Curiosity

Curiosity

This is a discussion on Curiosity within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is from a person who knows a veritable zero about such things. Anyway, after listening to the obama speel about gun control today, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Curiosity

Curiosity

This is from a person who knows a veritable zero about such things. Anyway, after listening to the obama speel about gun control today, I got to wondering about the cost on one of those .223 Bushmaster rifles (since I think I'd better get one while the gittin's good) that I've seen in various outlets. In my searching online, I've seen some "AR 15" tactical type rifles in a .22 caliber. My step grandson even bought one when he was attending ROTC classes here in Kansas.

My question is, of what value is such a weapon (.22 caliber) as far as tactics go. I know it's got 30 round clips so you can shoot a lot of rabbits at one time, but would it be so good in a purely defensive situation? I'm not being facetious about this; just wanted to know if a $700.00 .22 caliber tactical rifle was good for anything else. Maybe training? I don't know, that's why I'd like your comments. Thanks.

Although the bullet diameter is .223, it is not the same as a .22LR. They are good cartridges for many types of varmints. Also it happens to be the same caliber used by all branches of service for personally issued weapons. It's performance against man sized targets varies greatly - depending on range, bullet type, and impact velocity (among other factors).

The .22LR versions are just to allow you to train cheaply on the same platform as the .223/5.56mm big brother rifle.

Austin

VIP Member
    The .22LR versions are just to allow you to train cheaply on the same platform as the .223/5.56mm big brother rifle.
    Yep. They are so you can practice at 4 cents per round instead of 45 cents per round.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

CJM
    Don't buy a Bushmaster.

Couple of my family members and friends have the AR-22, but it's just for fun/training at reduced costs. They already have full blown M4 carbines in .223 and some other rifles in 7.62, with all the accessories they feel they need, and lots of spare magazines (not clips LOL). It is a lot of fun to take a 500 round brick of ammo out to the range, and shoot it all up. Most of our budgets don't allow us to do that with .223 ammo.

Would the little round kill? Oh yeah, but not as quickly perhaps as a larger round, and not as far away. If it's all you can find, or all you can afford, I'd suggest it's way better than nothing at all. I personally like the Ruger 10/22. It's relatively cheap, available everywhere, and should you get the urge to turn it into a Tactical Tommy, there are more after market accessories available for it than almost any gun on the market.

Have fun & be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

For that money, I'd rather have a Henry Lever Action .22 or .22 mag, and use the leftover cash for a ton of ammo.
    You'd have just as much fun, and with the .22 mag, a little more knock down power...for the bigger rabbits.

One of these... http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-magnum.cfm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    For FUN! Plus some people swear by the .22 for TEOTWAWKI type situations. It gives you the ability to carry massive quantities of ammo at little weight, and is cheap to stockpile. I guess if you had a tactical looking one, it could give the intimidation of looking like an "assault rifle" to give you a tougher image? I don't know. Just giving ideas here.

I guess I would still go with the others though and say cheap training...and FUN!
    Walk softly ...

Senior Moderator
    My question is, of what value is such a weapon
    I use mine for squirrel hunting. Accurate and quiet.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

They're magazines, not clips.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Thank you all for your comments. Was just about what I suspected. My personal take now is that it would make a better tactical training weapon as opposed to being used for hunting (which I'm sure it's great for). Just seems like it would be awfully expensive for "plinking" squirrels and rabbits. Anyway, thanks again.

Senior Moderator
    Not too bad. Mine cost 300 bucks.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't own a AR-15 .223 or .22 but I have fired a .223 and I really really enjoyed it. It is one sweet firing weapon to shot. I do use a Bersa 22 just to practice and I enjoy shooting a bullet that is cheap to buy however I would use a 22 for protection if I had to.

When I had to qualify in the service, I don't remember if it was an AR 15 or M16(?). At any rate, I remember it being a .223 caliber. Even fired one on 'auto' one time (not knowing the 'lever' was switched)... didn't make the range master none to happy either. They sure do climb fast when you're not expecting it! But you're right saying that it is a sweet shooting rifle. We had the old M1 carbines the first coupla' times we shot (1962). Oh well; enough history.

For that much money, you could get a real AR and then put a .22 lr conversion in it.

But good luck, every single store within 50 miles of me is out of Stoner rifles.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I won an ar-22 at our local gun club in a drawing. I gave it to my son since I already had an ar-15 and a ruger 10/22. It was a colt and it was so ammo finicky he traded for a ruger 10/22 and never looked back. You can get a ruger and deck it out to look like an ar for about the same money. And those things will eat anything. At least ours does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links