Defensive Carry banner

Surefire AR 15 Mags 60 & 100 round.

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  atctimmy 
#1 ·
How good are they (Surefire Mags)?

Is it overkill and given the weight, 30s are the way to go?

In general, any thoughts on what 30 round ar 15 mags (.223 / 5.56) are good and what ones to avoid?

Thank you.

#3 ·
100 bucks per? Wow

#5 ·
The surefire 60 works great. I've put a bunch of rounds through it with no issues. No experience with the 100 though.

That said, I would rather run a 30 rounder. One of the huge benefits of an AR platform is it's light weight. I think the 60 rounder makes it too front heavy. I would be using a piston rifle if the weight wasnt such a big issue. Ounces add up!

#6 ·
Regarding the Surefire 60 round mags, my opinion is that they would be nice to have if you are a combat troop walking a patrol in A-Stan or Iraq and are caught in an ambush.

In that case having a higher capacity mag during the initial exchange while you are scrambling to get out of the "kill zone" and trying to find some cover and don't want to have to reload while you are still out in the open. In which case, I think only one would suffice to have in your weapon as your initial magazine. For that use, the extra weight of having 60 rounds in your M4 may be warranted After that, regular 30 rounders work just fine.

I have heard nothing but good reviews regarding the reliability of the Surefire 60 round mags. I saw a pretty good YouTube video of some extensive testing in various weapons. And they are pretty well balanced.

But my combat days are long behind me. And I was an Air Winger anyway. So as a civilian, I can't justify the expense. Especially in light of this most recent school murder spree and how the price is just going to go through the roof. If a high capacity magazine ban goes in effect (and there is more than a fair chance of that happening) they will be on the list for sure.

So, if you want one, and fear they will be unavailable in the future, better get some now. The price is only going to go up, and be more and more scarce.

As a civilian, and even during a "zombie apocolypse," I am just fine with 30 rounders.

#7 ·
Truthfully, a 30 round magazine is a standard capacity magazine. Whereas, the 60 and 100 rounders could be considered high capacity.

I can't see any use for one, myself, due to their weight. Unless you're holed up in a defensive position like a house or similar.

Only $.02

#10 ·
How good are they (Surefire Mags)?

Is it overkill and given the weight, 30s are the way to go?

In general, any thoughts on what 30 round ar 15 mags (.223 / 5.56) are good and what ones to avoid?

Thank you.
P Mags are great. Steel USGI mags are great.

Anything made by Thermold or called "master molder" mags are crap. Avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: Bark'n
#12 ·
Thanks, important to know & thanks to all for replies. Gives me a place to start. Not much poimt starting now, as everything is sold out, but com late Jan / Feb. I should check out the ar forum. Thanks also for any others who post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.