith assemble an AR for me and am now looking at a Rock River Arms AR. Anyone have experience with Rock River? I know they're not "mil spec" but have heard that they are very accurate and reliable. Opinions and comments would be appreciated.
    If their price is the same as a Colt or a BCM, why not go with a milspec gun? What is the attraction to RRA that makes you want one of theirs?
    Sticks, scgunlover1 and tmoore912 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If their price is the same as a Colt or a BCM, why not go with a milspec gun? What is the attraction to RRA that makes you want one of theirs?
    I'm not specifically attracted to RRA, just that a friend of mine who is a gun dealer has some for sale and he loves them. I'm trusting him a bit on this one. I've purchased other firearms from him and have been very satisfied. But you raise a great question. In doing some research, it seems that some of the milspec rifles are overkill for my use adding cost (and often weight). Also, some have informed me that milspec is sometimes actually behind consumer guns in technology because the military is slow to change. Also, military shooting conditions are different from the needs of citizens. I'm meeting with him on Monday to go over the rifle and have a number of questions. I really appreciate the comments and welcome any suggestions as to what further I should ask the dealer about.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I have a friend that has one the carbine version. The trigger is excellent and the quality is very good. I really like the barrels , very high quality. He has put over 2k rounds through it including the dirty russian stuff with out any problems.

Thanks for that info!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

I just bought my first AR15. I went with a complete Colt. Building my own did appeal to me but I would have no idea what parts would be a good match together. When I looked at forums for an answer I got conflicting advice so I put my faith in Colt. They have made a couple.......
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I'm not specifically attracted to RRA, just that a friend of mine who is a gun dealer has some for sale and he loves them. I'm trusting him a bit on this one. I've purchased other firearms from him and have been very satisfied. But you raise a great question. In doing some research, it seems that some of the milspec rifles are overkill for my use adding cost (and often weight). Also, some have informed me that milspec is sometimes actually behind consumer guns in technology because the military is slow to change. Also, military shooting conditions are different from the needs of citizens. I'm meeting with him on Monday to go over the rifle and have a number of questions. I really appreciate the comments and welcome any suggestions as to what further I should ask the dealer about.
    Of course your dealer loves them. He is making a ton of money in his markup.

Milspec - if you use that as a baseline, you can not go wrong with an object that is subjected to what they (Colt who has the actual Mil Spec or TDP) put them though. I can guarantee you that it will be more than sufficient for civilian use.

Carbon fiber, polymer lowers, NiB coatings and all the other wizbang crap hitting the market...not necessary.

If you plan on running that RRA rifle hard (I.E. taking a few training courses, competitions, 2x a month days at the range running drills), I would reconsider that buy. If this is only going to be a 500 rounds per year rifle, great, go have fun with it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'd buy what ever you can find. I am in the PNW and they had 3 AR's hanging as I was in line to pay for my 3 pmags all were spoken for by a single fellow.

Isolated? I don't know but it seems like people on the fence are in some cases taking the plunge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links