Left handed shotgun idea

This is a discussion on Left handed shotgun idea within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im looking at turning my Remington 870 tactical into a left handed tactical shot gun. This is what I currently have http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx is it possible ...

Thread: Left handed shotgun idea

Left handed shotgun idea

Im looking at turning my Remington 870 tactical into a left handed tactical shot gun.

This is what I currently have http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx

is it possible to take the receiver/ejection port and swap it with this Pump Action Shotguns - Model 870 Express - Remington Shotguns but at the same time keeping my barrel and stock?

just a thought, I have no issues with my shotty right now i just would like it to be left handed.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You might want to re-think it. I have several 870s & I think it is an advantage to using the right-handed version. There are even a few competition shooter who are right-handed buying & using left-handed shotties.

You can check the chamber without rolling the gun over.
    You can load extrs rounds directly into the chamber, again without rolling the gun or reaching over/under.

Plus you can reverse the safety so it can be used lefty.

Forgot to add I'm left-handed as well.....
    Last edited by goawayfarm; December 19th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

hmm i never thought about it that way, i look into the safety reverse

I've shot long guns left handed since the beginning - all my weapons are "right handed". I don't have any bolt actions at this time. If I do end up getting one - I'd consider a left handed version. But for shotguns - right handed all the way. Easier to get, easier to reload, there's really no downside to a right handed shotgun....unless you get a fleck of carbon in your eye because you didn't wear eye protection. That can hurt.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I shoot long guns lefty, and the only modification of the controls on my SD/HD/duty 870P is a big-headed safety from Vang-comp. I did not have the safety's operation reversed, but that is a relatively simple and low-cost option.

The reason I elected not to have the safety reversed is because I want to be able to pick up any standard pump shotgun and operate it without having to mentally adjust anything. The household 870 is of normal configuration, because I am the only lefty in the house, and at work, the less-lethal "beanbag" shotguns are of standard configuration. As I am surrounded by "righty" shotguns, I leave my personal 870 in standard configuration.

As goawayfarm indicated, a lefty has greater access to the ejection port, which is an advantage when the weapon is empty, and one wishes to "combat load" through the ejection port.

Links