Curiosity - Page 2

Curiosity

This is a discussion on Curiosity within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DickO This is from a person who knows a veritable zero about such things. Anyway, after listening to the obama speel about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by DickO View Post
    This is from a person who knows a veritable zero about such things. Anyway, after listening to the obama speel about gun control today, I got to wondering about the cost on one of those .223 Bushmaster rifles (since I think I'd better get one while the gittin's good) that I've seen in various outlets. In my searching online, I've seen some "AR 15" tactical type rifles in a .22 caliber. My step grandson even bought one when he was attending ROTC classes here in Kansas.

My question is, of what value is such a weapon (.22 caliber) as far as tactics go. I know it's got 30 round clips so you can shoot a lot of rabbits at one time, but would it be so good in a purely defensive situation? I'm not being facetious about this; just wanted to know if a $700.00 .22 caliber tactical rifle was good for anything else. Maybe training? I don't know, that's why I'd like your comments. Thanks.
    Lets start by throwing out the term "Tactical". It's over used and now rather pointless.

The AR15 platform started out as a civilian copy of the military issue carbine. Form and function, not "Tactical". Specific design changes like from the A2 rifle stock to the collapsible stock to make the carbine more maneuverable in confined areas, storage, and better suited to individual shooters (the first of may break aways from design for the "average" person physical build and arm length). The hand carry handle or flattop design are methods of sighting. The flat top design is more versatile for various types of iron sights, optics and scopes, along with mounting points for slings, lights, grips, etc. It's not tactical, it's versatile. It does not make the rifle any more or less deadly than a 1800's black powder rifle. It's peoples innate fear of an inanimate object that demonizes the platform.

20 and 30 round magazines - I don't really care why they are the most common available civilian magazines. What I do know is that the civilian use for them has evolved around them. Shooting competitions, Small game hunting (no bag limit on nuisance animals), training classes...the list goes on. I also know that all this talk about "Hi-Cap" magazines cause more death is pure nonsense. There are a number of debates on the subject that I am not going to get into here. Use the search feature and find those discussions on your own.

For a vast majority of AR15 owners, it's a recreational hobby. No different than other traditional sports, and less chance of being injured. Personally, this is the only recreational activity that I have. I am strictly a paper puncher, and it is very satisfying to operate such an item knowing all the factors that come into play that can make the difference shooting 10 rounds at a target 100-400y away and keep all of the holes as close together as possible. This stems from my days as a competition archery shooter, and after watching slow motion video, it's a wonder we can hit anything, let alone put 50 arrows into the target the size of a poker chip at 20 yards, let alone even hit a 5' diameter target at 100y (actual groupings are closer to 5").

Your standard bolt action rifle is inherently more accurate by design, but many people like a challenge.

Do some research on basic ballistics. .22LR and .224 are effectively the same size but speed and weight are what matters. That translates into energy at point of impact.

Ideally I would prefer a rifle to a handgun in a self defense situation (that I am thankful at the end of every single day that I did not have to deal with), but it is most impractical to carry around a rifle on a daily basis.

You are new here, and some of your comments are making me wonder if you are not on a fishing trip for verification of "All gun owners are homicidal sociopaths". I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Now if you are serious about learning more about the platform, and are wanting to get into the sport, then I would advise you to not buy A Bushmaster - strictly because of the quality. Do your research, use the search feature, and be prepared to spend $1800 for a entry level setup that will be of quality, and be reliable (this is all before the panic buying stemming from the election and recent events). If it turns out that you don't care for the platform, your resale value for the rifle and the accessories will be better if you have bought quality rather than cheap.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not too bad. Mine cost 300 bucks.

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't pay $700 for one.
    Of course they have likely went up in the last week and a half, but here
    Semi Auto Rifles for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com is a link to GB.
    They averaged around $350-400 a while ago for Mossberg/Ruger/ATI and the like.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

[QUOTE=Sticks;2502040]
    You are new here, and some of your comments are making me wonder if you are not on a fishing trip for verification of "All gun owners are homicidal sociopaths". I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
    QUOTE]

While I 'do' appreciate the valuable information you've provided I do not appreciate having to be given the benefit of "anyone's" doubt. Nor do I appreciate being put in "anyone's" category just for what I wrote when asking for a response to a legitimate question. You're correct... I'm new here. But I'm not new to the world, having put in my time (including 20 years military service that I proudly served as many others did here).

So please, if you're not sure of someone's motives, don't go accusing them of being on fishing trips. Quite the opposite; because I 'am' new hear, I want and seek the the firsthand information that is available. I'm not a thin-skinned individual; I can take criticism when and if needed. I just don't want it "assumed" that I need it; benefit of the doubt or not.

By the way... Merry Christmas to you and yours...
    KBSR likes this.

Funny Thing... All this time and no response... Not even a "Merry Christmas".

Quote Originally Posted by DickO View Post
    Funny Thing... All this time and no response... Not even a "Merry Christmas".
    Not sure who that is directed at.

622 words, 8 paragraphs in my post, offering answers to your questions, pointing out some facts and offering advice on your "Curiosity", and your feathers got ruffled over 42 words expressing concern about how I think you are representing yourself as a word of caution - but looking past it in good faith.

I saw no point in commenting further. I posted my views, you replied such as it was.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

No, my feathers were not ruffled. I was, however, upset that I couldn't come into a new forum and ask a simple question without being questioned as to my motives. It just wasn't your place to assume what you "thought" I was asking and to reflect that thought to everyone else on this forum. I would just ask that you refrain from labeling anyone in the future no matter how innocent you think that label may be. As I said before... I find the information from the folks on this forum to be most valuable (and yes, yours too), so I will continue to ask as best I know how. Just don't question my questions.

And by the way... Have a Happy New Year... Sincerely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links