Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

This is a discussion on Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all the hoopla and hand wringing regarding possible new gun control laws, I'm a bit curious about something... If we should get hit with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

Question Defensive long gun use - more than 10 rounds fired?

With all the hoopla and hand wringing regarding possible new gun control laws, I'm a bit curious about something...

If we should get hit with another 10-round magazine limit for long guns - does anyone know of a civilian defensive shooting involving the firing of more than 10 rounds from a long gun?

I know the Korean shop owners defending their property during the riots in LA comes up, but I don't know the details - number of shots fired...was there time to reload, etc.

If there have been such instances, might be good to document them.

Just curious, more than anything. And please, this is not the place to argue that you should be able to have high cap mags, or what might or could happen during a riot or SHTF scenario...I understand all of that.

Thanks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I don't know 10th. But I can tell you I would not feel under gunned in most situations using my 1903 Smith-Corona 30-06. After all, it was our nations battle rifle.

As a matter of fact, I'm going downstairs and loading up about 50 rounds of 30-06 150 grn soft nose bullets and take it out for a " test run" this weekend.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Not sure what the totals might be....& really don't care.....not trying to be flippant, it is just another straw man argument.

I don't think the words "I wish I had carried less ammunition!" have ever been spoken by someone in a gunfight.

Some here have stated that they aren't opposed to a ban on 'high capacity' magazines. The problem is, I don't trust the lame stream media or ANY politician to decide what limits on the number of rounds you or I can carry. As soon as you let them get the foot in the door, they'll limit you to some number they pull out of their (censored) & when it doesn't stop bad people from committing crime, they'll want to take even that small number away.

I'm also a little tired of politicians & media saying they aren't after every-bodies 'sporting' guns. The Second Amend. isn't about hunting it's about defense from enemies foreign & DOMESTIC.

---end of rant

Sorry to 10thMtn, I didn't mean to go where you didn't want to...........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    One recent example:
    Gun shop owner shoots, kills man during attempted robbery - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

the owner emptied a 30 round magazine before retreating to his room to get more ammunition.
    10thmtn likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

My 1st tour in the Corps, as my fire team's "designated shooter" (force recon, attached), I carried a M14 with 10 round mags. I don't recall ever running out of ammo.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Glockman - agreed. I'm pretty comfortable with a 6+1 lever gun. But still, I'd like to see what is out there.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

i just dont want a bunch of politicians telling me what i need and dont need.....

virg
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 18th, 2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: language

I'll be honest: I don't understand why a 10-round semi-auto shotgun isn't sufficient for home defense.

can someone please explain this to me?

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    I do understand that it can happen, but posting one incident that happened 22 years ago doesn't convince ME and I'm on your side. No way it convinces antis.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    All of my rifles are true, low-capacity hunting rifles. If one were to run empty, I'll rely on that NY reload and grab the next.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Why do i need to justify the capacity of whatever i choose to defend myself or my family or my business? i will use the best tool for the job at hand, as I see fit to. If i am not a threat to anyone but a violent attacker, or to a piece of paper, what does the capacity matter?
    In all honesty, a 10 rnd auto or pump shotgun loaded w number 4 buck could likely inflict the same casualties under the same circumstances (tight space, compresses targets) as seen at the Aurora or NewTown abominations.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Why do i need to justify the capacity of whatever i choose to defend myself or my family or my business? i will use the best tool for the job at hand, as I see fit to. If i am not a threat to anyone but a violent attacker, or to a piece of paper, what does the capacity matter?
    In all honesty, a 10 rnd auto or pump shotgun loaded w number 4 buck could likely inflict the same casualties under the same circumstances (tight space, compresses targets) as seen at the Aurora or NewTown abominations.

Dan
    You don't need to, but the avalanche of ignorance has already started sliding. If you want to quell the fears of the irrational anti-gun folks your best course of action is to educate the ones that aren't too far gone to listen. You shouldn't HAVE to, as the 2nd Amendment guarantees you the rights, but if you don't you will be proud, defiant and armed with 10-round magazines.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Brad426,
    The OP asked for examples, i provided one. Doubt that is the only one, just the one on the top of my head. As far as convincing anti's, i dont believe they can be convinced. As to convincing you, well, tell me why u need convincing again.

Dan

Sorry Brad,
    My first response was to Pythius.

My point was/is: the vast majority of antis will not be swayed. Most of us posting here are preachingto the chior. We know that to effect the same carnage as Lanza did, had he been limited to ten round mags, he would have simply coupled the mags, and proceeded as planned, losing possibly a couple of seconds on mag changes, but the net results are still the same. Then the outcry would be about the platform. After the ar platform is voluntarily registered, then forcefully registered, then voluntarily turned in w the promise of amnesty, then collected door to door, the next massacre will be conducted by a moonbat whose mental illness has been ignored because we are all allowed to march to a different beat no matter how off key the drummer, using a semi auto shotgun and buckshot. Repeat previos cycle, only now our moonbat uses a pump shotgun or lever action hunting rifle, repeat cycle.....
    The anti's agenda is and has always been the same- no guns for anyone but mil and police. They know they cannot do it all at once, so they do it piecemeal. First mag restrictions, then weapon type, then the number of guns one can own, then registration, then.... we know the rest. Let's call this what this is, foot in the door tactics. Do you or anyone here truly believe that the hardcore antis will be content at ten rnd capacity laws?
    Up till now, i didnt believe the antis had thejuice to get traction and get thieragenda rolling again. But if we start to question are own rights, and start to give a little ground in hopes that the antis will stop at just capacity limits, then they might just be on the road to success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links