Lack of reasonably priced rifles? Work with what you've got...

This is a discussion on Lack of reasonably priced rifles? Work with what you've got... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had planned on buying my first AR-15 after the new year, but we all know what happened resulting in insane prices and little availability. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Lack of reasonably priced rifles? Work with what you've got...

Lack of reasonably priced rifles? Work with what you've got...

I had planned on buying my first AR-15 after the new year, but we all know what happened resulting in insane prices and little availability. I decided to go another route and give an old Hungarian AK (AMD-65 carbine) some love instead. I've owned it for a number of years in a completely stock condition and it's a great shooting little carbine. I went onto Amazon and picked up a quad-rail fore-end, new red dot reflex sight, and new grip. I guess I'll just have to dance with the one that brung me until things settle down. I would imagine many of you might be doing the same.

I'll get some pics after delivery and installation.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I own no high capacity semi-automatic rifles, and don't intend to acquire any.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Took my TLABR* to the range today. It still does the job.

("Tactical" Lever Action Battle Rifle)
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

A lever gun is a great defensive rifle that doesn't garner dirty looks (unless it's that hideous monstrosity Mossberg recently came out with). I had my dad's pre-64 Model 94 for years before he decided he wanted it back. I'm looking for a new lever gun simply because they're practical and fun to shoot.

I have an AMD-65 that I grabbed when they were selling for around 400 bucks. Figured I couldn't go wrong.

The gun shoots great. In fact, it shoots surprisingly well. I'd like to refinish mine because it was scuffed up when it arrived (I didn't notice at the time) and I tried to touch up the spots with a Birchwood Casey "Super Black" touch up pen. Oops, I should have left well enogh alone. My "touch ups" shine like new money.

I figure that Gun Kote and a red dot sight will really spruce up this little gem. Maybe some new grips, too, because the originals are ugly, scratched up gray things. I look forward to seeing pics of yours when you get the new goodies installed.

SOF Truth #1 people are more important than hardware.

I'd rather have a Warrior that is dead nuts with a lever gun than a zero with the most expensive AR on the market loaded with gimmicks.
    darbo, Hopyard, SIXTO and 4 others like this.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Yup! I was considering getting into more rifles this next year. Now, I think I will wait and see what happens over the next six months.

I think I can cope with life owning only a .22 lever gun and an WASR.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Either work with what you got, or what you can get. Now anything is better than nothing.
    sixgun likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    I have an AMD-65 that I grabbed when they were selling for around 400 bucks. Figured I couldn't go wrong.

The gun shoots great. In fact, it shoots surprisingly well. I'd like to refinish mine because it was scuffed up when it arrived (I didn't notice at the time) and I tried to touch up the spots with a Birchwood Casey "Super Black" touch up pen. Oops, I should have left well enogh alone. My "touch ups" shine like new money.

I figure that Gun Kote and a red dot sight will really spruce up this little gem. Maybe some new grips, too, because the originals are ugly, scratched up gray things. I look forward to seeing pics of yours when you get the new goodies installed.
    Flat black high temp grill works great for touch ups. I removed the front grip on the AMD some time ago and don't miss it and you're right-those gray plastic grips that come on the gun are hideous. That little AMD is a great shooter and has always been one of the best values of any AK variant. I paid $329 for mine back before the first run on EBR's when BHO was first elected.
    lowercase likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I have enough handguns to keep me happy for a while.

VIP Member
    Yeah I am afraid that the days of reasonably priced black rifles may be long gone or at least delayed.

On gunbroker it was pointed out to me by a buddy of an SKS converted to take AK mags, nothing else special about the gun, was selling for and currently being bid on for $1900.00.

As stated it is the man behind the gun not the gun itself.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

A .357 lever action is on my list! As is another .357 revolver. Probably a ruger
    darbo likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    A .357 lever action is on my list!
    Wanted one for awhile myself. Can see picking up a lever action rifle or two in the future. Always looking for an opportunity to acquire a new firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Either work with what you got, or what you can get. Now anything is better than nothing.
    This is what I plan on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    SOF Truth #1 people are more important than hardware.

I'd rather have a Warrior that is dead nuts with a lever gun than a zero with the most expensive AR on the market loaded with gimmicks.
    Thats why they invented hand grenades for those who can't hit the broadside of Earth with a firearm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links