m&p 15 sport?

m&p 15 sport?

This is a discussion on m&p 15 sport? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; m&p 15 sport any good? after the advice i received from my other thread and due to my experience building ARs (none) ive decided to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: m&p 15 sport?

m&p 15 sport?

m&p 15 sport any good? after the advice i received from my other thread and due to my experience building ARs (none) ive decided to buy a complete rifle rather than a kit. saw this M&P15 sport and it looks real nice. im not sure what the differences are between this and the other m&p15s but it is alot cheaper. my question is has anyone had any experience with the sport and did you like it? is it worth around $700 or should i save for something better? thanks for any input
    ruger91

NRA member

I do not own one, but many members here do so you should get some good insight. From what I have read and researched, they are a good entry level AR. No forward assist and have a light barrel. Other than that, I have read they are excellent for the money. Not sure if they can handle the steel cased ammo.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Administrator
    If that's all you can swing its a decent buy; but for just a little more you can get a whole lot more.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If that's all you can swing its a decent buy; but for just a little more you can get a whole lot more.
    what do you recommend? with christmas around the corner im low on funds but i have nothing agianst saving and waiting. thanks for the replies.
    ruger91

NRA member

Administrator
    BCM, Troy, Spikes all offer base rifles that are solid in the 8-900 dollar range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

thanks Sixto
    ruger91

NRA member

Mine was $650 out the door, if they're going up in price then you may as well start looking at spending a couple hundred more.

This is my only AR so I can't give you any real "comparison" but it's been great so far. I have a Vortex Strikefire on top for an optic. This is actually going to be a predator rifle for a while until I either buy another upper and trigger/AR or a bolt gun in .223. I don't have to worry about shots much farther than 100 yards in my usual hunting areas so the red dot works just fine, and accuracy is definitely "minute of coyote". I don't miss the forward assist at all, but a dust cover would be convenient when I'm walking through the brush.

VIP Member
    If you shop around you can find better deals on M&P rifles. I bought my M&P for $599 after a $100 factory rebate. It was not the sport model either. It was the full M&P with all the good stuff. I was more interested in finding a great deal than I was in getting a gun "right now". It took me about 7 months of hard shopping to find that price.

If it were me I'd look for a sale at PSA. You can get a lot of rifle for not too much cash. You can get a fully specced lower from PSA for around $265 shipped. Then you can shop like crazy to find an upper on sale from BCM or any of the other quality makers.

Complete PSA AR15 Lower - Classic Edition - Lower Receivers - Lower Parts - AR-15

BCM Standard 16" M4 SOCOM Upper Receiver Group

Then all you'd need is a BCG and a charging handle for around $175. I already included shipping costs in the receiver and BCG prices. Now we add in $20 for the upper shipping and $20 for your FFL and we get $919 TOTAL for a top notch rifle.

I recently got my first ar as well with no experience on the platform prior to researching and deciding to buy one. I was aiming at the m&p 15 sport as well due to its price and how beautiful it looks online. Then I went to check it out in person and realized it looks funny in its CT legal form. No flash suppressor. Fixed stock. Those things wouldn't affect you. You'd get the pretty model that I saw online but the thing that I read a lot about online was that it doesn't have a chrome lined barrel. This makes it harder to clean and the barrel doesn't last very long. I ended up with a stag model 8 which just so happens to be made in CT.

I would hold out and build your own. You will learn a lot more about the rifle that way, and you will be able to have it come out the way you want it to since you will be in control of all aspects of it. You can at least build the lower yourself, which is very simple...and purchase a completed upper.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I love my Sport. Here is a post from a friend of mind on another forum who knows the AR platform better than anyone I know.

Why is the Sport so great?

I will just give you a quick run down of the Sport and why it is such a great gun.

1. The barrel is a 5R rifled barrel.
    5R barrels are known for their accuracy regardless of caliber. For whatever reason they just shoot and shoot well. It also increases the velocity by virtue of how the rifling is laid out.

2. The barrel is Melonite treated.
    Melonite treatments are far better than any chrome lining as far as hardness and durability. It also offers an exception amount of corrosion resistance. It is more than just a surface coating like chrome, it actually treats the metal and goes subsurface.

3. The bolt is properly heat treated.
    This is very important for the long term durability of the firearm. It ensures the headspace will remain in spec longer than those bolts that are not heat treated properly. Poorly heat treated bolts will either wear prematurely or break from being too brittle.

4. It has a barrel twist rate of 8
    This twist rate allows you to fire the heaviest bullets that can be fed from a magazine, up to 80 grains. And because it isn't a 7 twist (like most others out there) you can also fire the lightweight varmint style bullets without fear of the jackets seperating.

5. It comes ready to fire.
    It comes with a Magpul rear sight while most competitors, even those 100's of dollars more expensive, do not. The sights have been proven for several years now both by those in harms way as well as the weekend shooter. It also includes a Magpul magazine which has also been proven for seveal years now.

6. It is built to the same specs as all other AR's
    This means you can upgrade and swap parts to build a gun that suits your wants or needs. And because it is an AR most of the work can be done by the owner and if it is a milspec part it WILL fit.

7. The price
    In reality if any other maker were to offer the same features as the Sport has they would be asking 100's of dollars more. The 5R barrel and Melonite treatment were once only offered on high end guns. And included in the price is a warranty that is among the best in the industry.

You cannot go wrong with the M&P Sport and they are hard to find because they are such a great gun.

I personally, wouldn't buy anything, that is not marked 5.56 nato. I don't own a m&p. with that said 5.56 and 1:7 twist

anyone ever tried Brownells AR builder?
    ruger91

NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    anyone ever tried Brownells AR builder?
    Too expensive IMO.

You want to buy a $700.00 S&W M&P 15 Sport, when you have been pointed to a $700.00 PSA M4 Carbine? That's just crazy talk right there.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links