Best home defense shotgun ammo?

This is a discussion on Best home defense shotgun ammo? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Up-close & personal = 12g/OOBuckaroo Not so up-close & personal, too, out a little ways = 12g/sluggo's...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best home defense shotgun ammo?

Up-close & personal = 12g/OOBuckaroo

Not so up-close & personal, too, out a little ways = 12g/sluggo's

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I load #6 shot & #7 shot for the first two rounds, followed by #4 Buckshot. Using buckshot indoors is problematic, if you have loved ones sleeping on the other side of the wall you are shooting towards. Bird shot will encourage your subject to "put some yonder" between himself and that gun, and RIGHT NOW!!!

A sidesaddle installed on the weapon will allow you to choose your rounds, depending on the scenario. Couple of 00Buck rounds, and a couple of rifled slugs ride my sidesaddle.

Be safe.
    ************************************************** *****************************************
    I like this logic of mixing up what's in the tube. My 870(7+1 gun) Tactical has #8 shot in it right now. My shotgun would be for shooting down my hallway on the 2nd floor where my bedroom is. The hallway is 12-15 ft long tops. My handgun and 6P SureFire are on the nightstand, with a second handgun+reload nearby...so if the Remington comes out it's to "sweep" that hallway. NOW, with that in mind...I might need to go bigger(maybe #1 Buck for the first 5 with the last two in the tube being slugs)than what's loaded up now . Definitely need a side-saddle and a different loading configuration like stated above just in case the fight is somewhere other than my 2nd floor hallway!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

birdshot and slugs

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The bigger the pellets the deeper the penetration but the less stopping power. So it depends on which is most important. I disagree that 000 buck in a 12ga. is a waste for close range home defense.It's quite good actually and would probably be a good choice for home defense. Even bird shot in the chest at close range leaves a devastating wound and will knock you down hard. (I am not advocating using bird shot)
    I've been hit by #3 bird shot at close range, and it did it's job, trust me! Having said that though, what I now keep are alternating rounds in the magazine of #4 bird shot and slugs, and the same arrangement in the 5 shot extra carry on the buttstock. Maybe a strange choice, but if ya get hit with either, you're probably not goin' anywhere fast except the hospital or morgue.

Best home defense shotgun ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by mswdawg View Post
    good info.,

The Firearms Tactical Institute reports;
    "Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."
    Everyone, please re-read this and think about it. #1 is the SMALLEST that reliably penetrates the MINIMAL recommended amount.

What is the opposite of minimal adequate penetration? I think the phrase you are looking for is INADEQUATE penetration.

-john

The ammo you have in or on the gun at the time.

My choice is a #4 or 00 Buck.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I go with nickel plated 00 buckshot with a slug or two available on the saddle.

What people seem to never mention when answering this question is the definite possibility that the bad guy may well take some cover and/or hide behind walls (especially if he hears you racking the shotgun), under the [thick wood] dining table, behind furniture, etc. I want something that will shoot through the furniture, not something that is going to have to go through furniture, then a leather jacket, then a hooded sweatshirt, etc. Although I would consider #4 buck in some limited scenarios (small apartments with cheap furniture), I don't think it's quite enough of a penetrator to stop the threat with the first few shots - if needed to definitely penetrate a bad guy after first going through walls and furniture. That's why I would keep a slug or two close as well. To compound matters, there may well be two bad guys behind walls and furniture. It's doubtful that you will have the common "open/unobstructed shot from 10 feet away on one bad guy" that people seem to always assume when they discuss the [unwanted] penetration of 00 buck.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    00 buck for me. Never had to use it, but I sure wouldn't want to be shot with it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Big fan of Foster type slugs. Favorite right now is the PDX1 segmented.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

Yes! Though most slugs will raise the spectre of overpenetration. That said, I have quite a few hot glue slugs that are quite, well.... bad ass. They dump most of their energy very quickly and expand to a few inches making them wicked threat-stoppers. I think my next creation is gonna be another box or two of shells where I drizzle hot glue into the top of an opened shell of #4 buckshot - just gluing together the top 12 pellets or so. Kind of a PDX + glazer effect. We shall see how they pattern and penetrate... I don't have too much heartburn (or wallet burn) because I'm using the Cheddite #4 buckshot on sale for $90/case at ableammo.com.

However fun the wax slugs and other customer rounds are to make and however effective they be, I still feel just a little bit more comfortable with commercial ammo in the bedside gun that I have patterned at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTexas View Post
    Yes! Though most slugs will raise the spectre of overpenetration. That said, I have quite a few hot glue slugs that are quite, well.... bad ass. They dump most of their energy very quickly and expand to a few inches making them wicked threat-stoppers. I think my next creation is gonna be another box or two of shells where I drizzle hot glue into the top of an opened shell of #4 buckshot - just gluing together the top 12 pellets or so. Kind of a PDX + glazer effect. We shall see how they pattern and penetrate... I don't have too much heartburn (or wallet burn) because I'm using the Cheddite #4 buckshot on sale for $90/case at ableammo.com.

However fun the wax slugs and other customer rounds are to make and however effective they be, I still feel just a little bit more comfortable with commercial ammo in the bedside gun that I have patterned at the range.
    Oops "custom rounds" not "customer rounds".

I also have a feeling that the #4 buckshot hot glue rounds will spread and penetrate better after contact than the birdshot hot glue rounds, due to the size of the individual pellets.

However, ya just never know until ya test it. I've seen many ballistics gel tests for either buckshot, or slugs, or was/hot glue slugs, etc. But I've never seen any for buckshot hot glue slugs. :-| And I don't know how to make ballistics gel, nor do I have land where I can go shoot :-(. I will keep the board posted though when I do get some results. - Keith in Tomball

My Mossberg 500 is loaded with 4 rounds of 3" 00 Buck and one 2 3/4" slug. I can't fit 5-3" rounds, but I can fit 4 and one 2 3/4" round! I said, hey, if I want one more round, but I can't fit another 3" buck in there…what should I do? Easy answer? Put in the slug!
    Last edited by pittypat21; October 31st, 2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarity
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

First 2 rds in my Mossberg is high brass turkey loads 5 1/2 shot. Next is 3 00 buck and 2 slugs. Sidesaddle has 3 buck and 3 slugs.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Rio Royal #4 buck, only 21 pellets and shoots softer so my wife or kids can use it if needed. However, I just switched over to Remington #1 Buck, 16 pellets for winter.

birdshot.jpg

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    For INSIDE a home between #1-#4 is very good. For anything OUTSIDE a home either #00 or #000 will work fine. YMMV.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Here's a good discussion on defensive shotgun loads:

Self-defense shotgun shell selection guide & FAQ
    marcclarke likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links