.300 Blackout Gas Systems

This is a discussion on .300 Blackout Gas Systems within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking at .300 Blackout uppers for AR-15s and I noticed that some of the 16" uppers built by Noveske come with pistol length ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: .300 Blackout Gas Systems

.300 Blackout Gas Systems

I was looking at .300 Blackout uppers for AR-15s and I noticed that some of the 16" uppers built by Noveske come with pistol length gas systems, while 16' uppers from AAC come with the standard carbine length gas system. Is there an advantage to running a pistol length gas system with .300 Blackout over a carbine length gas system?

2. Remove Ads

I imagine the gas port hole has to be bigger for the longer gas systems with same length barrel. People have differing opinion on gas length systems and their pros and cons. It can be argued that a longer gas tube will produce a lower pressure, lower temperature gas impulse to the bolt carrier group. This could lead to longer life and smoother feel during cycling. It can also be argued that the shorter the gas system, the higher the pressure - and higher pressure will be more reliable. I think both arguments make sense. So I guess my opinion is, "Meh."

Looking on the Noveske site, it looks like only their chrome-lined versions come with a carbine length gas system, while the stainless ones have a pistol length system.

Looking on the AAC website I don't see anywhere that it says they use a pistol length system - but on MidwayUSA they list in the description that it has a carbine length system. Advanced Armament Co (AAC) AR-15 A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 300 AAC

In general I go for the longer gas systems....FWIW.

Austin
    Last edited by aus71383; December 15th, 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Maybe it would make a difference if you were shooting mainly sub-sonic ammo?

Senior Moderator
    JDavisArk is correct.

For shooting the subsonics, the pistol length gas tube performs better.

The carbine length will be great for supers, but may be problematic with anything less. The Remingto .300 Blackout ammo is designed to function with the carbine lengths but other ammo may have issues.

Most of the people that I deal with use the Blackout in the suppressed mode and could care less about shooting supersonics as they have other guns that do it better. Since the Blackout was designed to be shot while wearing a suppressor, it works great for that. One of my personal guns that I built, uses a 9" barrel with the gas tube in the pistol position and it runs like a sewing machine...with or without a can on it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the Info. I am pretty interested in this round as I'm thinking of getting a suppressor. I am also looking into getting into hunting and I think the .300 blackout would serve me better than 5.56.

Senior Moderator
    I shot a deer at 153 steps opening day. I was using a 220 grain bullet with Remington Subsonic and shooting it through an AAC Cyclone suppressor.

That bullet passed completley through the deer which ran around 60 yards and piled up. The other deer with it never even flinched until the deer dropped. The loudest sound was not the shot, but the bullet strike. It sounded like a ripe watermelon being thumped with a spoon.

The Blackout does well with a suppressor.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I shot a deer at 153 steps opening day. I was using a 220 grain bullet with Remington Subsonic and shooting it through an AAC Cyclone suppressor.

That bullet passed completley through the deer which ran around 60 yards and piled up. The other deer with it never even flinched until the deer dropped. The loudest sound was not the shot, but the bullet strike. It sounded like a ripe watermelon being thumped with a spoon.

The Blackout does well with a suppressor.
    I may have to come for a visit and try that. That sounds really fun to me.

Links