Speaking of interesting AR .223 carbines, here's one for sure...

This is a discussion on Speaking of interesting AR .223 carbines, here's one for sure... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tangle, that model is just running a normal low profile carbine gas system right? The parts that might wear and deteriorate during shooting are going ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Speaking of interesting AR .223 carbines, here's one for sure...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Tangle, that model is just running a normal low profile carbine gas system right? The parts that might wear and deteriorate during shooting are going to be the BCG and barrel, both commonly found parts and relatively easy to replace. The uniqueness of that gun to me is the front stock, which shouldn't take any wear. I am assuming you can remove the front stock and top rail and place it on another gun ya? I can't see the photo too clearly so I can't really tell.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Tangle, that model is just running a normal low profile carbine gas system right? The parts that might wear and deteriorate during shooting are going to be the BCG and barrel, both commonly found parts and relatively easy to replace. The uniqueness of that gun to me is the front stock, which shouldn't take any wear. I am assuming you can remove the front stock and top rail and place it on another gun ya? I can't see the photo too clearly so I can't really tell.
    Good points, thank you for that.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how the thing comes apart or if it's compatible with a regular AR stock. I know the forend attaches differently, here's a pic, not sure you can tell much about it though.

And of course the carbon fiber receiver is tapped for the flattop rail.

I'm gonna have to dig out my manual on it and see if it's any help.

Thanks for the thoughts - certainly encouraging about longer term sustainability. Hmmm, Bushmaster took over Professional Ordnance, I just might give them a call.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Well, it's a little different than an AR:

In this pic you can see a big difference. The upper will not tilt down like a normal AR. Both the rear and front pins have to be pushed through, but not out, and the upper lifts out of the receiver. The tube like thing that engages the recoil spring prevents the tilt. Oh, the tube like thing doesn't go under the hammer as indicated in the pic.

Also notice how the stock attaches - significantly different. That little lever at the rear of the receiver rotates and releases the stock.

And here's a close-up of the bolt and charging handle:

Oh, and BTW, this version weighs 4-1/4 lbs; the current Carbon 15 offerings from Bushmaster weigh 5-1/2 lbs - a full 1-1/4 lbs heavier!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Lead Moderator
    I owned a Bushmaster version of this rifle. The hanguard should be attached to the gas block via a single screw. The takedown manual called for removing the stock and then unscrewing the buffer tube.
    Mine was slightly different with a short rail on the upper and a QD comp on the muzzle. It was light weight and ran fine , however the brass deflector on mine fell off. Also during rapid fire the muzzle break would detach and fly forward. At one point I had installed a standard buffer tube, stock and quad rail. Eventually I got tired of it and traded it for a S&W 15-22.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I just checked Bushmasters website, and their carbon 15 pistol has a similar stock as yours, so I bet they could provide you with parts or service if necessary.

Bushmaster - Carbon 15 Pistols
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I wouldnt worry about the value. Im guessing in the near future it will probably double. I might use my stag for retirement purposes LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Only one thing to do....paint them pink and put Hello Kitty stickers all over it,ATF would never find it since they would be focused on black guns
    You mean like this one?
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts - certainly encouraging about longer term sustainability. Hmmm, Bushmaster took over Professional Ordnance, I just might give them a call.
    Do it. When Bushamster first took over the Carbon 14s, they looked just like yours does for at least a couple of years. They should be able to give you the guidance you need.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links