Mossberg 500 function question

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 function question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have this old 500AB that I've had sitting around in the back of my safe for years. I've never messed with it over the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcp1810
  • 1 Post By DontTreadOnI

Thread: Mossberg 500 function question

VIP Member

Mossberg 500 function question

I have this old 500AB that I've had sitting around in the back of my safe for years. I've never messed with it over the years but I recently decided I should take it out and at least give it a few rounds just to check it out.

Anyway, while I was giving it a quick cleaning I realized that the trigger doesn't function as I would have expected so I'm wanting to verify that it's jacked up as opposed to just different to my other pump shotguns. Basically the trigger won't depress unless the safety is engaged then disengaged. I know my other pump actions will dry fire simply by pumping the action, but this one apparently needs the safety actuated. Is this normal for an unloaded Mossberg or is mine defective?

2. Remove Ads

Mine has never functioned like that. I would have to say one of ours does not work right and at the moment I would bet it is yours.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    That's what I assumed, but since I don't own any experience with Mossberg I didn't know if it was some weird safety feature to keep it from dry firing or something like that. Thanks for the reply! I guess it's going back in the safe...

I would take the trigger group out and put it back in. They can be a little tricky. Could be something a little off.
    TX expat likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I would take the trigger group out and put it back in. They can be a little tricky. Could be something a little off.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at it this weekend and see if that gets it functioning properly.

Search YouTube for Mossberg 500 disassembly. It's not that difficult. It may just be that it is very dirty. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I actually just took it apart. It was filthy inside. Funny how it didn't look bad on the outside but whomever had this before I got it rode it hard and put it away wet. Probably literally. There was a ton of rust and pitting on some of the internal parts. I cleaned it up as best I could without taking the entire trigger group apart and it's still not functioning. I may try again and give it an even more thorough cleaning. Thankfully I don't "need" it, but I was hoping to start using it as a defensive option. Maybe I need to just buy a new one!

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffetslayer View Post
    Search YouTube for Mossberg 500 disassembly. It's not that difficult. It may just be that it is very dirty. Good luck.
    That's how I learned it. You really can find out how to do anything by watching YouTube these days... At first I thought it was overly difficult, but now I could do it with my eyes closed and actually like how it comes apart.

Also, welcome to the forum Buffet, not often that someone's first post is actually an informative one, cheers

Edit, video for future reference to others:

Last edited by DontTreadOnI; December 20th, 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Video added
    TX expat likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    ^^^this^^^

Thanks for the help!

VIP Member
    Well here's an update. I did some youtube surfing on how to take apart the trigger housing and I got started on that today. It was a failure/success. I got going on it and quickly got stuck with the pin holding the trigger itself in place. I tapped it, pushed it, tapped it harder and was darn close to beating on it but it is stuck in place. This apparently is the crux of the issue, because it doesn't allow the trigger to move free on that axis, it won't reset without being pushed, which is what cycling the safety appears to do.

I did manage to free the pin so that it will at least rotate with the trigger, so now the trigger does fully return to the correct position. I guess I could just order a new trigger housing and be done with it, but if I decide to go that route I'm going to jackhammer that pin out just because!

While it is not as much fun sometimes it is cheaper (but slower) to give it a squirt of your favorite plastic safe gun solvent of choice, give it a tap then repeat half an hour or so later. The slow paitent victory does have it's own satisfaction in a way. But there are times when life just calls for a ten pound sledge hammer!

VIP Member
    Very true. After I realized that I had made some headway, I doused the whole assembly with PB Blaster. Normally, I take more care with anything firearms related, but I figured it was already broken, so there couldn't be any real harm in trying. I did let that sit for 20 minutes or so and then went back at that pin and it was as stubborn as ever. Whomever had this sucker before I got it must have done some deep sea diving with it!

I'll take it out to the range and test it out then maybe I'll have another go at the trigger housing. I guess as long as it works it's fine, but I don't know how much I can trust it to not lock back up...

Mossy 500 series shotguns are a wonderful combination of relatively inexpensive, relatively indestructible & commonly available. And PB Blaster won't hurt ANYTHING about that shotgun. Remember when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a...nail. Buy & replace any questionable parts. Then enjoy the anvil-tough reputation it has earned.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links