Should Betty buy a Beta-C mag for her new AR?

This is a discussion on Should Betty buy a Beta-C mag for her new AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Go with A you will not regret it.:rock:...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Betty buy a Beta-C mag for her new AR?

Go with A you will not regret it.:rock:

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    The beta mag is a totally impractical device unless you have a full auto gun that you are using in a fixed defensive position. Like others have said, you are much better off spending the money buying good 30 round mags that will work!

If you already have at least a dozen quality AR 30 rounders and have the extra cash, then go for it. I think the 30\'s are more practical but the Beta-C has a \"cool factor\" the 30\'s never will. It\'s also on my list of things I want but really don\'t need.

Betty, put me down in the D column unless you have an AR where accuracy is not a concern nor a problem.

Friend decided to do a full Beta Mag dump (not bump fire either) through his AR, and subsequently thereafter destroyed the bbl. The excessive heat did something to his bbl, so much so the blueing or whatever Kote he had on it bubbled off of the bbl.

I myself value accuracy over round count and passed on the 3 or 4 I have come across recently.

~A

That sounds to me like a barrel problem. I\'ve done multiple mag dumps (three or four 30s) several times with no issues in both my thompson and AR.

I am only relaying what I saw. A range member said he had seen it happen on a few other Ar-15\'s that did a full magdump from a Beta.

I am not impressed with cyclic rate to hit a target that can be done with a well placed round. Military training still ringing in my ears. Sorry.

To each his own. Betty, in that case go for it.

~A

VIP Member
    I\'ve also heard about melted parts from doing the 100-round dump from the Beta-C. While it would be fun to empty the thing that way, I\'m not about to risk melting bits off my new carbine.

The Beta-C would be great for range day when I\'ve got a half dozen people out who want to shoot my AR. And there\'s the \"just because\" factor. :P

I haven\'t made up my mind yet, but you\'ll find out when I post new pics when I get the rest of my accessories in.

If it’s for the “just because factor” then I agree with Tc300mag1, you must have two.
    But for a tactical purposes, absolutely not. Stick with 10-12 good USGI 30 round mags and a couple ammo cans with loaded bandoleers for easy access.

My vote goes for nicely used or new USGI 30 round mags..get a good start on them...(and keep them loaded too) and then get a Beta IF you still want one.

There are a ton of deals for USGI mags on AR15.com...both new and used. Id much rather have the 30 rounders.

VIP Member
    So far I have accumulated three 30 rounders, three 20 rounders, and the wimpy 10 rounder. And then I bought a First Samco mag connector, so I have two 30 rounders attached.

Thats a good start.....Ive got that pesky 10 rounder too....;) Ive got it loaded with soem of those Winchester 40 gr. varmint rounds from WalMart. The 4 best I have are laoded with Federal XM193 and the other 4 are laoded with Wolf Polymer coated 55 gr. Im about to aquire 5 or so more 30 rnd mags from a friend who gets them all the time slightly used. I dont have any 20 rounders.

Betty

So far I have accumulated three 30 rounders, three 20 rounders, and the wimpy 10 rounder. And then I bought a First Samco mag connector, so I have two 30 rounders attached.
    With that double 30 set up, make sure you put the left mag in first (so the \"extra\" mag is under the ejection port). If you start the other way the dust cover gets in the way of the reload.

That C-mag is totally impractical for a carbine, it totally defeats the purpose of the carbine, light, fast handling and easy to carry. Nothing against LARGE capacity mags, I have a NHM91 (AK style, long barrel with integral bi-pod) sort of the Squad Automatic Weapon version for which I have 3 75 round drums and 3 100 round drums (I couldn\'t help myself Klinton tried to tell me I could only have 10 rounders). I do sometimes use them in the other \"standard\" AK styles, but they are best suited to support weapons.

Originally posted by F350
    With that double 30 set up, make sure you put the left mag in first (so the \"extra\" mag is under the ejection port). If you start the other way the dust cover gets in the way of the reload.
    Another thing you can do is set the left mag a little higher than the right.

My mag connectors attach at the bottom, i\'m thinking she has the same ones, no way to adjust the stager.

Never mind....just looked them up, they attach to the body and can be adjusted, I have tried but never liked the method of attaching the mags for a 180 degree rotation for the second mag. With the open end down it is way too susceptible to damage and dirt.

The \"flip\" method actually works best for me. Since I dont have the luxury of firing a longarm from the correct shoulder I hit the release with my right thumb. Its hard to reach the release while holding two mags, one of which is in the way half the time, so its too inconsistant with both the mags loaded ammo up. With a lot of practice I got pretty quick at the flip method, however not as fast as I could with them both ammo up while reloading right-handed. Y\'all have it easy. I hate having cross-dominant eyes...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links