Perspectives: So-called 'assault weapons' due place in society

This is a discussion on Perspectives: So-called 'assault weapons' due place in society within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have often heard the uninformed make statements like: "why would anyone need an assault weapon?" or, "normal people don't need guns that can fire ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zacii

Thread: Perspectives: So-called 'assault weapons' due place in society

We have often heard the uninformed make statements like: "why would anyone need an assault weapon?" or, "normal people don't need guns that can fire so many bullets at once", or "private citizens have no need for military weapons".

Take a minute and peruse this news article: Perspectives: So-called 'assault weapons' due place in society.

The author makes a very reasonable argument why every day people like you and I, need military style weapons with standard capacity magazines. He also has some very reasonable points with which we may be able to assuage the masses of people that are ignorant, and ill-informed about guns in general.

A couple of excerpts:

First and foremost, the term ďassault weaponsĒ is a purely pejorative description of firearms that are self-loading; meaning that they fire exactly one shot each time the trigger is pulled. They may share certain cosmetic features with the select-fire assault rifles used by the military. But itís the intent of the user and not merely the looks of a firearm that determine whether it is being used for good or evil purposes
    that need is just as real for law-abiding citizens who donít have the option of radioing for backup
    a military-style, self-loading rifle in the hands of the law-abiding citizen is much more akin to a life preserver than an instrument of evil.
    peckman28 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

An excellent article, thank you for sharing. The libertarian argument against gun control is what brings out the most sympathy from me.

Administrator
    I can't disagree with any of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like most of it but he lost me at the description of an "assault weapon" which is a fully automatic weapon used mostly be the military.... My AR15 resembles an assault weapon but its is only a semiautomatic firearm accessorized to look like an assault weapon.

Edit: many ARs do not fit the gov description either
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Yup. Good article. Consisted mostly of Jeff Cooper quotes....hmm

Austin

Re: Perspectives: So-called 'assault weapons' due place in society

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    I like most of it but he lost me at the description of an "assault weapon" which is a fully automatic weapon used mostly be the military.... My AR15 resembles an assault weapon but its is only a semiautomatic firearm accessorized to look like an assault weapon.

Edit: many ARs do not fit the gov description either
    That was the point he was trying to make. What the media calls assault weapons really aren't.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and where you got lost.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Dead-on-accurate article.

Links