Steel case ammo

This is a discussion on Steel case ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The only ammo I can find for my ar at the time is steel case ammo lined in sync zync I believe. Does anyone have ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Steel case ammo

Steel case ammo

The only ammo I can find for my ar at the time is steel case ammo lined in sync zync I believe. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can not find anything else anywhere

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

at least you can find .223.. I found two boxes this week and they were brass but were $35 for 20 rounds... No thanks

Although I cannot comment on all brands of steel cased .223, I have personally witnessed AR shooters experience jam after jam with this type of ammunition. On gentleman and his son were firing Wolf Polymer coated ammunition in their AR's and became so frustrated by constant jams and hang ups, that they gave me nearly three hundred rounds just to get rid of it. My Mini-14 seems to tolerate steel cased ammunition better than AR's. I suspect that the problem is mainly the low power loadings that are used in Russian steel cased .223. AR's in particular seem sensitive to this type of ammunition. My recommendation would be to order or purchase a small quantity, and test it in your rifle. If it works well, order more and enjoy. If it gives you issues, continue your search for brass cased ammunition. Good Luck.

Re: Steel case ammo

My spelling was horrible lol. I've shot steel before and it was fine, I've just been told that it'll mess my rifle up. I just need some ammo. Everybody bought it up before I could blink

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it. Shoot it and enjoy.
    MacNobody likes this.

some say and do have problems with it in the ar. i tried it once in one of my ar's and did not have any problems. but i am not big on using it in my ar's. that is as long as i can get brass case ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My Saiga loves them

VIP Member
    I am guessing here but you are probably talking about Silver Bear Ammo. Steel cased with a zinc coating. I buy and shoot a lot of it when home and don't really have any issues with it. In general steel cased ammo is ok as someone else said buy a little and see if your rifle likes it and go from there. I shoot it in my AR's and in 9mm variety.

One of the most logical explanations on steel cased ammo is this. The steel casing does not expand in the chamber as brass ammo would so the gases, crud and grime can fill the void so to speak between the casing and chamber wall. After awhile it simply builds up to a point that it is harder for the gun to eject the empty casing. This is especially true when you have been shooting steel cased and switch over to brass. The brass casing now expands in a regular manner and all the crude that was in there makes the chamber dimension smaller which in turn causes the cases to stick and refuse to extract.

MAC channel and others have some videos on the subject.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Myself and a good friend had issues with steel lacquered cases. However I have had good luck with silver bear just requires a little more clean up do to non expansion to chamber. The lacquer however on some such as wolf can heat enough to act similar to glue if your rifle cools after extensive shooting with a round in the chamber then you can have fun removing broken shells after ripping the case head off. Which was the problem my friend and I had luckily now if it happens again he purchased a case remover not sure how it works as I haven't used it. In my ak I use only steel case however there designed for steel case commy fodder.

I think it's kinda hit and miss and could be due to the chamber dimensions being either 223 or 5.56,I've heard even some barrels marked 5.56 need to be reamed out to be a true 5.56.
    I have a Ruger Mini 30 7.62x39 and an AR upper in 7.62x39,the Mini 30 shoots Silver Bear Zinc cased ammo with no problem,but the AR has had cases stick in a hot chamber and it seems to have ripped a lug off the bolt(The Bolt may have had a defect from the factory)
    Jon Consiglio is the go to AR Guru on this forum he really seems to know his stuff and can give a lot of insight into real world experience.PM him with a message
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    This is a topic riddled with myths. Tacman explained it well, it isn't the polymer or lacquer coating on the casing - nor has it ever been - the base issue is that the steel doesn't expand. Buy the cheapest ammo you can find and go shooting! Shoot safe.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    I use it in the winter (snow) so I don't have to find my brass. Never had a problem with it for target shooting. Never shot it at more than 240 yards so I don't know how accurate it is.

Links