pardon my overall ignorance!

This is a discussion on pardon my overall ignorance! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am seriously interested in purchasing an AR platform rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO .308 WIN. So my questions are as follows, 1, what manufacturer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: pardon my overall ignorance!

I am seriously interested in purchasing an AR platform rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO .308 WIN. So my questions are as follows, 1, what manufacturer is most reliable and most user friendly? 2, will that AR fire both 7.62x59 rounds and commercial Winchester .308 rounds? 3. Is barrel length of serious concern as in 16in vs. say 20in barrels? Sorry for all the questions, but I am an angler who also owns some firearms and I will be moving to Alaska and will want to hunt with this AR. thanks so much for any idea/information you might be able to provide.
    oh, and Merry Christmas to you all.

RKM
    The most affordable one you'll find is probably a DPMS. Their 5.56 guns seem to get a lot of hatred, but not so much their 7.62 guns. It should be able to fire .308 and 7.62NATO rounds. The difference between those two rounds aren't as drastically different as .223 vs 5.56 is. And if you're using the gun primarily for hunting, why not go with the 20" barrel? If this was going to be a defensive gun, I'd say go with the 16" as it will still provide lethal power. The .308 round doesn't depend on barrel length nearly as much as the 5.56 does, because the 5.56 needs velocity to work correctly. Without velocity, it's just a fast .22LR. Whereas, .308 is still a big, heavy bullet even at slower speeds.

Wish you luck in finding one. Where I live I have seen one left on a rack its was a Daniel Defence priced at a sky high 2400. Merry Christmas to all

I'm thinking you mean 7.62 x .51 not .59.
    There is headspace difference between the two rounds and vastly different pressures. The .308 maxes out WAY higher (by 20,000 PSI if I remember correctly), over the 7.62. So, you're probably safe shooting a 7.62 out of a .308, but not necessarily vice-versa.
    As far as a great reliable brand, if money is no object, the LaRue PredatOBR is simply amazing. It'll set you back $3,500 before optics and other fun stuff, but like any LaRue rifles, it's a beast.
    But, as someone else notes, good luck. The wait time for a PredatOBR is 4-6 months. Probably not that big of a deal considering every gun store in the US is completely out of any AR and AK platforms anyway.

VIP Member
    I would try to find an FN FNAR.
    They were around $800-900 before Sandy hook
    They are really well made rifles.
    They are NOT really AR style rifles, but.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I live in SE Florida and there are not many AR style weapons available that are affordable, even the on line suppliers no longer quote a price but say call for information. My LGS has a used DPMS Panther listed at $2,499.00. He also has Magpul 30 round AR magazines listed at $40. That is about a 50% increase in price since the first of last week. I did not check the new price for .223/5.56 ammo.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

the way things are going, you might start looking at the gun shows before it's to late. most stores are sold out.

Good luck finding one and if you do it most likely will not be reasonable priced..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    the way things are going, you might start looking at the gun shows before it's to late. most stores are sold out.
    Gun shows will have them priced thru the roof if they have any,right now is not the time to be trying to buy an AR anything.I have an Eagle Arms (Armalite) AR10 with a 20"bbl and 2 10 and 2 20 round mags,the gun cost me about $1000 7 years ago,but your gonna pay at least 1300.00 before the insanity
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Until this whole "Gun Issue" is resolved ~ as in DC makes a final decision...for the time being, the insanity will continue. This is going to be slightly worse than '08 in all aspects. All mags, semi auto anything, ammo and reloading components are going to be like gold, and fetch the same pricing.

If you waited until now to get in the game, you are too late. I got caught short on bullets, and now may have to consider making some, and that will suck.

What you do need to do is help fight any new legislation coming out of the lofty seats on the hill.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    I'm puzzled by the posted question. I'm assuming that the hunting you plan to do in Alaska will be
    for fairly large game, and that there are better choices for that purpose than what you are speaking of.

I'm not a hunter or "into" rifles, but if you could state what sort of game you want to hunt in Alaska I might
    be able to make a phone call to a friend who has been a professional big game hunter and has hunted
    bear + in Alaska, and get his recommendation. I know he got the world's record lion kill (or so he claims) with a
    bolt action rifle. I can hardly wait to see that cat when he is done doing the taxidermy. The photos are astonishing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    1st thing first. Does Alaska's fish and game laws allow you to hunt with a semi auto rifle?
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

You want an AR chambered for 308 Nato done right it can also revert to 5.56 Nato get it right the first time
    Colt LE901-16S

Re: pardon my overall ignorance!

I believe that there are minimum caliber requirements if you're going after bear.

Any thing else I'm sure the .308 will suffice

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You want an AR chambered for 308 Nato done right it can also revert to 5.56 Nato get it right the first time
    Colt LE901-16S
    Never knew they made one and was wondering how it could switch since the Cartridge/magazine length is a lot different,so I found the Youtube Video,the price the LE901 costs could basically allow you to buy 2 different guns one in 308 and one in 5.56.There is one for sale on Gunsamerica for just under $2200 without the 5.56 upper,I'm assuming that any Milspec Upper in 5.56 would work
    Gun of the Week: Colt LE901-16S - YouTube
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links