Eotech optics

Eotech optics

This is a discussion on Eotech optics within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking of getting one for my AR. Just how far out can these be used say without a magnifier ?? Wanting something to shoot from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eotech optics

Eotech optics

Thinking of getting one for my AR. Just how far out can these be used say without a magnifier ?? Wanting something to shoot from up close to maybe out a few hundred yards. Thanks
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I dont believe they magnify anything by themselves.

I meant with a magnifier behind them....I just don't know much about the red dots or holographic type sights. I know range depends on ammo etc but just wondering how far out you can put the dot on something and hit it ??
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

I find 200 yards is max. 100 yards is a piece of cake.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

If you can check one out before you buy, you're going to want to take note of how crisp the dot appears, and how large it is. Looking at a target at 50 yards is one thing, but at 200, the entire target could be covered by the dot.

VIP Member
    I have shot the Army qualification course with one numerous times, and that uses targets from 50 to 300m. The relatively small (1 MOA vs 2 or more MOA for other "red dot" sights) center dot of the EOTech is one of the reasons that I prefer them over the Aimpoint in most cases.

I have shot 500m with the EOTech a few times, but at this range the dot is large enough to cover much of a man-sized target. The shots can still be made, however, you just need to "know your dope" and your zero, and understand that you won't be able to see everything. And, of course, it's still smaller than the standard front sight.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OPFOR...Which EOTECh are you using if I may ask ??

Thought more people had Eotech's ????

VIP Member
    A lot will depend on what model you get, dot size wise.

A 2 MOA dot appears as 2 inches on the target at 100 yards, 4 MOA = 4 inches and so on. Anything past say 300 you really have to know the dope on the bullet/rifle combination. I use the standard model 512, I think if I remember right, with a 2 MOA dot.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I think a few people are talking about EoTech's that have MAYBE never used them. The EoTech holographic sight is top of the line and, in fact, is in use with at least one Tier 1 group that I personally have knowledge of. It can easily be used out to 300 meters, as previously stated, on the Army standard qual. I personally used one on my last outing in 2009. I liked it so much, I now have one sitting atop my personal AR at home.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I'm running an HHS-1 on my 6.8mm and at Boulder on a table I've been on the steel targets at 200 yds and out to 300 yards with supported prone.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Spovic wrote "If you can check one out before you buy, you're going to want to take note of how crisp the dot appears, and how large it is. Looking at a target at 50 yards is one thing, but at 200, the entire target could be covered by the dot."

WOW is all I can say. You have never shot one have you. It is only a 1 inch dot at 100 yards. I have no problems with it out to 200 yards for deer. never tried it a 300.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    A lot will depend on what model you get, dot size wise.

A 2 MOA dot appears as 2 inches on the target at 100 yards, 4 MOA = 4 inches and so on. Anything past say 300 you really have to know the dope on the bullet/rifle combination. I use the standard model 512, I think if I remember right, with a 2 MOA dot.
    All Eotechs are 1 MOA

steve

I have the 512 with magnifier, 200yds isn't bad but I think any further the dot gets too big.

I have the XPS2.0 currently and had the Eotech mag on top of my DD AR for @ 6 months. I really prefer the Eotech reticle for 100 yards and in. The mag would allow me to make pretty accurate shots out to 200 yards max (thats just me), it became a hassel to flip it to the side every time I wanted to use it without which was the majority so I got rid of and and honestly do not miss it. I have a beater AR with a rifle scope that is much more fun for longer distance range shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links