AR15 .22 conversion kit or new .22 upper?

This is a discussion on AR15 .22 conversion kit or new .22 upper? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an AR15 with a CMMG .22 conversion kit. I tried it and well, uh, er, it failed miserably, failing to feed every other ...

Thread: AR15 .22 conversion kit or new .22 upper?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

AR15 .22 conversion kit or new .22 upper?

I have an AR15 with a CMMG .22 conversion kit. I tried it and well, uh, er, it failed miserably, failing to feed every other round.

The unit is going back to CMMG for warranty work, but I am rethinking my choice. Would it be better to just purchase a whole .22 upper instead of the conversion kit? One of the disadvantages of that is my AR15 is all decked out with an Eotech red dot, Magpul iron sites, and a Daniel Defensive Omega rail. I would not have that on a new .22 upper. On the other hand, if the conversion kit does not work, what good is it?

Comments?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Hopefully your kit will come back working OK. I have a CMMG stainless kit for my AR and it performs pretty much flawlessly. It has already paid for itself as I have several hundred rounds thru it. Good luck with yours.

Donnie D

Did you try different ammo,and run it wet,lube the rails the bolt slides on well,I have no problem running federal bulk,but Remington doesn't feed reliably,and we shoot the federal with a full auto ciener 22 M16 conversion kit that we can shoot short bursts or do mag dumps in about 2 seconds with.
    (The M16 conversion has to be used in a full auto gun,it won't turn an Ar15 into FA with just the kit)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I ran a CMMG for a while, it worked OK but it is a compromise. I would go dedicated upper, it will have the proper twist rate and should be more accurate, plus less operating glitches.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Dedicated .22 upper hands down, no question. As stated earlier, you'll have the correct barrel and twist.
    In my experience, the conversion kits I have owned and tried were somewhat reliable, but horribly inaccurate.

I built a dedicated SBR .22 rifle and it's a blast to shoot. Everyone loves shooting it at the range. =)

Links