Defensive Carry banner

Making a major,drastic change in rifles for SD, and shtf.

8K views 77 replies 46 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
For a long time I have been thinking about this. I carried the M16A2 for years, and saw the effects of the 20 inch barrel on "soft targets" here and there. To tell you the truth, I was never too impressed with the 5.56 and its effectiveness on anything.

But, I suppose since they are popular, and I was trained and familiar with every aspect of the weapons system. I lived with it, and kind of blindly followed the market like cattle do a tractor loaded with hay.

But the last straw was a couple of weeks ago. I attended by invitation a culling hunt at a local game farm. There were a few guys there using the AR rifles, and watching the results of the shooting made me sick to my stomach, but it was for me a valuable lesson.

I am happy to say, that I have no more puny 5.56/223 rifles. What is replacing them?

2 Springfield M1A National Match models with black and OD synthetic stocks, with a supply of 20 round mags, and 500 rounds apiece of ammo.

The rifles are currently on order, and should be in next week.

Yes, I am paying big time, and I have also had to trade a few guns I really wanted to keep, but it saved me alot of cash.

But Ill tell you what; I feel like this is the most sensible upgrade I have made in a long time.

I figure if I need a rifle, I REALLY NEED a rifle, not some puny high speed 22 round. And if its a close threat, I want a big bullet. So, I am super sizing everything, 30 cal rifles, and 45 pistols. When you have to hit someone, hit them hard the first time.
I do believe in bringing enough gun.

See less See more
#69 ·
Addressing the Hi-Point 45. I have a Hi-point 9mm and had a .40 before it was stolen. I have not been able to find a replacement for it in over 6 months. The Hi-Points are super popular for their price, warranty, and reliability. They are VERY reliable but the question is more about real estate. Each gun occupies a space on your body in a bug-out or hunting situation. (Call it what you may.) So does your ammo. So, if you are looking to carry a close range only setup a carbine and handgun ammo match is the best. A hundred .45 rounds takes a lot less space than 50 .45's and 50 .308's or .30/06's. However, the space and energy needed on your shoulder to carry a .30/06, a .308, or the .45 carbine is about the same. I like to keep the Hi-Point carbine as a backup or camp gun. Even my granddaughter loves shooting it and feels perfectly comfortable hog hunting with it. I carry the .308 Saiga with 8+1 on the ready.

Reactions: Gunnutty
#70 ·
One other note if this helps anyone. I did a lot of research and price checking and eventually settled on the .308 Saiga from Izmash for $499.00. This is a new gun with chrome lined barrel and will take the 7.62 and .308 marked ammo. It has a shorter barrel so I attached a 3-9x40 Nikon scope and tested accuracy. It is sufficiently accurate a 100 yards for a hunting scope. I took it out this weekend and sighted with the iron sites at 50 yards to produce a good 2in grouping (great considering I can’t see anything but a red blur for the target). They developed this version off of the 7.62 x 51 AK platform, removed the pistol grip and classic AK wood furniture for a plastic refit and called it the .308 hunting/sport rifle. It is not a ultra high quality tight fitting rifle but after a hundred or so rounds I feel confident it is now my go-to gun for deer/hog/dangerous animal hunting. (8 round magazine comes with rifle. 25 rounders can be purchased and cut down and reassembled for 15, 10, or 8 or as needed for your area.)

#71 ·
Probably glad I missed that speech. "Oh no, the ergonomics and shape makes it a more deadly firearm than the rest".

They tried an AWB before (memories are short). Their own Govt' studies showed no discernible change in gun violence during the ban, and there has been no increase in such since the ban died, but a spooky amount of tax revenue was generated in sales and ATF tax stamps for those forbidden items like select fire, SBRs and suppressors.

Reactions: atctimmy
#72 ·
Sticks is right! However, LOGIC has nothing to do with the current political discussion. Just like "taxing the rich." It makes no discernible difference in the big picture - it has EVERYTHING to do with "fairness." Renewing and tightening the AWB will have no impact on whack jobs and behavior and our elected idiots know it. People will "feel better" about having done SOMETHING, rather than doing nothing.

#73 ·
If an AWB is proposed that deals with looks and/or features, i.e. pistol grips, capacity etc. As posted previously, the M1A would likely be excluded based on the lack of a PG, caliber, it's non-evil look, and capacity.

Makes you wonder if such an AWB would promote AR's with rifle stocks instead of pistol grips???

Let's be careful here and try to stay close to the topic and not drift too far into weapon bans and gun control, etc.

#74 ·
I do not own a .223 and have not found it useful for me. I have M1 carbines for PDW's and a FN-FAL for my battle rifle. I prefer .357 magnums for my carry pistols (but do own .38spl's and 9mm's)

#75 ·
But the last straw was a couple of weeks ago. I attended by invitation a culling hunt at a local game farm. There were a few guys there using the AR rifles, and watching the results of the shooting made me sick to my stomach, but it was for me a valuable lesson.
This sickens me also. Real sportsman they are.

#76 ·
I've got a pair of ARs which will never be used for hunting - strictly fun and defense guns. At a desert shoot a while back, a friend with a DS Arms FAL and I traded guns for a few mags. We were both shooting at a cardboard box... it moved when the 5.56 hit it, but it jumped when the 7.62 hit it.

I admire glockman both for his respect for game animals and for his level of commitment to his beliefs - dumping the AR completely in favor of the M1A1. That's putting your money where your mouth is! I've had one of those on the wish list for a long time, but at least I've got the Garand to satisfy the .30 cal battle rifle "jones" for now! Plus a re-stocked SKS for lower-cost fun.

#77 ·
Thanks for sharing that. I have always tried to decide between the Ruger Mini 14 and the Mini 30. I am guessing the Mini 30 with its 7.62x39 round would be much better than the 5.56 round. What do you all think ??? How is pricing for the 7.62x39 rounds compated to the 5.56 ?? Thanks for any info. God Bless and Merry Christmas !!! :smile:

#78 ·
Glockman10mm; this has been a fun thread with some good discussion.

And a truth hit me between the eyes after considering your thoughts.

I don't really like pistol-grip stocks either. Never was conscious of it before but hadn't put any thought into it.

I do really like the full-sized M1A. For that matter I really like the grand ol' M1. A fellow just can't beat a high-powered .30 rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.