Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired? - Page 3

Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

This is a discussion on Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think we're confusing 'rights' issues with need. The OP is asking for incidents where more than 10 shots were fired with a long gun, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

Senior Moderator
    I think we're confusing 'rights' issues with need. The OP is asking for incidents where more than 10 shots were fired with a long gun, not whether 10 round mags should be legal or not. I think we can all agree that we are not trying to justify 10 round magazines or restrictive laws.

And, 10thmtn, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe your point is that if a law were passed limiting long gun capacity to 10 rounds, how badly would that affect us from a SD standpoint.

I'm happy with 7+1 rounds in a 12 ga tactical shotgun - that's a lot of firepower. Unless we're in a situation where we're forced to shoot just as long and fast as we can, then there will be enough time and opportunity to feed the shotgun at least a round or two. Of course you have to be proficient at that, and I am, and practicing it more and more just to be sure.

I'm not saying that we would never face an all out shoot as fast as you can firefight, but it is not a given that you won't be shot before you can empty a mag. I thought it was very interesting in one link that the guy downloaded AR mags to 15 rounds and ran out of ammo. He had another downloaded 15 round on the stock as I recall and he had time to reload. I wonder if when the ammo ran out of the first mag, if he might not have been better off just to run??? Why stay and fight a fight you can escape from?
    Rexster likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I think we're confusing 'rights' issues with need. The OP is asking for incidents where more than 10 shots were fired with a long gun, not whether 10 round mags should be legal or not. I think we can all agree that we are not trying to justify 10 round magazines or restrictive laws.

And, 10thmtn, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe your point is that if a law were passed limiting long gun capacity to 10 rounds, how badly would that affect us from a SD standpoint.
    You are correct on all counts.

Seems that a 10-rd mag restriction would be more of an issue with handguns, which lack power to begin with. So far, needing more than 10 rounds with a long gun seems to be a rare event. Rare - but not unheard of.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I'll be honest: I don't understand why a 10-round semi-auto shotgun isn't sufficient for home defense.

can someone please explain this to me?
    Dear Sir,

Has it ever occurred to you that your opinions are clouded by the fact that you live in a city? Your needs are probably 99% based on a paradigm consisting of close range attacks by two legged predators. Most of those predators will assume that their prey is unarmed and probably won't want to fight an armed citizen.

Here in the country we have bigger fish to fry. We have more room, more range and more firepower (both good and bad). We also have wild animals. For me a shotgun doesn't have the range or the capacity to deal with all threats from BGs or wild animals.

When I say wild animals I mean bears (not too likely, but possible. A neighbor's dog was eaten by a bear a few years ago). But the biggest threat is groups of feral dogs. Feral dogs running wild in packs of two to twenty are not uncommon. I live on a 51 acre farm and a shotgun doesn't have the reach I may need. My kids could be playing 200 yards from my house when a threat appears. A shotgun just isn't going to cut it.

Also, BGs in the country EXPECT every homeowner to have a shotgun. It is the country after all and everyone DOES have a shotgun or ten. BG tactics have evolved over the years to be more aggressive. Home invaders are using multiple attackers armed with rifles, carbines, shotguns and body armor. A rifle penetrates body armor, a shotgun does not. Also a higher capacity gun would give me a much higher chance of survival if engaged by multiple attackers (which is the norm out here). Also it is possible to be involved in a gunfight at distances too great for a shotgun to be effective.

In short, it's different out here. It's time you as a city slicker understand that. The sooner you do the sooner you'll get on board and start helping the cause.

Your friend,

Timmy
    buckeye .45, mprp, zacii and 2 others like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Not to mention that you don't have the world's largest police force to come to your aid. Help is probably going to take a while to get to you.
    atctimmy and PEF like this.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    To drift slightly off-topic, I tend to like smaller-capacity magazines to keep the weapon itself slimmer. This makes the weapon less prone to snagging on things, enables the weapon to fit into a slimmer case/scabbard, and makes a much lower prone position possible. I do not support magazine capacity limitations, but do tend to own proportionately fewer 20- and 30-round mags than many folks, because I like the 10-rounders just fine. (AR and Mini-14)

I have even wished for an 7-to-8-round Mini-14 factory mag, to fit nearly flush, yet offer just a bit more than the long-standard 5-round magazine. (Eight rounds would match the M1 Garand's capacity.)

To be clear, I/we do indeed own and use 20-round Mini-14 mags, and 20/30-round AR15 mags; I am not advocating a mag capacity limit.

As for the number of rounds fired from long guns, the few police long gun shootings in my area, with which I am familiar, seem to be one rifle or shotgun round per incident, but there have been incidents locally in which I do not know the number of rounds fired. I have not heard of any of my co-workers having to reload an AR15 during a gunfight; most tend to use 30-round mags.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    To drift slightly off-topic, I tend to like smaller-capacity magazines to keep the weapon itself slimmer. This makes the weapon less prone to snagging on things, enables the weapon to fit into a slimmer case/scabbard, and makes a much lower prone position possible.
    That's interesting! Because that's exactly the way I see it! Except I do like the 20 round mags, but I do like the thought at least a few 10 round mags for my AR. Where do you get them???

...I do not support magazine capacity limitations, but do tend to own proportionately fewer 20- and 30-round mags than many folks, because I like the 10-rounders just fine. (AR and Mini-14).........I am not advocating a mag capacity limit.
    Understand completely!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I also agree about the shorter mags - they do make shooting from the prone easier!
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Tangle, I got my 10-round AR15 magazines through Brownells. I have forgotten the brand; perhaps DPMS.

VIP Member
    Tangle, I got my 10-round AR15 magazines through Brownells. I have forgotten the brand; perhaps DPMS.
    I like the smaller mags for use at the range. I can never get into the sand bags quite right with a 30 round mag.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links