Look at my new AR/recommend an optic for me

This is a discussion on Look at my new AR/recommend an optic for me within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is my first AR. A Stag Model 8. Built in new Britain CT 25 minutes away from my house. I need some recommendations on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Look at my new AR/recommend an optic for me

Here is my first AR. A Stag Model 8. Built in new Britain CT 25 minutes away from my house. I need some recommendations on optics. I don't plan on shooting too too far with it. Maybe 200-300 yards max but mostly closer than that for my target plinking pleasure. Hoping to stay under $500. Don't need something mil spec just quality and reliable not the cheap $30 ones on eBay that are like 8 MOA. Help a new AR guy out here guys!

Aimpoint Micro H-1 or the Patrol Optic, or EOTech 512, all under $500 if you shop around.

My H-1 has a 4 MOA dot, and they are now available with 2 MOA. I'd prefer the smaller dot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Aimpoint Micro H-1 or the Patrol Optic, or EOTech 512, all under $500 if you shop around.

My H-1 has a 4 MOA dot, and they are now available with 2 MOA. I'd prefer the smaller dot.
    Looking for a new sighting system for my AR as well. I plan to shoot with iron sights for a while and then make a decision. However, I appreciate gasmitty's suggestion. I am curious about any comments or reviews that compare Aimpoint to Eotech. I've searched the web for a direct comparison and can't find any (they're all about one or the other but not a comparison). If anyone knows of a good site that compares sighting systems, I would appreciate it if you might share that.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

You can probably find valid experiences with both, if not a direct comparison, on AR15.com and other "tactically"-oriented sites.

EOTechs earned themselves a bad rep in the sandbox for a few reasons. First, they were never as rugged or robust as the Aimpoints, and there were several problems with the battery contacts failing due to loss of springiness, and entry of moisture. Next, battery life didn't hold a candle to the Aimpoints - an order of magnitude difference between the two. Last, most Aimpoints have a single control, just brightness, which is important in the heat of battle. The EOTechs require fingers on two buttons to turn them on, the buttons are tiny, and if you press them in the wrong sequence the sight will automatically shut off after a certain length of time. Newer models have addressed the button location and battery contacts. Not perfect, but - better. The big advantage I find with the EOT is that big ol' 65-MOA ring... that just helps me get on target faster.

I think if you are not using the optic in combat or other really hard use, the differences in performance between the two sights get pretty small. If you get an EOTech, just remember to change batteries every 6 months and keep spares on hand.
    Tangle likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    The AimPoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) would be a great reasonably priced choice.

Keep in mind that the AimPoint optics keep their value really well as long as you don't completely beat it up cosmetically which it sounds like you likely will not do. You WILL get a fair price for one used but, in Very Good condition since folks know that they are pretty much indestructible and they are good for a gazillion hours of useful life.
    Rollo and Sticks like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

congrats on the new AR 15,nice choice!

check the millet dms 1

Sponsor

Re: Look at my new AR/recommend an optic for me

I recently got a Burris Mtac 1-4x, I think for me I've found the best set up. The best of both worlds

I have the burris mtac 1-4x as well. It is a really
    Nice scope, the glass is clear and it has an illuminated reticle. I have had mine for about 3 months, if you are interested in it I will sell it. I am just going to change my optics up on my ar
    QKShooter likes this.
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Personally I think the Aimpoint Pro is the best bang for the buck high quality optic out there. Paid $370 for mine from MidwayUSA,
    Sticks and atctimmy like this.

I have an Eotech 512 and love it. Problem free and really fast target acquisition. About battery life. Yes it is limited...to about 600 to 800 hours depending on the brightness setting. For me, at least, that's a long long time between battery changes. I paid $365 for mine.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ...The EOTechs require fingers on two buttons to turn them on, the buttons are tiny, and if you press them in the wrong sequence the sight will automatically shut off after a certain length of time...
    The EOTech does not require two buttons be pushed to turn it on. I'm not sure where this particular myth came from, but I've heard it before... Pushing either the "up" or "down" brightness button will turn it on. You must push both of them simultaneously to turn it OFF, but not on. Additionally, the sight will ALWAYS "auto shut down," regardless of what button you push to turn it on - it is a matter of how long (8 hours from time of last "button push" if you turn it on by pushing the "up" button, 4 hours if you push the "down" button) it will take. (Note that this is for the older 512/552 series. The XPS3 has a programmable auto shut off, but it still doesn't matter what "sequence" you use to turn it on.)

Battery life is greatly increased in the newer EOTechs (and it was never BAD to begin with, it just wasn't as good as the better Aimpoints). Battery contact issues have long been resolved.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    guess it can depend on the magnification that you want. For 200-300 you don't need much 3-4X should be good.

I have a newer 512. Auto shut down is 6 hours or 8 hours depending on which button you decide to use turning it on. As for needing to push both buttons to shut it off manually, there is a reason for this. It is intended to take specific effort to shut it down as the optic is intended as a combat tool. You don't want to accidentally shut it off.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    For the price (around $375), there is nothing on the market that can touch the Aimpoint PRO. It comes with a lower 1/3 cowitness mount and has a battery life right about 3 years left continuously on. Oh and it's an Aimpoint.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links