SKS magazine problems

This is a discussion on SKS magazine problems within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an SKS with an aftermarket synthetic tactical stock and prom mag poly magazines. The gun won't take a mag with the bolt foward. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: SKS magazine problems

SKS magazine problems

I have an SKS with an aftermarket synthetic tactical stock and prom mag poly magazines. The gun won't take a mag with the bolt foward. You pull the bolt back and the mag falls in. Is this normal or do I need to get this weapon checked out??

2. Remove Ads

Every SKS that I have ever seen with feeding issues had aftermarket magazine assemblies.

The rifle is designed to be fed by stripper clips into a fixed box magazine, which is the way it is most reliable.

It probably doesn't need checked out, it is just the nature of the beast when you try to make the rifle operate in a different manner than it was originally intended to.
    oneshot and gasmitty like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

SKS magazine problems

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Every SKS that I have ever seen with feeding issues had aftermarket magazine assemblies.

The rifle is designed to be fed by stripper clips into a fixed box magazine, which is the way it is most reliable.

It probably doesn't need checked out, it is just the nature of the beast when you try to make the rifle operate in a different manner than it was originally intended to.
    It feeds the rounds fine. You just can't get the magazine in it with the bolt closed.

On the original fixed mag, the bolt rides inside the feed lips. The aftermarket mags have to work the same way, which makes changing them a pain.

The bolt does in fact have to be locked open to change them easily.

Best bet is to go back to the 10-round OEM and use the gun the way it was designed.

VIP Member
    Mine still has the original wood stock, but the 10 rnd. was removed to facilitate 5 round mags for using the rifle for deer hunting.
    You must have the action open all the way, and you do have to finesse the mags in, but they work fine.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

SKS magazine problems

I filed down the back of the mags where they wouldn't drag so heavy going in and out... Still have to pull the bolt back to get the mag in....

Links