Ruger 10/22 with BX-25 as a defensive rifle

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 with BX-25 as a defensive rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently own one BX-25. It is great. I've owned other high capacity mags for rugers and immediately if not shortly after they start to ...

Thread: Ruger 10/22 with BX-25 as a defensive rifle

I currently own one BX-25. It is great. I've owned other high capacity mags for rugers and immediately if not shortly after they start to fail. Ruger got the BX-25 right. Plan on buying more, as it makes plinking a joy.

Do you think a Ruger 10/22 with BX-25 could be effective as a defensive rifle. Certainly not suggesting this would be the next battle rifle for a modern army. Just talking home defense. I can get 25 hollow point rounds of .22 LR to hit a target the size of a tea cup in 20 to 30 seconds at 50 or so feet easy. No kick, can hit multiple targets, easy to transition. Could effectively provide cover fire.

I'm not as experienced as others on this forum when it comes to real world (or fo that matter tactical practice). Would like to hear some thoughts.
    Last edited by Thanis; December 21st, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Many a man have been killed by .22LR. There's no reason as to why a 10/22 equipped with a BX-25 could not be an effective HD weapon. The 10/22 is a proven platform and as you have already mentioned, it has low recoil making follow up shots a snap.

Would it be my first choice? No. Could it be pressed into service in pinch? Oh yeah... Lead (accompanied by a nice little visible flash and audible bang) coming anywhere near your general vicinity generally tends to make people rethink their current course of action.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Good luck finding BX-25 magazines. On the topic of could it be an effective defensive tool? Absolutely. First, no criminal wants to get shot, and secondly, 25 rounds of .22 placed on target in about 6 seconds would be a deterrent in my opinion. Be sure and tape a second BS-25 mag to the inserted one for a quick reload.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

RKM
    I agree with Rollo. Not my first choice. But I'd be more than happy with a 10/22 with a good magazine. You can easily put 10 rounds on target very quickly. 10 rounds center mass with ANY caliber is going to at the very least, make your targets day very unpleasant.

I keep my 10/22 ready, but not as a primary weapon. More so to throw to a loved one if needed. I even had a TLR-1 on it until I gave it to my father for his G19. Now my 10/22 is light-less. Not to worry, three other long guns have lights. Off Topic: I kinda want a Marlin 336 with an Aimpoint and a light ;)

In the right hands it would get it done.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsored Links