Best home defense shotgun ammo? - Page 2

Best home defense shotgun ammo?

This is a discussion on Best home defense shotgun ammo? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I load my 870 with the first two shots of Winchester or Remington 1oz slugs just in case I need to shoot through a barrier ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best home defense shotgun ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I load my 870 with the first two shots of Winchester or Remington 1oz slugs just in case I need to shoot through a barrier or into a car. Slugs will also put some major hurt into a human body. After that comes 00 buck in a couple of flavors. Usually a low recoil law enforcement type and even full power 00 buck.

Thing is, you never ever know what situation you might be in. You will just have to be conscious of your surroundings and where you are pointing the muzzle. To me, the risk of over penetration comes second to stopping the immediate threat. Where I live I can afford that. If you live in an apartment or have close neighbors, then your choices may differ.

But, as stated earlier, for my uninvited guests I serve the best.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Birdshot smaller than BB is NOT adequate for defense against human targets, unless it's absolutely the only thing you have on hand. I can't recall how many times I've posted it here, but a firsthand, short-range encounter with a rabid coyote and birdshot convinced me for all time that birdshot is not effective for defense.

Buckshot is what you need; in 12 gauge, 00 through #1 will be just dandy. The "reduced recoil" law enforcement loads are a good choice. And you don't need 3-inch magnums, as they just are tougher on the shoulder and only throw a few more pellets downrange. For 20 gauge, buckshot loads are available from #1 down to #4, any of which should be OK.
    aus71383 and tokerblue like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I load #6 shot & #7 shot for the first two rounds, followed by #4 Buckshot. Using buckshot indoors is problematic, if you have loved ones sleeping on the other side of the wall you are shooting towards. Bird shot will encourage your subject to "put some yonder" between himself and that gun, and RIGHT NOW!!!
    I've got the family in the house, so my shotgun loading is similar to the above.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

NMB
    00 Buckshot is a proven man stopper. Dont mess with what works.
    aus71383 and atctimmy like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

For a little education try The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration testing

i keep my rem 870 home defense 12 gauge loaded with 6 remington 00 buckshot 2 3/4'' and their 6 big brothers 3'' 00 buckshots in the side saddle!

#1 Buckshot

Best blend of penetration vs number of pellets

Birdshot is for little birds

Anything that will reach the vitals will go through interior walls, which are nothing but glorified cardboard

If an assailant is inside your house, the time for warning shots, "owie" birdshot, etc is over - he needs to be stopped, and stopped hard
    yz9890, tokerblue and peckman28 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you are worried about over penetration you need to think not only about the size of the shot but also about its spread. I use only Federal Flite Control buck because at inside the house ranges, it will have the smallest spread. This year I switched to the newest Federal load - the #1 buck reduced recoil load.

See this write up on Box of Truth: The Box O' Truth #56 - Federal Flight Control #1 Buckshot - Page 1

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the responses. Very interesting and helpful.

I have decided to go with a first round of #4. If that doesn't stop them or generate an immediate and rapid retreat then I am filling out the tube with reduced recoil #1 buckshot to finish the job.

Merry Christmas everyone!!
    peckman28 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Birdshot smaller than BB is NOT adequate for defense against human targets, unless it's absolutely the only thing you have on hand. I can't recall how many times I've posted it here, but a firsthand, short-range encounter with a rabid coyote and birdshot convinced me for all time that birdshot is not effective for defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Birdshot is for little birds

Anything that will reach the vitals will go through interior walls, which are nothing but glorified cardboard
    - I agree 100%. I waterfowl hunt and birds don't always die immediately when hit with smaller shot. I also can't tell you the amount of times I've butchered a bird and find that the shot has barely penetrated the feathers and skin.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. Very interesting and helpful.

I have decided to go with a first round of #4. If that doesn't stop them or generate an immediate and rapid retreat then I am filling out the tube with reduced recoil #1 buckshot to finish the job.

Merry Christmas everyone!!
    I think you've made an excellent choice, and should you fail, it won't be for inadequate equipment. Good luck, and lets hope you never have to test your setup first-hand.

good info.,

The Firearms Tactical Institute reports;
    "Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

An Indepth Guide to 12 Gauge Shotgun Ammunition

VIP Member

We should really defer to Joe Biden on this one guys.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    You asked for the best load? Here it is, end of discussion.

Federal low recoil 1 buck buckshot

G T Distributors Product Detail
    ^^^^ this

Federal Flight Control #1 Buck.

From Dr. Roberts:

The new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99583

-john

# 1 buck reduced power loads.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links