Winchester model 1300 opnions?

This is a discussion on Winchester model 1300 opnions? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a chance to buy a winchester model 1300 home defender. It is a black synthetic stock with the pistol grip. I have only ...

Thread: Winchester model 1300 opnions?

I have a chance to buy a winchester model 1300 home defender. It is a black synthetic stock with the pistol grip. I have only seen pics of it and my nephew tells me its in good shape but I still need to lay my hands on it. I am thinking I can get it for around 200-250 dollars. I believe it comes with a case. What is everyones opnion on this? I need/want a shotgun for my home defense scenerios and I dont have one. I dont have a lot of experience with shotguns so I could use some help. Seems a lot of guys dont like the pistol grip?? Thanks guys!

VIP Member
    The 1300 is a very good HD shotgun. Jump on it.

I don't like a pistol grip only but a pistol grip stock is A-OK.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    The winchester 1300 is an adequate pump shotgun. i owned one for years, and it worked perfectly. they are not finely made, but perfectly functional. i had a turkey gun model and it was heavy and had awful recoil. no idea why.as for the pistol grip, my personal opinion is very negative- shoot the gun from the shoulder, as intended. i have no clue why pistol grips are used by anybody.your eyes are the rear sight on a shotgun. with a pistol grip, you are just shooting from the hip, so to speak.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

It's a solid gun. Winchester fell out of favor with law enforcement and military due to ownership issues (much like Colt a decade ago), and they didn't pursue those markets. Nature abhors a vacuum, so Remington was joined by Mossberg as prime players in that field. That takes nothing away from the Winchester, but beware that there may be fewer aftermarket accessories available for the 1300 than for the 870 or the Mossbergs.

But realistically, you really don't need much more than basic sights, maybe an extended magazine, provision for a white light, and a sling. I'm not a big fan of pistol grips on shotguns, but that's based more on 30+ years of handling shotguns while hunting; YMMV.

Bottom line, it's a good gun for the price range.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

A great 'farm' gun...go get it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just to clarify guys it is a pistol only grip. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    Just to clarify guys it is a pistol only grip. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    Not to worry. You can get a regular type stock and swap it out quite easy. I'd still buy the shotgun.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Sponsored Links