Ruger Scout Rifle

This is a discussion on Ruger Scout Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I get emails from Ruger when they post new videos on their YouTube site. I recently got this one. Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Training -- ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Ruger Scout Rifle

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Ruger Scout Rifle

I get emails from Ruger when they post new videos on their YouTube site. I recently got this one.

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Training -- Introduction - YouTube

Looks interesting. Anyone have one? Opinions?

Here is their official site

Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Don't have one but have been keeping my eye on one. Also considering a 77 in 308 with open sights. I'd like to know what folks that own and shoot them think too ExactlyMyPoint.

I don't have one, but I do have some other .308 caliber rifles - no bolt actions yet.

My opinion is - there are better options available. If I wanted "just one rifle" and it was going to be a .308 - why would I choose a bolt action? Spare mags cost $70 and they only hold 10 rounds. It has a 16.5" barrel, and weighs 7 pounds. Sounds like an FAL or PTR-91 would be a better choice.

Austin

I think the scout is a great concept. There is probably too much emphasis put on capacity, although for now we have a choice, and choices are a good thing.
    As an all purpose rifle in a medium caliber, Id love to have one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The Ruger Scout rifle was on my short list when I went shopping for a .30-something rifle last year. In the end, I went with a Marlin 336 "Package" lever gun in .30-30, mainly on the basis of cost. For less than $500 I got a NIB rifle, scope and sling. The Ruger would have been close to $800, plus glass.

The other factor is that I just like tubular magazines, because you can top them off on the fly rather easily. No need to buy more magazines, to make sure they function properly in the gun, etc. Maybe I'm getting old fashioned...
    glockman10mm and ctr like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I want a GSR. Maybe they won't ban 'em....
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

I too, was looking at the Ruger Scout really seriously. I like the concept and would like to get one sometime, but I bought a PTR-91 instead.

I like the idea of the 30-30, too. That seems like one of those "everyone should have one" guns.

Anyway, if you get the Ruger, let us know how you like it.

Cool Gunsite Scout

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout.It has a Nikon M-223 2.5-10x40mm Laser IRT Riflescope mounted on it with a set of legs mounted under it. I was looking at all the 308 Win but kept coming back to the Ruger. I have been feeding it a pretty healthy diet lately with the cost of ammo. It is my grab gun to play , night pigging or spur of the moment deer. I love this gun. I just hope ammo comes back down to earth. I would hate to have a 2 thousand dollar boat paddle.

I don't see the need...except for the cool factor look...Kinda looks like wannabe M1A but it still a bolt action.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Links