Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired? - Page 2

Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

This is a discussion on Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; DaGunny, Thank you for your service. Your example was not that of a civilian in a sd role, I am betting you had much better ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

DaGunny,
    Thank you for your service.
    Your example was not that of a civilian in a sd role, I am betting you had much better support than joe homeowner has when jh needs his rifle.

Dan

Folks, please keep this on topic or the thread will get locked.

I agree with most of you - but I'm asking for specific examples of civilian use of high volumes of fire with a long gun. Thanks for those who have replied so far. Owning a gun shop seems to be a theme so far...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Folks, please keep this on topic or the thread will get locked.

I agree with most of you - but I'm asking for specific examples of civilian use of high volumes of fire with a long gun. Thanks for those who have replied so far. Owning a gun shop seems to be a theme so far...
    The question should be, when we did this before, did it help? I don't think so. The left would have us believe we didn't go far enough.

I don't think the civilian use of a defensive long gun is very prevalent.
    At least I can't think of any.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I dunno.

In the "Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power" thread/study, there were 1513 people shot with a handgun, and 276 people shot with long guns. That comes out to a long gun being used about 18% of the time a firearm is used.

BTW - I seem to recall YOU using a shotgun to shoot some burglers in the rear end in your younger days, no?
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

6 in the tube and 1 in the pipe on my .45-70 level carbine. That would make me feel confidant that I could handle my own.

Bob

Too many toys to list...wife might see it. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I'll be honest: I don't understand why a 10-round semi-auto shotgun isn't sufficient for home defense.

can someone please explain this to me?
    if ny laws are similar to nj,a 10 shot semi auto shotgun is illegal already.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I dunno.

In the "Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power" thread/study, there were 1513 people shot with a handgun, and 276 people shot with long guns. That comes out to a long gun being used about 18% of the time a firearm is used.

BTW - I seem to recall YOU using a shotgun to shoot some burglers in the rear end in your younger days, no?
    True. I only used 3 shots. But for some reason, when I think of long guns, it's the rifle I think of; not sure why.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

New Member Array buffalosabres61's Avatar
    I'll be honest: I don't understand why a 10-round semi-auto shotgun isn't sufficient for home defense.
    Just my two cents, but if you take the example provided of 3 bad guys, that's 3 shots per bad guy (ok, somebody gets 4) . I don't know about you, but when legitimately put in a high stress environment, I would not want to bet my life on the possibility that 3 bullets may not stop each threat.

VIP Member
    They keep saying that guns have to have a sporting purpose. Well I don't hunt, and don't see anything sporting about it (note, I am not opposed to hunting at all, I just don't happen to do it and without competition don't consider it a sport). I do shoot competitions, which is clearly a sporting endeavor. I cannot imagine trying to run a 3 gun match using a rifle that does not accept a detachable magazine and cannot hold more than 10 rounds. As a civilian I regularly use a rifle for a legitimate purpose that requires more than 10 rounds. No, it isn't defensive in nature... but it is a high volume activity that thousands of people participate in regularly.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Actually, it sounds pretty good - unless you've got three guys breaking down your door and each one has a 10-round semi-automatic anything.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I feel comfortable with a 15rd magazine in a M1 carbine backed up by a S&W model 65, that is my Home defense combination
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    One of the congressmen from up this way defended his home from some invaders with an AR-15 a couple years back. He was an Iraq vet too IIRC. But, I seem to recall no shots were fired.

OP, honestly I think that your guidelines are a little bit limiting, possibly intentionally. You need not only an offensive threat that would require multiple shots, but also a person defending themselves with a long gun. There have been some situations that I can think of where I would certainly want a long gun, some of the hostile home invasions come to mind by groups of thugs, were there are 3-4 or more thugs involved. Your long gun limitation also means that it is pretty much limited to defense inside the home.

I think there was a video of a home owner shooting at a car load of thugs in his driveway trying to rob his home. He came out with a shotgun I think. Not sure it was more than 10 rounds, but it was definitely multiple rounds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

does anyone know of a civilian defensive shooting involving the firing of more than 10 rounds from a long gun?
    Yes - one, possibly two. Thank The Ayoob Files in American Handgunner magazine.

The Gary Fadden incident: davehayes.org » Blog Archive » The Gary Fadden Incident

Lead and Diamonds: Lead and diamonds: the Richmond jewelry store shootout [Blast from the Past] (posted here on DC before we got serious about copyright violations). This incident involved the defensive use of a shotgun, only after numerous handguns had gone dry. Draw your own conclusions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks folks. These are the kind of concrete examples we need. Keep 'em coming.
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links