Your thoughts on my new AR and magazine madness?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on my new AR and magazine madness? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two decisions to make, and would like to get everyone's thoughts. I was planning to buy myself an M4 configuration AR-15 for my ...

Thread: Your thoughts on my new AR and magazine madness?

I have two decisions to make, and would like to get everyone's thoughts.

I was planning to buy myself an M4 configuration AR-15 for my birthday in March, but decided it might be a good idea to swing by the gun store now. My local shop is selling them like crazy of course, but they had one left in exactly the configuration I wanted. Not my favorite brand name, but this model gets great reviews, so last night I picked up a Diamondback DB-15 FDE.

Diamondback Firearms

So I need to pick out some sights or optics. I like the idea of a red-dot, but my budget is under $200 so I'm thinking I'll get the Magpul fold down irons for now and plan on optics down the road. At the same time, Amazon has a wide variety of low power scopes and red-dot systems in my price range ... are any of them worth looking at? I seriously doubt I'll want or need to reach out farther than 200 yards.

The other issue is that it only came with one magazine. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a German made H&K 30 rd before my local shop sells out just so I have a second. It's a really nice mag, but it's $60. Should I ride out the magazine madness we're in and see if the online prices comes back down?

Thanks in advance!

Irons work great. I would get metal ones myself.

A light is a good idea, and a sling.

I doubt there will be laws made about red dot sights. I suggest learning to shoot with the irons, and saving up for a quality red dot if you decide you want one.

Magazines for $60 is insanity. Wait a while and the prices will go down. Order some from Brownells or Midway on backorder and you'll get them when you get them. Last night there were magazines on Gunbroker.com selling for $98 a piece - today they are down to $40-50. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and trying to make a quick buck, which is driving the prices down. Be patient about the magazines.....

That's my advice!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    I have two decisions to make, and would like to get everyone's thoughts.

I was planning to buy myself an M4 configuration AR-15 for my birthday in March, but decided it might be a good idea to swing by the gun store now. My local shop is selling them like crazy of course, but they had one left in exactly the configuration I wanted. Not my favorite brand name, but this model gets great reviews, so last night I picked up a Diamondback DB-15 FDE.

Diamondback Firearms

So I need to pick out some sights or optics. I like the idea of a red-dot, but my budget is under $200 so I'm thinking I'll get the Magpul fold down irons for now and plan on optics down the road. At the same time, Amazon has a wide variety of low power scopes and red-dot systems in my price range ... are any of them worth looking at? I seriously doubt I'll want or need to reach out farther than 200 yards.

The other issue is that it only came with one magazine. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a German made H&K 30 rd before my local shop sells out just so I have a second. It's a really nice mag, but it's $60. Should I ride out the magazine madness we're in and see if the online prices comes back down?

Thanks in advance!
    I agree on getting the irons now and saving up for optics.

As for the mags, your guess is as good as anyone's right now. $60 stinks, but good luck finding PMags for now! I bought 10 last week for $12 ea, but I may have gotten the last 10 in North America!

Is there a Gander Mountain or Cabelas near you? They had 'em last time I looked (last weekend), but they were ~$25 ea. IIRC.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm thinking. Been shooting irons my entire life (even have a scar on my nose that I got at 6 from dad's M1) so I'll be more than happy with them. Just trying to resist the temptation to buy cheap optics.

The Magpul fold-downs I've been looking at are polymer, and run $90 a set. What would you suggest in the metal range?

VIP Member
    Don't buy a cheap sight. If you need to use irons for a while then run irons until you have more cash.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Troy for folding, LMT for fixed. That's what I like anyways.

Austin

Thanks, everybody!

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'm also investigating different sighting systems for my RRA AR-15. I came across this from the EOTech webstie that I thought I'd share.

L-3 EOTech has become aware of several counterfeit offerings of the HWS and magnifier product line. Produced in China and Korea, and distributed throughout the US, these counterfeit products are red-dot sights built to look exactly like a Holographic Weapon Sight on the outside. Often, the appearance between the genuine EOTech products and the counterfeits is nearly indiscernible, including replications of registered trademarks.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Officerstore.com has PMAGS for 15 right now. Don't spend 60 on a mag. I bought 15. I'll probably sell 10

I went ahead and back ordered two of those PMags. Although I could probably pay for my rifle if I upped it to 10 and sold the rest on eBay!

A Vortex Strikefire is a nice $169 red dot that Palmetto occassionally puts on sale for $119.

VIP Member
    Well congrats on the purchase. I agree stick with irons for a bit until your budget and your experience with the rifle increase to make an informed decision. In regards to mags there may be a bit of confusion, original HK steel mags were already expensive so they have not increased that much.

PMags are stupidly expensive right now don't worry with them find some GI mags and go on about your business.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
    A Vortex Strikefire is a nice $169 red dot that Palmetto occassionally puts on sale for $119.
    I just got an email that it is $40 off $169 with the code STRIKE

That Strikefire is really tempting, and it looks like a great sight for the money. The thing I don't like about it is that it's only paralax free up to 50 yards. I realize that 1" off at that distance isn't bad; especially when it's due to an issue that you can clearly see and correct when you're looking through the scope (if I understand it correctly it only happens when the dot is close to the side of the scope, right?).

But I also know that a good set of irons won't have that issue, and I'm just OCD enough to be bothered by it.

After thinking about it, I'm probably going to go with the Troy Industries fixed Tritium sights. I love Tritium sights, I prefer fixed, and I have a great deal of confidence with irons. Thanks everybody for taking the time to share your experience with me!

Sponsored Links