re- re- re-visiting the legality of adding mag extensions to a Benelli shotgun...

This is a discussion on re- re- re-visiting the legality of adding mag extensions to a Benelli shotgun... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I have Benelli M4, M2 Tactical, and Supernova Tactical shotguns, it is extremely important to me whether it is legal to add a magazine ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RonM0710

Thread: re- re- re-visiting the legality of adding mag extensions to a Benelli shotgun...

Senior Moderator

re- re- re-visiting the legality of adding mag extensions to a Benelli shotgun...

Since I have Benelli M4, M2 Tactical, and Supernova Tactical shotguns, it is extremely important to me whether it is legal to add a magazine extension to them. You get all kinds of conflicting opinions on the internet about the issue. Calling the BATFE seems to be of little benefit, so I figured if anyone should know, Benelli themselves should. So I called them.

I specifically asked if I could legally add a mag extension tube to my M4, M2, and Supernove Tacticals. Without a hesitation, he said, you can as long as it is American made.

That's it for me. I'm happy with that!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

You might want to contact the State Police or the State's Attorney General's office to find out what state law is. I know some states have made it illegal to even put a pistol grip on your shotgun.

As an example CT state law says: It is a banned "Assault Weapon" if it is a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
    -a folding or telescoping stock;
    -a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    -a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
    -an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Since I live just 50 miles north of you, let me know what you find out.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM0710 View Post
    You might want to contact the State Police or the State's Attorney General's office to find out what state law is. I know some states have made it illegal to even put a pistol grip on your shotgun.

As an example CT state law says: It is a banned "Assault Weapon" if it is a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
    -a folding or telescoping stock;
    -a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    -a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
    -an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Since I live just 50 miles north of you, let me know what you find out.
    Good idea, but I find often the ones that should know, don't know and you can get 'safe' answers saying you can't do something that you really can and they're just playing it safe. Or, they could say it's ok and it isn't.

Hmmm, I've got one more resource though that I'd trust...

I made the call, waiting for a call back. Let you know as soon as I know.

Senior Moderator
    I thought I told you that already?

The thing about the BATFE is that they all have their little areas of expertise. If you get the right person, thats great, they can give you a good answer. The rest of them are just shootin from the hip and it may or may not be right...thus the conflicting stories you get from them.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I thought I told you that already?

The thing about the BATFE is that they all have their little areas of expertise. If you get the right person, thats great, they can give you a good answer. The rest of them are just shootin from the hip and it may or may not be right...thus the conflicting stories you get from them.
    I think you did, but there are still these conflicting reports. I feel good at the Federal level; now I just need to verify at the State level.

Links