Buying First AR-15 New Or Used ?

This is a discussion on Buying First AR-15 New Or Used ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello fellow shooters, I'm going to be buying my first AR platform and I've been mulling it over whether i should buy it new (Order ...

Thread: Buying First AR-15 New Or Used ?

New Member Array FloridaRifleMan's Avatar

Buying First AR-15 New Or Used ?

Hello fellow shooters, I'm going to be buying my first AR platform and I've been mulling it over whether i should buy it new (Order it) Or Buy it used
    (off the shelf) from my local gun store. Like most AR's Everything is interchangeable so fixing something i don't like isn't a problem, I have been doing some research to the best of my capabilities with limited knowledge, I'm interested in the M&P 15 Or Colts LE 6920 16" Mid-length 1-7 Twist 4150 CMV Barrel

My question is does it matter other than the Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) I was thinking about changing that anyway to a WMD NIB-X Bcg buy. slightly used or Should I Go the completely new route That is the question

2. Remove Ads

If this is your first AR, then worry about the fancy coatings later.

Get the Colt if those are the two on your short list.

If you want to order in a new rifle, Colt, BCM, or PSA for a good basic entry level rifle of high quality. Figure in another $800 for a sling, RDS, mags, AMMO(!) and maybe a light.

After you learn to shoot it and how it operates then you can ponder getting a NiB coated BCG, or other wizbang stuff.

ETA - To answer you question on Used or New rifle - that is up to you. Depending on how "used" it is, I would not have a problem with that as long as the price validates the "used" factor. Saving $100 to $200 on a "Used" is not worth it IMO, unless you know for a fact it has less than 500 rounds down the pipe.

I'm an arse when it comes to that, and I will rarely pay more than 60% of retail for anything used.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The Colt LE6920 is a carbine length, if you're referring to the gas system. If you're down to the Colt or the S&W, you should know the Colt is far better built from a durability standpoint. It doesn't mean you should avoid the S&W, but if the prices are close you definitely will be happier down the line if you go with the Colt. The BCG on either one should be just fine.

From my perspective it depends on what you want relative to your budget. Typically used firearms at gun stores aren't a huge bargain, unless you know someone or can negotiate the price. Armslist.com is a good place to find what you want, although you need to be careful and somewhat picky. But, you can find people who are selling like new rifles and pistols for 25% or more under list prices.

If the deal is good enough and the person isn't local, you can have them ship it to your FFL (~$25 each side from independent dealers plus shipping costs, and you may be able to get the seller to pay the FFL fee on his end). Handling the money is a bit trickier, but not that big of a deal. I sold a high-end Garand this way. The buyer sent a bank check to my FFL. When he received it I brought the rifle and called his bank. They validated the information, I turned over the rifle and it was shipped, and I walked away with the check. Postal money orders also work good, but there is a small dollar limit ($400 I think) so you often need several of them.

For example, if your budget is $900 you might be able to find the M&P 15 on sale close to that amount (there are cheaper rifles, like Bushmaster and DPMS). Or, you look around on Armslist and likely find a Cold, BCM or other higher-end rifle that is new or like new for roughly the same price. I'm a fan of getting the best quality possible, but it is always nice to have choices (as long as you have time / patience).

Hope that helps.

Discounts I have seen on used AR's is not that good. You can get ripped on a used one if you don't know what to look for. That happens a lot.
    You can buy A new Windham,for 800 as good as the colt the colt 6920 for 1097 IMO new unless you really know what your buying is worth the deal.

VIP Member
    If ur going get one do it soon before u can't .
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Discounts I have seen on used AR's is not that good. You can get ripped on a used one if you don't know what to look for. That happens a lot.
    You can buy A new Windham,for 800 as good as the colt the colt 6920 for 1097 IMO new unless you really know what your buying is worth the deal.
    In what reality is a spinoff of Bushmaster "as good as" a Colt? Utter nonsense. Spend the extra $300 on a Colt and have no doubt that you are getting one the best available, instead of a new company on the market.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links