Just got my first AR and need advice

This is a discussion on Just got my first AR and need advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased my first AR two weeks ago. I have two things I need advise on, 1) where is the best place to mount ...

Thread: Just got my first AR and need advice

I just purchased my first AR two weeks ago. I have two things I need advise on, 1) where is the best place to mount a light, side rail or bottom rail? 2) the stock on my DPMS has a lot of movement and noise, is there anyway to reduce this without replacing it?

Most people mount the lights on the side,It's possible that the locking pin on the stock may nor be going into the pin hole very far,there is a roll pin that keeps the knob from loosening and coming off,you may see if there is room to unscrew the nut a couple of turns until it bottoms out and leaves enough room to reseat the roll pin,but make sure you can also release it when you pull the lever.Most of the cheaper CAR stocks have some movement.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Buy a nicer stock. Is it a Commercial or Mil Spec extension ?? You can now purchase the B5 Systmes SOPMOD stock for half the price of the LMT SOPMOD. $99 at most retailers online, if you can find them in "stock"

B5 has been manufacturing the Enhanced SOPMOD stock for some time now for the military. LMT just wants too much for their SOPMOD/Crane stocks. The B5 SOPMOD fit my Mil Spec extensions very tightly. In fact, I needed to lube up the extension just too give some movement. But, not tight enough that it's too tight. No wobble from the B5 SOPMOD stock

Trust me, you'll enjoy this stock very much and it's available in FDE and Black.

Here: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod45294.aspx

Just a thought.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Need advice for you ar. With all the loons wanting to ban our guns. My advice hide it. (jk)

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Need advice for you ar. With all the loons wanting to ban our guns. My advice hide it. (jk)
    WARNING....DANGER.....DANGER.....WARNING WILL ROBINSON

watch what you post on the web...... there are those other then just Santa whom are making a list , and checking it twice

Buy yourself a "Slide Fire" stock for it. It's expensive, but man is it fun!!!
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Most people mount lights on the side, otherwise it can get in the way of the sling (if you have one)

The wobble of the stock is normal unless you buy a better quality one. I'd get an MOE if it bothers you, it's about $75 and is supposed to be very good. If you're on a budget you can stick a small piece of Velcro on the inside of your stock (use the soft side). You may have to trim it down a bit so it fits, but it has been done by a lot of people.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Thanks for all of the advise. With the gun, ammo,magazines, quad rail, vert grip purchases, I am tapped out, so for now I think I will try the soft shim method until I can get more money.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    sorry 1dawg but I couldn't resist } post #5

There are more ways and things to do and buy to accessories rifles with then could ever be covered here. That's why...do I dare say they call it the BR-bug.

As for where and how to mount things like flash lights, RD's, scopes, etc. It's where-every they feel comfortable to you. There is no right or wrong or too much to get. The stuff you can buy are like; we all have a drawer full of holsters.

As for the stocks movement and noise. Could just be a loose nut or too much play??

Good Luck in your adventure.

Also go checkout AR15 Armory.com

Sponsored Links